Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...

Go down 
+21
Dark Horseman
Wurthless
chewie
Orion Crystal Ice
jettafiend
snooloui
Shawn Of Fire
Metallic Blaze
Dave the Boss
Mordor
tohostudios
exact33
mr.electric39
scottmitchell74
SAHB Healer
DallasBlack
Olafsto
ultmetal
Thrasher73
kmorg
MetalRob331
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 2:54 pm

So here's Frontiers' newest attempt at pushing more T&A into the MHR scene...yeesh. Rolling Eyes 

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Are folks starting to get nostalgic for 80's synths, cheesy keyboards and overproduced muck now? Ick.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 7:54 pm

Wow, no wonder I abandoned this genre a long time ago. Holy crap, that does sound like something from the 80s.

C'mon admit it; even the A7X ripoff album is preferable to this dreck.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Anyone checked out the new Seventh Key album? Called, I Will Survive and of course it feature Billy Greer from Kansas and Mike Slamer.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 10:32 pm

Got the new Place Vendome. Cannot wait to spin it,

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:25 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
Anyone checked out the new Seventh Key album? Called, I Will Survive and of course it feature Billy Greer from Kansas and Mike Slamer.
The new Seventh Key is a strong record for sure! It's their 3rd one and, IMO, it has a LOT more Kansas influence than the first two.

I keep telling people that Greer, Slamer and John Elefante need to write a new Kansas album for the current line up (including Walsh) to record. Elefante's last 2 albums have had some HUGE Kansas influence.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 12:31 pm

I would love that line up and you're right about Elefante's albums having a Kansas influence.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
The new Seventh Key is a strong record for sure! It's their 3rd one and, IMO, it has a LOT more Kansas influence than the first two.

I keep telling people that Greer, Slamer and John Elefante need to write a new Kansas album for the current line up (including Walsh) to record. Elefante's last 2 albums have had some HUGE Kansas influence.

Dark Horseman wrote:
I would love that line up and you're right about Elefante's albums having a Kansas influence.

Didn't Livgren do some writing on the last Elefante/Mastedon album?

That would be nice if Kansas could put out another quality studio album like the underrated Freaks Of Nature.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 9:25 am

chewie wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

Dark Horseman wrote:
Didn't Livgren do some writing on the last Elefante/Mastedon album?

That would be nice if Kansas could put out another quality studio album like the underrated Freaks Of Nature.
I don't recall if Livgren helped write anything on Mastedon III. But he did write the entire last Kansas album 'Somewhere To Elsewhere'.

And yeah, 'Freaks...' is a strong record.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 12:45 pm

I don't see any writing cred for Kerry but he did play on the album.
Not to turn this into a Kansas thread but what do you think of In the Spirit of Things?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Not to turn this into a Kansas thread but what do you think of In the Spirit of Things?
Kerry did play some guitar on the Mastedon 'III' album.

There's not a Kansas album I don't like, honestly...it's just a matter of how much. I like ITSoT, honestly. It's not their best material, but I think it's strong all the same.

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
Kerry did play some guitar on the Mastedon 'III' album.

There's not a Kansas album I don't like, honestly...it's just a matter of how much. I like ITSoT, honestly. It's not their best material, but I think it's strong all the same.
That's what it was! Kerry played some geetar on it.

A lot of outside writers on that album, but there are some really great songs:
Bells Of St. James
House On Fire
Ghosts
One Big Sky
The Preacher
Rainmaker
I Counted On Love

I did like the loose concept behind it as well.

I'm surprised that Mike Slamer wasn't ask to join Kansas since 80s Kansas seemed more like an extension of what Streets was doing.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 1:34 pm

chewie wrote:

I'm surprised that Mike Slamer wasn't ask to join Kansas since 80s Kansas seemed more like an extension of what Streets was doing.
I thought about that later on too...that is surprising. Speaking of Streets, I love those two albums.

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
chewie wrote:

I thought about that later on too...that is surprising. Speaking of Streets, I love those two albums.
Those are some good albums. The live one rocks!!!! They sound so much heavier.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 2:37 pm

If you haven't yet check out Steelhouse Lane which Slamer was in. Like of mix of Streets and those early Giant albums.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 6:41 pm

For my money Slamer will never top his work with City Boy.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 9:30 pm

In case "somebody" is wondering....

The precursor to 867-5309 (Jenny)

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Never heard City Boy, nice stuff.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 3:04 pm

the new Vega is excellent:

chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Never heard  City Boy, nice stuff.
They are pretty cool! I have The Day The Earth Caught Fire and a couple of other albums by them.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 8:05 pm

chewie wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
Never heard  City Boy, nice stuff.
They are pretty cool! I have The Day The Earth Caught Fire and a couple of other albums by them.
You beat me to it.  I think that's their best album.  Title cut:

I always refer to City Boy as a "poor man's Queen". That's not a slam on them at all; if Freddy Mercury had fronted City Boy I bet they'd have been as big as Queen. They just seem to have tried to mine the same musical territory as Queen and to most people probably came off as second-rate. But I think their music has stood the test of time (even if the above video has not Very Happy )

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 9:28 pm

I just posted the first clip that came up on Youtube.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 9:45 pm

James B. wrote:
I just posted the first clip that came up on Youtube.
"5705" was arguably the closest City Boy ever came to having a "hit".

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Slamer with Brock on vocals.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 11:07 am

This isn't a recent melodic hard rock release, but I think it'll fit in here ok. Anyone familiar with former GAP maintenance manager and Journey lead singer Steve Augeri's other band Tall Stories?

I saw the album in the used bin at FYE over the weekend and thought I'd check it out. Not really my thing, but decent enough for what it is I guess. Thought I'd show it some attention here and see if anyone else digs this. Check it out, you might like it.

PostSubject: Re: Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...   Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases... - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recent Melodic Hard Rock releases...
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next