Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)

Go down 
+16
metalmaniac122
Fat Freddy
ghost
nevermore
7thSecond
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
DeathCult
ultmetal
T-Roy
Hamer12
MetalRob331
Mglaffas81
mc666
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 3:34 pm

Eyesore wrote:
troublezone wrote:
NIV is hardcore but very metallic hardcore thats why i included them on this thread.
I don't hear anything metal in their music. It's all hardcore to these ears.

That's strange. I definately hear a metal groove in a lot of their stuff and the quick alternate picking is like a basic thrashcore style. Bruce from Living Sacrifice did backup vocals on their third record and they toured with LS, Agnostic Front and Hatebreed. So to me they are somewhat influenced by some metal more in a Cro-Mags kind of way.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 3:46 pm

These riffs are too heavy to be just plain Hardcore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV3T9vXi5Oc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76IpfTOOvU0&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 4:02 pm

I found this bad azz clip of LS from their one true metalcore record. Drummers will like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbuQeKahBaw&feature=related
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 4:58 pm

troublezone wrote:
These riffs are too heavy to be just plain Hardcore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV3T9vXi5Oc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76IpfTOOvU0&feature=related
Too heavy? I still don't hear it. Haha. I don't think heaviness makes a band metal. Hardcore has more in common with punk than metal, and I think NIV are pure hardcore; even on their heavier albums like Flesh And Blood and Tipping The Scales.

That's Strife (awesome band). Far more metallic than NIV, but also still not metal. Even a band like Stampin Ground, who clearly have some metal influence, is hardcore to me. There have always been hardcore bands that mixed in some metal, but not many of them did it enough for it to warrant any sort of label description. Overkill has a lot of punk influence, but go and try and call them a punk band, or a punk metal band. Metalheads will scoff at that notion all day.

Listen to this band:

http://www.myspace.com/swedishhc

Purusam, an old Swedish hardcore band. They had tons of metal influence, riffs, leads, drum work, but it never sounded metal. It still sounded like hardcore, and it was, I think. But maybe that's because at the time metalcore wasn't made up yet. Today they would most definitely be labeled a metalcore band. And I'd probably agree. Haha. They're awesome, though. One of my favorite hardcore bands.

I hate discussing genres. lol!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 5:06 pm

Notice i agreed that they were a "hardcore" band but with metallic guitar tones. I know they are hardcore i'm not saying they are "metal" but they are actually heavier than some so called metal bands. I guess everyone's got an opinion so hey.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 5:19 pm

Quote :
We need more elitists in metal

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 5:26 pm

troublezone wrote:
I guess everyone's got an opinion so hey.
No need for sarcasm.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 5:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:
troublezone wrote:
I guess everyone's got an opinion so hey.
No need for sarcasm.

silent
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 2:06 am

Here's another band I dig called DAYSEND. Nothing amazing overall, but their bassist is cute and I think the song in the video above is killer. They are a solid band, though.
Back to top Go down
metalmaniac122
Metal student
Metal student
metalmaniac122

Number of posts : 137

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 4:16 pm

I dont like metalcore much but this song is awesome

Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 4:21 pm

I used to be hugely into a few metal core bands... But now, I just can't take it. I'm way to busy with Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Dokken, Whitesnake, etc...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 4:22 pm

MetalH wrote:
I used to be hugely into a few metal core bands... But now, I just can't take it. I'm way to busy with Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Dokken, Whitesnake, etc...

Congratulations. Now teach others your age of the evils of metalcore. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 4:27 pm

Trust me, I've tried. I have this friend that listens to metalcore and 90's alternative. I've shown him countless classics and he still goes back to that other drivel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 4:39 pm

MetalH wrote:
Trust me, I've tried. I have this friend that listens to metalcore and 90's alternative. I've shown him countless classics and he still goes back to that other drivel.
Nonsense. If he likes metalcore and 90s alternative, then it's hardly drivel.

Enjoy what you enjoy! Simple as that. It's all about good music. F*ck a genre right in the anus.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 4:41 pm

Yeah sorry... I usually try to be open about other peoples tastes... But with some of the stuff he plays I just want to kill myself after listening. I agree for the most part with this:

Quote :
Enjoy what you enjoy! Simple as that. It's all about good music. F*ck a genre right in the anus.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 6:30 pm

I'll listen to metalcore. I think the problem with labeling a band a certain genre is that if a person hates one band in that genre, they think the whole thing is trash.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 7:19 pm

Only metalcore album I own:

(song from the album, obviously)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PklkFz5UOw

Don't know why, but it's the only album that turned my crank upon repeated listens.

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 10:16 pm

I like it with a good mix of death like Becoming the Archetype or As I Lay Dying. Some KSE is good and some Demon Hunter too. Other then that I don't have a lot. Wait, Soul Embraced and a new band called The Famine who has members of Embodyment.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 10:32 pm

I suppose I enjoyed some of it before I realized what the name meant. I was out of touch with mainstream radio metal SO long that when I found and tried Becoming The Archetype and Demon Hunter I didn't know they were called Metal Core. Never heard the expression.

I enjoy them and As I Lay Dying quite a bit.

What is In Flames - Clayman? I like that as well.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 10:36 pm

In Flames are considered Gothenburg. Although they bring in more mainstream influences on their recent albums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 11:22 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
What is In Flames - Clayman? I like that as well.
Clayman is still melodic death metal. I still classify the band as melodic death metal, but they have brought in some more modern touches since Clayman. However, I don't think there enough modern touches to classify them as anything but melodic death metal. Clearly not the black and white definition of the term, but enough so that it still applies.

Many would disagree with me, though, and call them nu-metal. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 12:15 am

I think your right, melo-death with some modern touches. Nowhere near a nu-metal like a Slipknot or Disturbed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 3:55 am

DeathCult wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Atreyu is a joke. No integrity. Their latest album is a clear attempt at trying to go metal. It's a joke.

I never considered them metal-core either, it's just pumped up wuss rock.

I agree, but you have to admit that "Becoming the bull" is a good song.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 1:21 pm

I think that these guys do good metalcore. War of Ages
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3