Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?

Go down 
+26
jstate
TheGooch
XYZ
MetalRob331
MetalGuy71
candlemass
Muloc7253
rattpoison
HellRaiser
Stender
spiritoradio
powermacho
scottmitchell74
Tall Tyrion
ultmetal
SAHB Healer
krokus
kmorg
7thSecond
UltraMagnus007
mc666
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Temple of Blood
DeathMasqueRed
Required Fields
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Empty
PostSubject: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 7:50 pm

I know that there are many bands who are more rock bands than anything, but have some songs that could be categorized as metal in their catalog. Maybe multiple ones. We'll only count bands who never released a "metal album" though, as many bands changed their style over the years. What is the most "metal" song you can think of, by a band who were never metal in the first place?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
DeathMasqueRed
Metal novice
Metal novice
DeathMasqueRed

Number of posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm a huge fan of the Smashing Pumpkins, and they have several. "The Aeroplane Flies High (Turns Left, Looks Right)" comes to mind. And "F*** You (An Ode to No One)", especially when played live.

I haven't figured out how to embed videos yet. Please pay no mind to the way Billy is dressed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_evk2R4wGU

Last edited by DeathMasqueRed on Sun May 18, 2008 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 8:02 pm

Survivor - "Burning Heart"
Mike and the Mechanics - "Silent Running"
Genesis - "Land of Confusion"
Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Fortunate Son"
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 8:08 pm

Styx - Miss America

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 8:13 pm

STP - Sex Type Thing
Petra - Mindfield
Night Ranger - Don't Tell Me you Love Me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 8:38 pm

The Beatles - ''Healter Skelter''

To me it's one of the first Hard Rock song even Heavy Metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 9:52 pm

lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBawsRE_t9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAL-Nc2lfBY

All those songs kick booty! Frickin' Sum 41. Haha. Who woulda thunk it?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 4:01 am

thejokeriv wrote:
STP - Sex Type Thing
that was the first one to come to mind for me too.

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 4:19 am

I've always felt that AC/DC's "Ballbreaker" had a metal sound to it, particularly in the guitar tone.
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 11:57 am

Nice one Eyesore. When I first saw this thread the first thing that came to mind was pain for pleasure by sum 41, the only good song this band ever did. I haven't seen the video for ages.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 12:37 pm

Whiteheart - Inside Out
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 12:39 pm

get_the_firehouse wrote:
I've always felt that AC/DC's "Ballbreaker" had a metal sound to it, particularly in the guitar tone.
Well being as AC/DC is a metal band that's not exactly a suprise. scratch
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 1:56 pm

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Tina Turner - We Don't Need Another Hero
Eros Ramazotti - Sense Una Donna (completly wrong title, but that is how I phonetically remember it! Laughing) The opening riff is totally metal!

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 2:02 pm

Soundgarden - Rusty Cage and Birth Ritual

Such an excellent band they were.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 2:04 pm

7thSecond wrote:
get_the_firehouse wrote:

AC/DC is most definitely not metal. They are rock'n'roll, plain and simple.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 2:59 pm

get_the_firehouse wrote:
7thSecond wrote:
get_the_firehouse wrote:

ELVIS PRESLEY is rock´n´roll and bands like AC/DC are HARD ROCK/HEAVY ROCK/METAL(at different stages of their long history). ROCK for exemple would be bands like ROLLING STONES or DIRE STRAITS but AEROSMITH, TED NUGENT or URIAH HEEP are at least HEAVY ROCK/HARD ROCK, at least.
Of course AC/DC, TWISTED SISTER or KISS sing and celebrate ROCK´N´ROLL in their lirics because the members of those groups grew up with old 50s ROCK´N´ROLL and they had some ROCK´N´ROLL part in their songs but they played a lot heavier then those ROCK´N´ROLL bands from the 50s and heavier then those bands from the 60s that played ROCK, thats why you can call it HARD ROCK or HEAVY ROCK and some of those 70s hard rock bands later did also HEAVY METAL on late 70s and 80s albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 3:44 pm

Many by the Misfits, they are Punk Hardcore.

The album "Earth A.D." sound pretty Thrash a times... Some songs of "Famous Monsters" too!...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:45 pm

krokus wrote:
get_the_firehouse wrote:
7thSecond wrote:
get_the_firehouse wrote:

ELVIS PRESLEY is rock´n´roll and bands like AC/DC are HARD ROCK/HEAVY ROCK/METAL(at different stages of their long history). ROCK for exemple would be bands like ROLLING STONES or DIRE STRAITS but AEROSMITH, TED NUGENT or URIAH HEEP are at least HEAVY ROCK/HARD ROCK, at least.
Of course AC/DC, TWISTED SISTER or KISS sing and celebrate ROCK´N´ROLL in their lirics because the members of those groups grew up with old 50s ROCK´N´ROLL and they had some ROCK´N´ROLL part in their songs but they played a lot heavier then those ROCK´N´ROLL bands from the 50s and heavier then those bands from the 60s that played ROCK, thats why you can call it HARD ROCK or HEAVY ROCK and some of those 70s hard rock bands later did also HEAVY METAL on late 70s and 80s albums.

Don't take the label rock'n'roll too literally. Believe me, I know the differences between original rock'n'roll and hard rock/metal, yada yada. For one thing, though AC/DC is surely hard rock, they also capture the atmosphere of early rock'n'roll in their music, and so I think they are justified in calling their music such. Another thing, the term rock'n'roll doesn't even necessarily mean original rock'n'roll. Why do you think in interviews, concerts, press releases, songs, etc, so many bands refer to their music as rock'n'roll? KISS did/does it; Zeppelin did it; Motorhead, of all bands, did/does it; Aerosmith did/does it; AC/DC (proudly) did/does it; G'n'R, Deep Purple, Ted Nugent, etc, all did it too; even when I saw Ozzy last October, he referred to his music as rock'n'roll. It's such a vague word.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Wow, are we kicking this tired can around again?

In the 70's before the term heavy metal was overused, bands like AC/DC were considered such. Hard Rock was like Cheap Trick or Heart. Rock N Roll was The Rolling Stones.

It's all your point of view. If you don't call AC/DC metal then that's understandable.

firehouse I know you are younger than most of us so you look at things differently than say a guy who was concious during the 70's like that Trog fellow (who is 50 something I think).

AC/DC will always be metal to me.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 6:53 pm

Live - Lakini's Juice, I Alone, All Over You
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:06 pm

Here was a song that was way out of character, whether you consider it metal or hard rock...Bbboogie, by Skyhooks. Skyhooks was basically a fairly light glam band other than this rockin' song. Since the band was all about humor, I suspect they were making fun of some of their Aussie countrymen, especially AC/DC. But that doesn't keep this from being a killer heavy song. I wish I knew how to post a link to it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:13 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Wow, are we kicking this tired can around again?

In the 70's before the term heavy metal was overused, bands like AC/DC were considered such. Hard Rock was like Cheap Trick or Heart. Rock N Roll was The Rolling Stones.

It's all your point of view. If you don't call AC/DC metal then that's understandable.

firehouse I know you are younger than most of us so you look at things differently than say a guy who was concious during the 70's like that Trog fellow (who is 50 something I think).

AC/DC will always be metal to me.

Yep, and early Rush will also always be metal to me because it was considered such when it came out. I really get tired of the genre nazi routine. I mean, unless someone mentions a song by Iron Maiden or Judas Priest in this thread...

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:23 pm

YES - Release, Release

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:26 pm

How about this one?

"Fight For Your Right (to party)" - Beastie Boys

PostSubject: Re: Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?   Most "metal" song by a non-metal band? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Most "metal" song by a non-metal band?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next