Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Global Metal

Go down 
+5
kmorg
sam
Required Fields
powermacho
metalken
9 posters
AuthorMessage
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Has anyone here picked up this documentary yet? I grabbed mine at the local Wal Mart a few days back and have enjoyed each repeated view I have taken in. Sam Dunn has surpassed 'Headbangers Journey' with this second release. The interviews are informative and give a good, but quick view, of what it means to be a fan of metal in less than ideal circumstances; and what that costs some folks.

I am sure that there will be critics of the locales and bands he chose to cover, but I will give him credit for doing it. And doing it well. I know that this dvd will appeal to both those well versed in metal and those just coming upon it.

Check out :http://www.globalmetalfilm.com/03/GM_syn.html for the trailer if you have not had the chance to check it out yet.
Back to top Go down

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 5:22 pm

I downloaded it. Pretty interesting, but not as good as his first movie.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 5:44 pm

If i find it cheap on walmart i will grave one.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 1:47 am

It looks like a really cool film.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 1:57 am

Will def check this out, I love metal documetntaires.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 1:44 pm

Would love to see it, but I don't think I'll find it on sale here in Norway.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 2:22 pm

I enjoyed the first one. Since I'm of Euro-Asian/Middle Eastern background, it makes it even more interesting for me.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 3:50 pm

Have a copy on the way.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 3:58 pm

I am looking forward to this DVD, but it will have to await til after the holidays, by the way Samm Dunn's next film is a documentary on Rush, that should be very cool.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 4:03 pm

manny wrote:
I am looking forward to this DVD, but it will have to await til after the holidays, by the way Samm Dunn's next film is a documentary on Rush, that should be very cool.

That is very intesting. I know that he has been travelling on Maiden's latest tour and been filming that as well. I actually saw Dunn onstage with Maiden when they did "Heaven Can Wait" when I saw them in June.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 4:12 pm

Sorry I was going by old information, it turns out you are correct, Sam Dunn is working on an Iron Maiden documentary, I could swear I read it was Rush, my apologies but I did find an article about the Maiden project:

TORONTO - Last night at Toronto's sold-out Air Canada Centre, Iron Maiden made sure it 1984 all over again.
And while the youthful, fist-pumping energy was there for most of the two-hour set, the British heavy metal icons were starting to run on fumes as the evening closed with Hallowed Be Thy Name.
Nonetheless, the primarily 50-ish sextet led by the hyperactive and dynamic singer Bruce Dickinson kept the loud and loyal followers standing from the intro of Winston Churchill's famous 1940 "never surrender" speech and into Aces High from 1984's Powerslave album.
And when Dickinson utters the lyric "live to fly, fly to live" from the opening number, he's definitely doing just that. A licensed pilot, Dickinson is one of rock's few performers pulling double duty, flying the band's jet from city to city throughout this current world trek dubbed the Somewhere Back In Time tour.
Looking like a desperate court jester trying to placate the roughly 15,000 metal kings and queens before him, Dickinson spent most of the night running, leaping and jumping around the multi-level Egyptian Sphinx-inspired stage, encouraging the crowd to scream during the rapid-fire 2 Minutes To Midnight and slower but meatier Revelations.
After announcing that a documentary on the group was being filmed by Canadian Sam Dunn (director of Metal: A Headbanger's Journey), Dickinson kept the energy high while the trio of guitarists Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Janick Gers stood side by side at the front, weaving their own metal magic during The Trooper while Dickinson waved a large Union Jack.
Global Metal Invisible

fctAdTag("bigbox",MyGenericTagVar,1);

The middle portion of the set featured the first true highlight in The Number Of The Beast with Dickinson reaching down for one of his signature banshee-like wails. However, even that nugget paled compared to the 15-minute Rime Of The Ancient Mariner with its various twists and turns as dry ice slowly filled the stage.
For all of the devotion fans have, one can't help but see a few Spinal Tap qualities in Iron Maiden, especially in Gers (one of two members sporting Iron Maiden t-shirts). While quite adept at playing, his theatrics are rather amusing, including his inane guitar twirls, using his guitar cord like a whip and doing a Riverdance-like jig centre stage during Wasted Years. The dance, which also featured some high-stepping by Dave Murray as well, almost begged for a miniature Stonehenge replica to descend from the rafters.
But as a unit the band can still deliver the goods, especially on the galloping Powerslave and the rather frantic Heaven Can Wait. And with a drummer named Nicko McBrain, almost comically completely hidden under a sea of tom-toms and cymbals, how can they possibly fail?
Although looking like he was pissed off at a technical glitch following the well-received Run To The Hills, Dickinson and crew forged ahead with the creepy Fear Of The Dark, the freshest song from the show, albeit from the 1992 album of the same name.
Following the punk-meets-metal feel of Iron Maiden, which included a gigantic robot known to fans as Cyborg Eddie (Eddie being the band's mascot) appearing onstage, Iron Maiden began showing signs of wear in the encore during Moonchild and The Clairvoyant. Fortunately they seemed to know when to say when, leaving the fans wanting more.
Fans may not have to wait much longer though as the group announced a Western Canada trek in June and Dickinson telling the appreciative crowd they would see them again this summer, resulting in a strong possibility of more Ontario dates.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 5:33 pm

Just got this and thought it was good. To me this movie started off slow and got more interesting when Sam went into the middle-eastern countries.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 11:18 pm

nevermore wrote:
Just got this and thought it was good. To me this movie started off slow and got more interesting when Sam went into the middle-eastern countries.

There is a ton of great underground bands from the Middle East. It's probably the least explored territory as far as bands go. It's good to see bands like Melechesh, Orphaned Land, and Salem make an impact for the world to take notice.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 11:25 pm

Sounds interesting. Can anybody give me some names of other metal documentary books/films to check out, the only other one I know of like this is the thrash documentary put out just a bit ago...cant remember the name of it right now.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 8:59 pm

finally got to watch this, sam did a great job, can't wait for whatever he does next.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Sponsored content

Global Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global Metal   Global Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Global Metal
Page 1 of 1