Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?

Go down 
+17
EvyMetal
Wargod
nevermore
Smindas
kmorg
DallasBlack
Chairman_Smith
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
ghost
mc666
Thrasher73
Rex
scottmitchell74
MetalRob331
caniplaywithmadness?
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Empty
PostSubject: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 4:20 am

now its all in the past and stuff, what did u think of the two albums he done with them?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 4:47 am

im not goin to lie i didnt like them at all. I think Jon went a little out of his boundaries because Ripper could do more with his voice. Iced Earth went from being my favorite band to me actually disliking them when Ripper joined them. I liked the more Traditional style and passion with Matt. There were a few songs i liked with Ripper but nothing special imo
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 7:36 am

Loved "Ripper" era and prefer it! Smile
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 7:39 am

I thought both albums were awesome!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 7:59 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Loved "Ripper" era and prefer it! Smile

My sentiments exactly
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 8:10 am

i thought the second one was pretty good.

ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 8:13 am

I think both albums are awsome. I liked the Ripper era, but I prefere the Barlow era before Ripper joined.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 8:21 am

I liked "Glorious Burden" but I'm more in line with MetalRob. Iced Earth went from being one of my favorite bands, to being a band I barely listen to anymore. I too think Jon was going "a little out of his boundaries", especially on the latest CD. Wish he would just stick to straight forward heavy metal and thrash and stop with all the symphonic crap.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 8:42 am

I loved (and still love) THE GLORIOUS BURDEN. The "Gettysburg" epic was worth the price of the album all by itself.

However, I found FRAMING ARMAGEDDON to be a pretty major disappointment. Not so much due to Ripper's involvement (I remain an Owens fan; I think he's got one of the best voices in metal right now), but more for the fact that the album just seemed overcooked. Too many tracks, too many orchestral interludes, thin production, yawn, zzzzzzzzzz.....

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 9:17 am

I agree that the production on the last album was a bit lacking for the KIND of album that it is. It was a little bit flat or didn't have enough dynamics in the production end of it to make it come alive.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 10:11 am

Liked Glorious Burden, don't care for Framing... but not because of Ripper. I think he's a fine vocalist, but like Freddy & Ult stated, the album is too overblown.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 10:16 am

I've never heard Ripper in IE. The only IE I have heard is Burnt Offerings and I suppose it was OK. In other words, I have nothing to input to the conversation. I just like to hear myself type.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 12:58 pm

Still a fan, love The Glorious Burden.

I'm glad Matt is back tho, Beyond Fear is superior to FA
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 1:04 pm

I liked both of them. I don't think Jon did anything wrong experimenting with symphonic stuff, after all it is his band and if he wants to try to expand his repertoire then more power to him. IMO the signiture Iced Earth sound was still there. However, I did like Glorious Burden more, mostly due to the epic trilogy. I am glad Matt is back (I like his voice much more than Ripper's) and look forward to the next chapeter in the Wicked story.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 1:14 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
IMO the signiture Iced Earth sound was still there.

I dunno, on FRAMING ARMAGEDDON it sounded more like the signature Blind Guardian sound to me. I was like "Dude, Jon, maybe you've been hanging around with Hansi a little TOO much!"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 1:14 pm

I absolutly love both of them, and think they are amongst the best this band have done so far. That said, I'd still wished it was Matt doin' them.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 2:00 pm

The Glorious Boredem did nothing for me. However, Framing Armageddon was very enjoyable, if not a bit over the top and filler ridden.

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 2:17 pm

I loved Framing Armageddon and I really like The Glorious Burden. There are a few songs on TGB that I think lack a solid hook, but overall I don't think it deserves the flack it gets. The production is weak, however. Like I said before, albums that came before TGB are louder.

And the Gettysburg trilogy is stunning. The best piece of music Jon's ever written. If you sit down and read the lyrics/story right along with the music, the visuals it evokes are awesome.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 3:25 pm

I loved the Ripper era of the band.
I wish he would have got to stay with the band.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 4:11 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
IMO the signiture Iced Earth sound was still there.

I dunno, on FRAMING ARMAGEDDON it sounded more like the signature Blind Guardian sound to me. I was like "Dude, Jon, maybe you've been hanging around with Hansi a little TOO much!"

That's what I thought too.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Loved ripper era IE, I think Jon needed to use his creative juices and see what all he could amass in is musicl style and abilities. I say if it works both ways go for it but then again there are always those who will disagree and agree, sometimes there is no winning on either front!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 11:47 pm

I haven't got either of the Ripper ones. I have heard some stuff off of Glorius Burden which I can listen to, I mean they sound good 'n all. I don't particularly like his work with JP either.
Back to top Go down
KingPest
Metal novice
Metal novice
KingPest

Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am

To me Overture of the Wicked and Gettysburg were the two best things Owens did in IE. Kind of strange considering that the Gettysburg and Something Wicked trilogy were both originally intended for Barlow. Framing Armageddon and the rest of The Glorious Burden were pretty spotty.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 6:48 am

Actually, I take it back. Gettysburg was very good. A lot of TGB was just 'meh', though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 12:44 pm

I thought that they were both pretty good. The Blind Guardian comparisons are spot on though (but I like them too)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?   in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

in retrospect, what did u fink of 'ripper era' iced earth?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next