Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING

Go down 
+17
scottmitchell74
Hamer12
A Handful of Wayne
Metal Misfit
ghostintheruins
powermacho
Invader
ultmetal
Kong
Tall Tyrion
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
kmorg
Olafsto
Thrasher73
Smindas
Fat Freddy
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 3:14 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Has anyone seen Jon Olivia lately? I didn't know he was such a big boy. I'm not real familiar with him or this band, so I went searching on YouTube. I know it's all really about the music, but I was shocked to see this huge guy singing these songs. The visuals don't match the vocals.

Yea, he looks pretty bad nowadays. There's a video clip up on Blabbermouth today that accompanied the article I pinched the album cover pic from, and I was shocked at how unhealthy he looks.
The last time I saw Savatage was in 1996 and he was pretty big even then. I remember saying to my girlfriend "Damn, he looks like Meat Loaf" at that show, but now he looks like he ATE Meat Loaf!

That boy needs some help!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 3:42 pm

Yeah, Jon Oliva is huge. I was shocked at just how big he is in real life when I got to meet him last year. He also drinks like a beast - when the band did their set, he drank spirits like they were water. I guess it probably takes a lot to get him at all drunk.

A friend and I have a little private joke that whenever we pig out, we call it 'Jon Oliva time'.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 3:53 pm

Smindas wrote:
Yeah, Jon Oliva is huge. I was shocked at just how big he is in real life when I got to meet him last year.

A friend of mine is a reporter, and when Savatage released POETS & MADMEN back in '01 he was invited to an album release party for it at some nightclub in NYC. He sez he chatted for quite a while with "some fat guy" who started up a conversation with him while everyone was standing around having cocktails, and then the Savatage guys took the stage to play a few songs and take questions from the audience... and he damn near fainted when he realized the "fat guy" was Jon Oliva!! He'd never introduced himself to my friend, and since he hadn't seen a picture of Jon in a couple of years, my buddy didn't recognize him at all.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 4:38 pm

I guess that proves further what a cool guy Jon is. Great story.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 7:18 pm

I'm looking forward to a new JOP album. Jon has not disappointed yet. 🤘

What they call it is a whole 'nother subject. I've got a lot of thoughts on the subject, but I'm just not in the mood to get into it.
Back to top Go down
Kong
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 6:57 pm

Good day to all,

JOP's drummer here... checking in and to say thank you for the kind
support of all things Oliva and this band.

For those interested, you will be happy to note that Criss Oliva will
be credited with co-writing (6) songs on the new JOP CD titled
"Global Warning". Honestly, if we had more time we would have used
more of Criss' riffs on the record. But that is a good thing because
it leaves us with a ton more tasty tid-bits to work into the next record.

Our lifestyles and JOP's approach to living/touring have changed dramatically
in the past few months. Greg "Super G" Marchak was our studio engineer/producer and always ran FOH sound for us on tour. He passed away in early September at the young age of 46...just 2 weeks before we were scheduled to begin recording GW. He was the true 6th member of this band, our best friend and a crushing loss to JOP. In light of this tragedy, we feel we have created the best JOP record to date, and always with Greg by our side and our ears....We miss you Greg!

While your caring comments for Oliva are certainly appreciated, try not to judge a book by it's cover. No one has any idea what has happened to another person's life unless you have walked in their shoes. But JOP is as much a family if ever a band was. We will continue to look out for each other....All we want to do is write and perform the best music we can, and to do it for many years to come.

Thanks again for the support! We look forward to your reviews regarding the new CD and the upcoming Euro tour. We are very close to announcing JOP's plans for a number of US dates in 2008!

Cheers and Beers!

🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 6:59 pm

Welcome Kong. Thanks for the insight.

ult

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 7:00 pm

Thanks for the info, KONG. Welcome to the board. I know there are several of us that are looking forward to this new album!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 8:51 pm

Greetings KONG! Thanks for the scoop on the CD... hope you'll come back with some more updates!

Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 9:23 pm

Too cool.... Welcome Kong. Visit again, we'd love to hear from you.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 10:32 pm

Welcome Kong, appreciate the insight. Tell Jon that we really appreciate his contributions to the metal world and most of us are waiting for the new album with bated breath.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 8:21 am

Quote :
For those interested, you will be happy to note that Criss Oliva will
be credited with co-writing (6) songs on the new JOP CD titled
"Global Warning".

THAT'S AWESOME. I didn't expect that many. Matt can play too. As can the whole band of course.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:58 am

Thanks for stopping by, Kong. Hope to see you here again! And I hope you visit Norway again on the next tour too. It was a balst seeing you the last time. Too bad they used the smaller venue.

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 3:59 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Has anyone seen Jon Olivia lately? I didn't know he was such a big boy. I'm not real familiar with him or this band, so I went searching on YouTube. I know it's all really about the music, but I was shocked to see this huge guy singing these songs. The visuals don't match the vocals.

Saw him at PPUK 2 last year

He is a big guy, and he had a bad leg too, so was sitting down at the keyboards for most of the show...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 4:03 pm

Welcome, Sherry.
Back to top Go down
Kong
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome party...
I stumbled upon this site doing some JOP research
and the band very much appreciates the interest in
our labor of love that we call JOP...and now onto Global Warning!

Just to clarify...Oliva has 2 big legs, and he sat as his piano
all night at Prog-Power USA because it was a (1) man acoustic show
with some backing instruments and vocal tracks. What's the point
of playing piano and singing standing upright? Even I am
to lazy for that and looks very STYX-ish.....yuk! That show
was the first ever solo show for Oliva and he was nervous as
hell. But it was magical from start to finish for the 200 people
that were able to get tickets for this once in a lifetime intimate
show.

Our label, AFM, has commented on the delivery of the final masters.
To qoute: " Thank you for delivering yet another masterpiece from JOP"!

So with that, we expect great support from AFM and Locomotive Records
to get this CD available to all. Our #1 goal is to be able to perform these songs
and an extensive set of Savatage classics throughout the US in 2008. I think we are in the position to finally do just that. Time will tell...

Cheers to all and THANKS again!

Kong...\m/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 10:58 pm

Don't be a stranger Kong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:06 pm

Ha! I didn't even realize that was JOPs drummer. Right on. I still think it's pretty cool that so many members of well-known bands show up here, considering it's not an official forum to any of their bands.

Very cool, nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:23 pm

Kong wrote:
Our #1 goal is to be able to perform these songs
and an extensive set of Savatage classics throughout the US in 2008. I think we are in the position to finally do just that. Time will tell...

That would be SO great. Anywhere in the southwest and I'm there. 🤘
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 8:02 am

Kong wrote:
Thank you all for the wonderful welcome party...
I stumbled upon this site doing some JOP research
and the band very much appreciates the interest in
our labor of love that we call JOP...
Kong...\m/

Now let me help you in your research: Metal Metropolis

Just click J, and band name Razz

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 10:50 am

Haha, welcome Kong. Cheers for the insight, it's appreciated. You guys stole the show at Progpower UK II last year!

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 2:25 am

http://www.myspace.com/jonoliva

Samples! Whoohoo!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 2:28 am

I hate to laugh at what people post at Blabbermouth, but this one nearly made me pee:

Quote :
I don't think his brother died, I think he swallowed him whole and is digesting him over a period of 1,000 years.

Ah, he's such a good dude that I hate to laugh, but that's just too funny. lol!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 5:12 am

Eyesore wrote:
http://www.myspace.com/jonoliva

Samples! Whoohoo!

I hear 5 seconds of one of the songs and can already bud this release THE BEST ONE OF 2008!!!!! Nothing can top this.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 5:35 am

Wow, these samples sound great. I'm looking forward to this album.

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING   Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARNING
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next