Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?

Go down 
+26
jstate
TheGooch
XYZ
MetalRob331
MetalGuy71
candlemass
Muloc7253
rattpoison
HellRaiser
Stender
spiritoradio
powermacho
scottmitchell74
Tall Tyrion
ultmetal
SAHB Healer
krokus
kmorg
7thSecond
UltraMagnus007
mc666
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Temple of Blood
DeathMasqueRed
Required Fields
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:34 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Wow, are we kicking this tired can around again?

In the 70's before the term heavy metal was overused, bands like AC/DC were considered such. Hard Rock was like Cheap Trick or Heart. Rock N Roll was The Rolling Stones.

It's all your point of view. If you don't call AC/DC metal then that's understandable.

firehouse I know you are younger than most of us so you look at things differently than say a guy who was concious during the 70's like that Trog fellow (who is 50 something I think).

AC/DC will always be metal to me.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the changes in the times. I know that bands like Aerosmith, Thin Lizzy, etc, were considered metal. I don't argue against that one bit. However, aside from some of their material (like Let There Be Rock), I would think that, even in the 70s, they wouldn't have been considered, or, at least, would've been teedering on the border of, heavy metal. I see AC/DC like Foghat, more heavy blues/hard rock. Was Foghat considered metal?

Anyway, my whole thing with the term rock'n'roll stands. I scream rock'n'roll even when I'm at metal shows.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:37 pm

7thSecond wrote:
get_the_firehouse wrote:
I've always felt that AC/DC's "Ballbreaker" had a metal sound to it, particularly in the guitar tone.
Well being as AC/DC is a metal band that's not exactly a suprise. scratch

Amen! Preach it brutha! This subject will never go away until people learn the history of the music.

I can probably quote 100 articles from the 70's and 80's touting AC/DC as one of the kings of heavy metal. I can remember seeing Angus' face on just the cover of every metal magazine in existence in the early 80's. I can also remember a time when if you said, "I like heavy metal" people would automatically respond back, "oh, so you like AC/DC and Ozzy Osbourne?" I have the Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal, which indeed features every AC/DC album and also has "Back in Black" as one of the Top 10 Heavy Metal albums of all time.

Examples of rock and roll in the 1970's:
Peter Frampton, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Styx, The Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Supertramp, The Doors, Yes, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, Donny Iris, ELO, Chicago, the Rolling Stones, Foreigner, Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson, Billy Joel, Elton John, Jackson Brown, BTO, Bob Segar, Rod Stewart, Cream, The Yardbirds, Janis Joplin, Sly & the Family Stone, Three Dog Night, John Lennon, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Blondie, Grateful Dead, Grandfunk Railroad, Elvis Presley, The Kingsmen, The Cars, Todd Rundgren, Linda Ronstadt, Santana, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Cheap Trick, Joe Cocker, America, The Moody Blues, Buddy Miles, Bread, Little River Band, The Kinks, Hall & Oates, Humble Pie, Firefall, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Neil Young, Chuck Berry, The Tubes, Allman Brothers, Edgar Winter, Peter Gabriel, The Knack etc.

Examples of 1970's Heavy Metal, or "proto-metal" if you will:
Aerosmith, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, KISS, Ted Nudgent, Blue Oyster Cult, Dee Purple, UFO, Rush, Wishbone Ash, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Rainbow and AC/DC.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:40 pm

get_the_firehouse wrote:
Anyway, my whole thing with the term rock'n'roll stands. I scream rock'n'roll even when I'm at metal shows.

It's all rock and roll! That's usually how I end this argument! However, I think this thread was more about band's that are WAY outside of heavy metal that have a song or two that sound heavy.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:41 pm

Quote :
Examples of 1970's Heavy Metal, or "proto-metal" if you will:
Aerosmith, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, KISS, Ted Nudgent, Blue Oyster Cult, Dee Purple, UFO, Rush, Wishbone Ash, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Rainbow and AC/DC.

I challenge anyone to listen to 2112 and tell me it isn't metal.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:49 pm

I had a friendly disagreement with a friend about 20 years ago regarding whether AC/DC were hard rock or metal. I said they were metal, but he had some good points.... I don't know, I guess I could go either way on that question....

Get it? Go either way? AC/DC? I'm a comedic genius, I am...
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:53 pm

Quote :
Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Fortunate Son"
Good call!

Early Rush was certainly Metal. Working Man is flat out Metal!

Quote :
AC/DC is most definitely not metal. They are rock'n'roll, plain and simple.

Thus sayeth the 20 year old!! Haha!! The vast majority of their catalogue was done before your birth. I don't mean this as bad as it sounds, but you're in no position to say AC/DC isn't Metal. It's not your call. You have the right to say it, but you'd simply be wrong. Anyone with any credibility knows this.

AC/DC not metal???? Suspect

Janet Jackson - Black Cat
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:56 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Janet Jackson - Black Cat

Really good call. That song rips. 🤘
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 8:33 pm

this whole rock vs metal argument has been done to death on this forum, with everyone always trying to sound like the genre authority. piss on it.

back to topic...
INXS - The Devil Inside
Sinead O'Conner - The Emperor's New Clothes
Tom Petty - Runnin' Down A Dream
Ice-T - The Girl Tried To Kill Me
Blondie - Call Me
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell

SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 9:27 pm

The Chills- Background Affair
Suburbs- Monster Man
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 10:06 pm

The sweet - No you don't (this sounds to me like a black sabbath song) headbanger

The sweet - set me free(definitely a thashy song)
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 10:26 pm

The Osmonds - Crazy Horses
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 11:10 pm

Um powermacho.....

It's definitely a thrashy song because it IS thrash, it's by a band called HEATHEN. They're covering the original song "Set Me Free" by Sweet, or The Sweet. That's not the original version, lol.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 12:15 am

Journey--Seperate ways(worlds apart)
Ween--You F*cked up
Christian Death--The drowning(that Riff!!!!)
Dread Zeppelin--Heart breaker
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 12:41 am

Glass Tiger - Animal Heart

Heavier than their usual fare, especially the opening riff.
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 12:45 am

decapitate wrote:
Um powermacho.....

It's definitely a thrashy song because it IS thrash, it's by a band called HEATHEN. They're covering the original song "Set Me Free" by Sweet, or The Sweet. That's not the original version, lol.

Funnily enough though, Heathen's cover isn't that much heavier or more aggressive than the original.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 1:43 am

AC/DC sure is Heavy Metal, and so they are Rock N' Roll and Punk.

That mid to late 70's saw a slew of new bands who said enough of the bullsh*t (Led Zeppelin, Prog Rock etc.) lets get back to the roots. But in doing so played the old original 50's rock n' roll louder and faster than before (60's garage rock ala the Sonics, Standells etc were influences aswell as was the like minded unpretenious back to the roots early 70's rock n' rollers the NY Dolls, Rod Stewart/Faces, MC5, Stooges etc.).

So you had the Damned, The Saints, AC/DC, Sex Pistols, Motorhead, Rose Tattoo, Dead Boys, The Dictators, The Runaways, The Clash etc. all coming out in the back half of the 70's all bound by a common attitude musically (ideology was definately split differently though).

All were metallic and heavy and could be called Heavy Metal. As they are Punk and Rock N' Roll.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 2:16 am

This thread started by Sahb has some good suggestions that relate to this thread. It's practically the same without the rock n' roll/metal debate. Laughing

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/it-s-only-rock-n-roll-f8/rockers-from-unlikely-sources-t2269.htm
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 2:52 am

Yes thanks. It's my favorite musical hobby, looking for some real muscle amongst bands that are more broadly known for pop hits, novelty tunes, or ballads. A lot of my favorite bands (SAHB, 70's Journey, Sweet, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Henry Gross, Bob Welch, etc.) fit loosely into this group. It's fun to find heavy rock in places one doesn't expect.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 3:47 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
It's fun to find heavy rock in places one doesn't expect.

Yep so true, we can search the Quarry all day for it but it's always somewhere else where it is most enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 8:36 am

Petra - All Fired Up

Sweet - Action.

Raven's cover of this song rules.

Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 9:20 am

rattpoison wrote:

Alright, I definately need an explanation of this scratch

The AC/DC being a metal band debate will never end, because 'heavy metal' has no fixed meaning, and the barriers are decided by the individual. You could argue that they just play 50s rock and roll but louder and harder, but who's to say that stops it from being metal? That might be somebody elses view of what metal is (Rattpoison, for instance, or maybe Eyesore have a totally different view of what makes a band metal than, say, just an expansion of Sabbath). Likewise, the opposition could say that AC/DC were on all the metal mag covers and such...again, so? My Chemical Romance have been on numerous Metalhammer covers and were voted band of the year in the magazine, Limp Bizkit and Green Day have been on tons of Kerrang covers, Linkin Park and Nickelback are labelled as metal by VH1, iTunes, Yahoo Music etc.

The point is, it depends on your own definition of metal which, although they'll all be somewhat similiar, is different in EVERYONES eyes. And this discussion goes for Blue Cheer, KoRn, Led Zeppelin, Rage Against The Machine, Last Days of Humanity and whoever else. Repeat, there is NO fixed definition of heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 9:37 am

Billy Thorpe - Children of the Sun
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 9:42 am

Muloc7253 wrote:
rattpoison wrote:

Alright, I definately need an explanation of this scratch

The AC/DC being a metal band debate will never end, because 'heavy metal' has no fixed meaning, and the barriers are decided by the individual. You could argue that they just play 50s rock and roll but louder and harder, but who's to say that stops it from being metal? That might be somebody elses view of what metal is (Rattpoison, for instance, or maybe Eyesore have a totally different view of what makes a band metal than, say, just an expansion of Sabbath). Likewise, the opposition could say that AC/DC were on all the metal mag covers and such...again, so? My Chemical Romance have been on numerous Metalhammer covers and were voted band of the year in the magazine, Limp Bizkit and Green Day have been on tons of Kerrang covers, Linkin Park and Nickelback are labelled as metal by VH1, iTunes, Yahoo Music etc.

The point is, it depends on your own definition of metal which, although they'll all be somewhat similiar, is different in EVERYONES eyes. And this discussion goes for Blue Cheer, KoRn, Led Zeppelin, Rage Against The Machine, Last Days of Humanity and whoever else. Repeat, there is NO fixed definition of heavy metal.
cheers

candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 10:10 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 10:47 am

decapitate wrote:
Um powermacho.....

I know that men. But I couldn't find any of the 2 songs, so I put the cover from Heathen, which is exactly the same
🤘
And the other song from THE SWEET - No you don't, Sounds like a black sabbath song to me, I don't if anyone else see that comparation

PETRA - KINGS OF KINGS

Last edited by powermacho on Mon May 19, 2008 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next