Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?

Go down 
+17
EvyMetal
Wargod
nevermore
Smindas
kmorg
DallasBlack
Chairman_Smith
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
ghost
mc666
Thrasher73
Rex
scottmitchell74
MetalRob331
caniplaywithmadness?
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 2:13 pm

I loved the Ripper era and thought it was way to short. I liked the GB more than FA. It is a shame there is not going to be another ripper cd...

Alex

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 12:02 am

ultmetal wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
IMO the signiture Iced Earth sound was still there.

I dunno, on FRAMING ARMAGEDDON it sounded more like the signature Blind Guardian sound to me. I was like "Dude, Jon, maybe you've been hanging around with Hansi a little TOO much!"

That's what I thought too.

I think I know what you guys mean now. It's the layered vocals isn't it? That is the only connection I could assertain from comparing them (two nights ago I shuffled Iced Earth's last two albums and Blind Guardian's last two albums together). I always believed Iced Earth's signature sound was Shaffer's rhythm guitar (the sound of his rhythm playing is fairly unique to Iced Earth-I'm 90% sure I could pick it out of a line up). In the same token I always believed Blind Guardian's signature sound was found in the lead guitars (the sound is extremely unique to Blind Guardian-I'm 100% sure I could pick it out of a line up). So I believe we're both right (the layered vocals are definatly a staple of BG's music and are used a LOT in the last two Iced Earth albums-Framing Armegeddon moreso than GB but Shaffer's signature rhythm guitar is still there). Also speaking as one who listens to many symphonic metal bands, the symphonic elements in FA are not that noticable (except in the interludes-which I skip over-I barely notice it in the songs).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 7:07 am

The Ripper Era is over? Boy have *I* been out of the loop.

I loved the first, but haven't gotten the second. I prefer Barlow but liked the Ripper as well.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 8:17 am

I didn't like either album and not entirely because of Ripper. As others have said, it has as much to do with the songwriting as anything. The Blind Guardian comparisons are spot on. I haven't liked their last two either.

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2