Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash

Go down 
+7
Stender
XYZ
AchrisK
mc666
Lurideath
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
11 posters
AuthorMessage

Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Empty
PostSubject: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 12:58 pm

A well known musician made this comment and I was very suprised by it. How would you respond to it?

"Ok heres what I dont get, what is MetalCore? Is it a mixture of Metal and Harcore? If so then that is cool cause thats what Slayer, Anthrax and Exodus are and that would make MetalCore actually just a new name for Thrash. I thought kids just made that metalCore thing up cause they didnt know what Thrash was but maybe im wrong."
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 1:00 pm

steelers wrote:
I thought kids just made that metalCore thing up cause they didnt know what Thrash was but maybe im wrong."

Yup. He's wrong. Smile

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 1:15 pm

Metalcore generally always has the same 'screaming' or 'core' vocals. Most of the vocalists sound the same to me. Thrash vocalist are far more varied from extreme to the melodic. Megadeth doesn't sound like Slayer doesn't sound like Anthrax doesn't sound like Vengeance Rising doesn't sound like Testament, etc. etc. etc.

Metalcore generally replaces solo sections with "breakdowns", which I tend to find rather boring. Guitar solos aren't a big part of metalcore, if at all. At most they are an afterthought. In thrash, well executed guitar solos are an integral part of the songwriting process.

Metalcore incorporates an entirely different style of guitar playing and generally involves a lot of strummed chords as opposed to actual riffs or staccato style picking.

Metalcore bands generally rely on downtuning a full step or more to gain a heavy sound, whereas most thrash bands tune to standard E or Eflat tuning, with occassional Drop D tuning. Generally, the music is heavy due to the "heavy riffs" as opposed to the tuning of the guitars.

There is a vast difference between "thrash" and "metalcore". Even bands that were considered crossover like Nuclear Assault, S.O.D., Cryptic Slaughter, D.R.I., which incorporated far more punk influences than say Slayer or Kreator, don't sound like metalcore.

Thrash and metalcore are not the same.

According to Wickipedia:
Quote :
Metalcore is a fusion genre that incorporates elements of hardcore punk and heavy metal. The term is a portmanteau of heavy metal and hardcore punk. Metalcore is typically melodic, emphasizes breakdowns, and sometimes discards the conceptual trappings of both its parent genres.

Thrash metal is a subgenre of heavy metal music, one of the extreme metal subgenres that is characterised by high speed riffing and aggression. Thrash metal songs typically use fast, percussive and low-register guitar riffs, overlaid with shredding-style lead work.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 1:22 pm

Another definition I found on-line, albeit a vague definition:

Quote :
Metalcore
This genre is currently very popular and combines heavy metal with hardcore. They use the musical style of heavy metal, especially melodic death metal, and the shouting vocal style of hardcore. are also heavily utilized.
Examples: As I Lay Dying, God Forbid, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall

Thrash Metal
This genre evolved from NWOBHM and became heavier and more extreme. It's characterized by fast guitar and double bass drum with aggressive but understandable vocals. Some of the most popular bands in metal started as thrash bands, although most evolved as they went along.
Examples: Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 1:24 pm

It's as clear as night and day.

Some examples of each should suffice.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 1:24 pm

Very well put man! They are not the same, not even close.

Not all thrash bands tune to E, Eb, or drop D though. I know a lot of bands who tune to D standard. Not important, just want to say that.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 1:41 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Very well put man! They are not the same, not even close.

Not all thrash bands tune to E, Eb, or drop D though. I know a lot of bands who tune to D standard. Not important, just want to say that.

Yup, some do, you are correct. I guess I was just referring to the majority, or the more well known bands. Vengeance use to use Drop D tuning on some songs. Ultimatum has been tuning to E flat since our first demo. I think some of the thrash bands that fall closer in line to death metal tend to use D tuning. So there are exceptions to every rule.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 1:57 pm

i can't believe people still get confused by this. the two sound nothing alike. not like power metal & grindcore.

AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 2:20 pm

ultmetal wrote:

According to Wickipedia:
Quote :
Metalcore is a fusion genre that incorporates elements of hardcore punk and heavy metal. The term is a portmanteau of heavy metal and hardcore punk. Metalcore is typically melodic, emphasizes breakdowns, and sometimes discards the conceptual trappings of both its parent genres.

I would argue that Metalcore has no punk left in it. I think that Crossover, and even some thrash, has more real hardcore punk (i.e. Minor Threat, early Crucified) in it than Metalcore does. I think the hardcore genre of the 90's went a long way towards taking out the punk, and metalcore goes just about the rest of the way. Maybe the only thing left from punk in metalcore is the simplicity.

Punk is cool, which is why grindcore is the only core that is worthy. Real punk with real death metal. Same with Crossover: real punk with real metal.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 2:28 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Metalcore generally replaces solo sections with "breakdowns", which I tend to find rather boring. Guitar solos aren't a big part of metalcore, if at all. At most they are an afterthought. In thrash, well executed guitar solos are an integral part of the songwriting process.

I do hate the lack of solos in the metalcore genre. Puts me to sleep. Sleep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 5:04 pm

wikipedia wrote:

I disagree with this. I know they have the melodic choruses but there is nothing melodic about the boring heavily downtuned guitars and awful monotonous shouting that metalcore consists of.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 6:51 pm

I dont even know how we can be comparing thrash with metalcore.
Back to top Go down
GREW50ME
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 7:25 am

I just registered here to say that I agree with Chuck Schuldiner on the topic of sub genres: Subgenres are ox manur and metal is metal. Listen to what you like.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:21 am

GREW50ME wrote:
I just registered here to say that I agree with Chuck Schuldiner on the topic of sub genres: Subgenres are ox manur and metal is metal. Listen to what you like.

Thanks for your opinion.

I agree that people should just listen to what they like and not worry about what's cool and what is not. However, Subgenres are there simply to give people an idea of the sound. Metal is not Metal. TNT doesn't sound like Slayer doesn't sound like Hammerfall doesn't sound like Candlemass doesn't sound like Killswitch Engage. There are vast differences in styles. Metalcore and thrash are two very different styles of music.

So perhaps you could expand upon your post.

Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 4:24 pm

ultmetal wrote:
GREW50ME wrote:

Thanks for your opinion.

I agree that people should just listen to what they like and not worry about what's cool and what is not. However, Subgenres are there simply to give people an idea of the sound. Metal is not Metal. TNT doesn't sound like Slayer doesn't sound like Hammerfall doesn't sound like Candlemass doesn't sound like Killswitch Engage. There are vast differences in styles. Metalcore and thrash are two very different styles of music.

So perhaps you could expand upon your post.

I agree with Ult, you wouldn't believe how hard it is explaining metal to those who never listen and want to know more. The subgenres are incredibly helpful.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 4:37 pm

GREW50ME wrote:

Sounds like good advice. I'm gonna start right now. I'm tired of listening to all this music that other people like besides me. It's time to listen to what I like.

Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash 929854

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 4:39 pm

I got yer definition of metalcore right here:

Thrash with WOOOOARRRRGH vocals. No thanks.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 7:10 pm

metalcore and thrash

one ACTUALLY has influence from real "hardcore" from the 80s and the other just tacks on "core" to their name for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash   Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Definition of Metalcore - Metalcore versus Thrash
Page 1 of 1