Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metalcore does it again

Go down 
+12
Required Fields
Troublezone
the sentinel
scottmitchell74
GrandNational
Fat Freddy
KissinMaiden
MetalGuy71
7thSecond
mc666
ultmetal
TheGooch
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Metalcore does it again Empty
PostSubject: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:02 pm

the new album by abominable metalcore bores As i lay dying has become the number one rock album in the US selling nearly forty thousand copies in the first week of release according to metal-rules.com

Last edited by on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:05 pm

Congrats to As I Lay Dying. I myself am not a fan.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:10 pm

good for them

7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:14 pm

I'm not suprised. This album is really really good. I'm not much of a metalcore fan but I am totally getting in to this album. Oh yeah I'm far from a typical Hot Topic crowd kid by the way, though I've picked up some cool t's from there. Maiden, Ozzy, Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Metallica and a few punk bands I like. I'd of died for a place like Hot Topic when I was 18 Gooch so you probably shouldn't knock them. Besides do you all even have any Hot Topics in England or are you just ragging on them because it sometimes seems trendy to do so with some of us older guys?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:17 pm

who?
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:19 pm

well we dont have hot topic so i can only go on what it is like from what people tell me about it. and they tell me it is kinda crappy by the sound of it. i just spose i hate metalcore a lot and i am just worried that people will think that as i lay dying is a fair representation of what heavy metal actually because they are not really so called true metal but of course one must take into account different styles i suppose
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:22 pm

Eh, it doesn't bother me one way or another. I don't care for metal-core, but what the heck, at least it's heavy and it's making a dent in the industry. Better them than Justin Timberlake.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:45 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Better them than Justin Timberlake.
Can I get an amen here? 🤘
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:54 pm

I don't like it. When I tell people I listen to metal, most assume I listen to metalcore because, since MTV and FUSE says it's metal than it must be metal.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 1:26 pm

KissinMaiden wrote:
I don't like it. When I tell people I listen to metal, most assume I listen to metalcore because, since MTV and FUSE says it's metal than it must be metal.
Ahh... one of the few advantages of being older. When I tell people I like Metal they assume I'm talking Maiden, Crue, Metallica etc. type stuff. Metalcore does it again 604261
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 1:27 pm

7thSecond wrote:
KissinMaiden wrote:
Ahh... one of the few advantages of being older. When I tell people I like Metal they assume I'm talking Maiden, Crue, Metallica etc. type stuff. Metalcore does it again 604261

Yep, me too. Although sometimes I have to add a qualifier like "I like OLD SCHOOL metal"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 1:52 pm

The purpose of this thread has failed.

Good for As I Lay Dying. It's a damn good metalcore album.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 2:23 pm

We should be happy that any band on a label like Metal Blade can still sell 40,000 albums in its first week out, be it metalcore or straight up metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 3:04 pm

Metalcore is a door to a different world for a lot of people, especially now that metalcore is shifting more toward the metal side of things than hardcore. I mean, how much hardcore is there really in an album like the latest As I Lay Dying? Hardly any.

What album got you into what you're into today? It could have been Aldo Nova or something for you! Today it's metalcore bands. Not a big deal. Plus, there's a lot of killer metalcore bands out there.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 3:11 pm

Quote :
Metalcore is a door to a different world for a
lot of people, especially now that metalcore is shifting more toward
the metal side of things than hardcore. I mean, how much hardcore is
there really in an album like the latest As I Lay Dying? Hardly any.

What
album got you into what you're into today? It could have been Aldo Nova
or something for you! Today it's metalcore bands. Not a big deal. Plus,
there's a lot of killer metalcore bands out there.

This is a good philosophy to have.....it's still metal of some sort....if the listener doesn't have just a superficial interest in it the portal has been opened and they may very well find some other stuff they like..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 3:23 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
This is a good philosophy to have.....it's still metal of some sort....if the listener doesn't have just a superficial interest in it the portal has been opened and they may very well find some other stuff they like..
In boxing there are fighters that are referred to as "gateway fighters." These are b-level fighters that can't beat the elite fighters, but pose difficult challenges for prospects and up-and-coming fighters looking to join the elite. It's not the same kind of comparison, but many of these metalcore bands are "gateway bands," someone who is interested in going beyond these bands can find themselves in a place among the elite, so to speak.

Even the bands themselves can do this. Take Trivium for example. Once one of those screamo bands, but now much closer to the genres heavy-hitters like Testament and early Metallica, much closer than many would care to believe. What happened? They simply evolved a bit, matured and grew in their style, namely the switch from screaming to aggressively singing. A small change makes a big change. Listeners can evolve and mature as well, making a small change in thier listening habits can make a big difference.

Fairweather fans will always be fairweather fans, of course.

Last edited by on Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 4:11 pm

Eyesore wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:
In boxing there are fighters that are referred to as "gateway fighters." These are b-level fighters that can't beat the elite fighters, but pose difficult challenges for prospects and up-and-coming fighters looking to join the elite. It's not the same kind of comparison, but many of these metalcore bands are "gateway bands," someone who is interested in going beyond these bands can find themselves in a place among the elite, so to speak.

Even the bands themselves can do this. Take Trivium for example. Once one of those screamo bands, but not much closer to the genres heavy-hitters like Testament and early Metallica, much closer than many would care to believe. What happened? They simply evolved a bit, matured and grew in their style, namely the switch from screaming to aggressively singing. A small change makes a big change. Listeners can evolve and mature as well, making a small change in thier listening habits can make a big difference.

Yup, I agree. It's good to have "gateway bands" for young kids to open them up to the real deal, because they may never get to know all the classic metal bands without having to go through the modern day junk. It's almost like a necessary evil of sorts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 4:14 pm

Once one of those screamo bands, but NOW much closer to the genres heavy-hitters like Testament and early Metallica, much closer than many would care to believe.

By the way, I meant to say "now" there, not "not." Sort of changes the whole point of what I was trying to say. Haha.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 5:02 pm

7thSecond wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Better them than Justin Timberlake.
Can I get an amen here? 🤘

AMEN!!!!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 5:04 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
7thSecond wrote:
KissinMaiden wrote:

Yep, me too. Although sometimes I have to add a qualifier like "I like OLD SCHOOL metal"

I also add that they have never heard anyone I listen to!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 5:05 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
7thSecond wrote:
KissinMaiden wrote:

I also add that they have never heard anyone I listen to!! 🤘

Haha, me too! I often tell people "I listen to bands that everyone forgot about 20 years ago, or never heard of in the first place." 🤘
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 8:49 pm

Well i guess all that Ozzfest touring finally paid off for them. And it doesn't hurt that their albums are available at places like Target.
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 9:05 pm

My "gateway bands" were slayer, korn and system of a down. I used to like the stuff they played on mtv and musically i never had anyone guide me since I've never had "metal" friends so I usually stuck to my music. I stopped listening to "nu-metal" after listening to bands like megadeth and maiden...those are the real gateway bands Smile.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 9:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eh, it doesn't bother me one way or another. I don't care for metal-core, but what the heck, at least it's heavy and it's making a dent in the industry. Better them than Justin Timberlake.

Quoted for truth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 6:24 am

GrandNational wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:

Even the bands themselves can do this. Take Trivium for example. Once one of those screamo bands, but not much closer to the genres heavy-hitters like Testament and early Metallica, much closer than many would care to believe. What happened? They simply evolved a bit, matured and grew in their style, namely the switch from screaming to aggressively singing. A small change makes a big change. Listeners can evolve and mature as well, making a small change in thier listening habits can make a big difference.

Yup, I agree. It's good to have "gateway bands" for young kids to open them up to the real deal, because they may never get to know all the classic metal bands without having to go through the modern day junk. It's almost like a necessary evil of sorts.

Well hell, I was a huge Linkin Park/Limp Bizkit/Kid Rock fan before I discovered Metallica, now I really don't like any of those bands at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metalcore does it again   Metalcore does it again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metalcore does it again
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next