Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)

Go down 
+16
metalmaniac122
Fat Freddy
ghost
nevermore
7thSecond
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
DeathCult
ultmetal
T-Roy
Hamer12
MetalRob331
Mglaffas81
mc666
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Empty
PostSubject: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:32 am

I think metalcore gets a bad rap. Sure, there's a lot of crap coming from the genre, but what genre doesn't have a lot of crap bands? Either way, I think a lot of people just blow off the whole genre because of bands like Atreyu. But there are good bands out there playing this so-called "metalcore." I figured I'd post a few of the lesser-known bands. New album coming out soon, too!

CATARACT

Some of the best metalcore bands come from overseas. Like a lot of things, the US versions are geared toward the mainstream, thus watered down. Cataract is what I'd consider a real metalcore band. There is a clear cut thrash sound, but there is also some of that hardcore brutality. Not thuggish "core" nonsense, like Hatebreed, but true old school hardcore. There is no brutal verse, happy sing-along chorus nonsense. This is just heavy from beginning to end. A killer, killer band.

"Denial Of Life" (from Kingdom)

"Nothing's Left" (from With Triumph Comes Loss)

MAROON

Another great band is Maroon. They play a style that fairly synonymous with what most view as metalcore, but—I think—they do it with much more skill than most. Unlike a lot of metalcore bands, it doesn't seem like Maroon is playing their metal riffs and leads right out of Metal Riffs and Leads for Dummies. Just killer extreme metal, with a little hardcore mixed in.

"(Reach) The Sun" (from The Cold Heart of the Sun)

SILENT CIVILIAN

I wrote this band off the second I read their bio. Basically the nu-metal train was screeching to a halt, making way for metalcore, so Spineshank disbanded. I actually like Spineshank; I thought they were one of the better, more interesting nu-metal bands. Not surprising, though, when Jonny Santos (singer/songwriter of Spineshank) starts Silent Civilian, a metalcore band. Clearly someone following a trend. So I wrote them off.

Last year I found their album Rebirth of the Temple at Nuggets for $2. I picked it up, thinking I'd trade it on lala or something. But I figured I'd give it a spin first. Holy crap! I thought. Haha. The album is killer! Sure, it is metalcore, by the books. But man is it awesome! Not every band can be original, but within the confines of the genre, Rebirth of the Temple is really one of the best I've heard. I listen to it all the time.

"Rebirth Of The Temple" (from Rebirth of the Temple)

"The Song Remains Unnamed" (from Rebirth of the Temple)

THE ARCANE ORDER

Been a fan of this band since their first demo (under the name Scavenger). Flemming C. Lund from Invocator is the man behind this band. They changed their name before their first full-length, and they just released their second full-length. Flemming sent me the Scavenger demo for review, but he couldn't send me The Machinery of Oblivion, the first Arcane Order album. It took me a long time to find a copy, so I only got it last year. And now their latest album is looking to be hard to come by outside of expensive imports.

Either way, killer band. Heavy, groove, not a whole lot of hardcore, but it does get labeled as metalcore. Worth checking out!

Infinite Ghost Anathema (MP3 from The Machinery of Oblivion)
Breathe The Poison (MP3 from the Scavenger demo)

I'll post more...maybe. Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of the style, but every now and again I'll find a band I'll like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:32 am

One more...

PRO-PAIN

A true metalcore band. The perfect mix of hardcore and thrash/heavy metal. I know a lot of you know of the band, but I'll use this thread as an excuse to promote them some more. And just so you know, their videos are what you'd call "low budget." Haha.

"Make War (Not Love)" (from The Truth Hurts)

"Can You Feel It?" (from Fistful of Hate)

"Un-American" (from Prophets of Doom)

"Down For The Cause" (from Shreds of Dignity)

"State Of Mind" (from Contents Under Pressure)

"In For The Kill" (from Act of God)
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:37 am

i love Pro-pain & Silent Civilian. the others i'll have to check out. of course, i've never been anti-metalcore.

Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 4:42 am

I watched all the video's, and my opinion on Metal Core did not change all that much. While a lot of the video's start out quite good, with some nice leads, it's when the vocals kick in, that everything get's ruined. Silent Civilian's "Rebirth of the Temple" started out decent, but man does the singer suck...and when he does use clean vocals, it's those same, dry, mainstream singing we hear everywhere. Most of these bands just sound like recycled Lamb of God clones... the drumming also has not changed - While there is some sick double-bass assault on some tracks, it's still the same problem - It get's over-used, and there lacks variety...just those same, Death Metal blast beats. ...meh, I am bummed.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 10:09 am

Caliban's - The Undying Darkness is one of a few metalcore cd's i love

Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 pm

I've got a couple of Cataract cd's & like them both.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:29 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
I watched all the video's, and my opinion on Metal Core did not change all that much. While a lot of the video's start out quite good, with some nice leads, it's when the vocals kick in, that everything get's ruined. Silent Civilian's "Rebirth of the Temple" started out decent, but man does the singer suck...and when he does use clean vocals, it's those same, dry, mainstream singing we hear everywhere. Most of these bands just sound like recycled Lamb of God clones... the drumming also has not changed - While there is some sick double-bass assault on some tracks, it's still the same problem - It get's over-used, and there lacks variety...just those same, Death Metal blast beats. ...meh, I am bummed.
Lamb Of God clones? Jesus. You must think Sevendust sounds like Korn, too, huh?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:30 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Caliban's - The Undying Darkness is one of a few metalcore cd's i love
Caliban is good, but the singer's screams are so strained sometimes that it annoys me. I have four or five of their albums, and I enjoy them, but I wouldn't consider them on of the best. Maybe if they got a new singer.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:33 pm

the singing is horrible i just think there sound is awesome and the songwriting on that cd is awesome (even though i cant understand it)
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:44 pm

Eyesore, I'm with you. I think metalcore has some sick heavy metal to offer. I personally dig allot of it. The blast beats, technical thrash guitar, death tuned guitars sometimes, deathy vocals, relentless breakdowns....that's what I love about it. August Burns Red, The Devil Wears Prada are killer. Between the Burried And Me are awesome too. Haste The Day, As I Lay Dying. Yes, there's allot of it I think sucks...but what genre isn't 70% average and 30% above? none.

Funny thing is, I've tried a bunch of plain 'ol hardcore bands.....didn't care for it at all, but put the thrash metal...with the core.....oh YEAH! 🤘 🤘 🤘
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:54 pm

There are a few others i dig like God Forbid, Diecast, The Agony Scene, and Demon Hunter

God Forbid (IV:Constitution Of Treason)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 2:15 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
the singing is horrible i just think there sound is awesome and the songwriting on that cd is awesome (even though i cant understand it)
I should clarify. Some of the screaming is bad.

The beginning is a perfect example. That guy shouldn't be screaming. He hasn't got the balls for it. His singing voice is fine, but like Matt Heafy in Trivium, his screaming voice often sounds like his throat is dry and he's screaming through a bout of pneumonia. Musically they're great, but the vocals keep them from being a favorite of the genre. Here's another I like:

ALL THAT REMAINS

Not always great, but when they're on, they're pretty awesome. Their older albums are hit or miss, but their latest, The Fall Of Ideals, is killer (except when the singer breaks out the death metal vocals, they don't fit).

"This Calling" (from The Fall of Ideals)

"Not Alone" (from The Fall of Ideals)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 2:17 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
There are a few others i dig like God Forbid, Diecast, The Agony Scene, and Demon Hunter
I like God Forbid, but I think they're far from one of the best. Diecast is actually fronted by Paul Stoddard, the brother of one of my best friends growing up. Pretty crazy. Haha. Another friend just joined Nightrage as their lead singer, and here I am basically retiring from music. Haha.

I'm so sad inside. Sad
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 2:39 pm

I haven't found much metalcore I care for. All these bands seem to
share the same vocalist with little distinction between them. Usually
lacking in good guitar solos. Guitar work is usually pretty boring, but
sounds heavy due to downtuning. However, I don't dislike all of it.

I'd recommend FASEDOWN:
http://www.myspace.com/fasedown

Their guitar player use to play in Deliverance and is a total shredder. I like their second CD better than their first.

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 2:55 pm

I know it's pretty cliche at this point, but KILLSWITCH ENGAGE's album 'Alive Or Just Breathing' is brilliant.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Me personally dislike All That Remains the most out of them all, i find them very talented but all there songs seem to sound identical to me once i start listening. I think if they used less of the screaming like Atreyu has on there newest release they would be a killer band.

As for Atreyu i love there new cd and it just blows everything away that they have previously done. I know they get bashed for selling out but listen to the difference here. They seem to be goin in the right direction..

Old...

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 6:15 pm

New...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 8:35 pm

Atreyu is a joke. No integrity. Their latest album is a clear attempt at trying to go metal. It's a joke.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 8:40 pm

So Eyesore, what are these bands considered? I love them all. The whole hardcore or metalcore thing kind of confuses me. I consider all these bands listed below as hardcore. Except maybe Hatebreed, but their first album I consider hardcore.

Earth Crisis

Freya

Terror

All Out War

Integrity

Ringworm

All Out War

Hatebreed

Strife

100 Demons
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 9:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Atreyu is a joke. No integrity. Their latest album is a clear attempt at trying to go metal. It's a joke.

I never considered them metal-core either, it's just pumped up wuss rock.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 11:25 pm

i like the 80's influences on there new cd, i guess what i like most about it is thats its different and all the songs dont sound similar like on there other releases. It looks like they just went in to the studio and had a blast and what came out came out.

A lot of those bands u mentioned Death are more along the Hardcore lines but who cares its all some type of core right?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 1:55 am

The only metalcore song I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxaug-Rwmqw
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 2:12 am

spectrefate wrote:
So Eyesore, what are these bands considered? I love them all. The whole hardcore or metalcore thing kind of confuses me. I consider all these bands listed below as hardcore. Except maybe Hatebreed, but their first album I consider hardcore.

Earth Crisis

Freya

Terror

All Out War

Integrity

Ringworm

All Out War

Hatebreed

Strife

100 Demons
All are hardcore. Though many lump 100 Demons and Terror and Hatebreed into the metalcore genre. They're not. Good to see you like some great hardcore!
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 2:13 am

Eyesore wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
Lamb Of God clones? Jesus. You must think Sevendust sounds like Korn, too, huh?

Listen. The drumming and guitar work all follow the same path - At least, and I feel really bad saying this, but at least Lamb of God had some pretty neat guitar work going on at times. The drumming is the same as always. As I said, some of the double-bass is pretty sick, but it get's really boring, and lacks variety - The biggest disappointment are the vocalists - Some of the songs start out great, but when the vocalist starts screaming, everything goes down the drain. Yes, Pantera do it, but Phil Anselmo does it right - He doesn't sound dry, you understand what he is saying, and it actually sounds really cool. When these guys start screaming, they all sound like their balls haven't dropped yet, or a 2nd grader with a spider on his head - And as Scott said, there is lack of good guitar solo's - The ones precent are oh so boring. They really need guiarists that can shred, too.

Last edited by on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
The only metalcore song I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxaug-Rwmqw
That's random. Haha. It happens, though. I like a frickin' Savage Garden song. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)   Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good Metalcore (Not An Oxymoron)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next