Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Music From The Elder

Go down 
+23
exact33
MetalGuy71
Psychotron
stpatrik
Eyesore
Shawn Of Fire
DallasBlack
chewie
JBall_Z
mlotek
James B.
the sentinel
metalinmyveins
ultmetal
DeathCult
thejokeriv
TrogDawn
Metal Misfit
journeyman
spiritoradio
TheGooch
Fat Freddy
777Stryken777
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Music From The Elder - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 10:34 pm

WOw I like both Unmasked and The Elder...Am I an alien?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 am

I just listened to this the other day.... Put it on while "trying" to organize my vinyl.

always have wondered what happened to the move ? remember reading stories that Chris Makepeace had the lead role and Christopher Plummer was also gonna be in the cast.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 10:00 am

AceFrehley655 wrote:
WOw I like both Unmasked and The Elder...Am I an alien?

No, you're just a glutton for punishment. Laughing

Quote :
always have wondered what happened to the move ? remember reading stories that Chris Makepeace had the lead role and Christopher Plummer was also gonna be in the cast.

I would imagine that the movie would've only been made if the album sold lots-n-lots of copies. Since it sank like a lead balloon, that killed whatever movie deal was in the works.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 11:17 am

Yeha Gene said that they didn't make it because of the poor sale or something like that.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Holy Cow, Someone’s Making an ‘Elder’ Movie!!!   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 5:27 pm

...an Englishman named Seb Hunter, who has already released several very cool looking music-related books of his own, revealed plans to produce a film version of the ‘Elder’ story.

Creating a movie based on this concept album was reportedly Kiss’s intention prior to the release of the record — they envisioned the platter as merely the beginning of a multi-platform media campaign. Obviously, this didn’t work out, and the project lay dormant for three full decades.

Until now, when our new friend the brave film warrior decided to take up this noble cause. You can learn more about Hunter’s vision for the movie and help fund its development by visiting his official site, ElderTheMovie.com. We highly suggest you do so!

more at
http://www.kisselderbook.com/2011/11/19/holy-cow-someones-making-an-elder-movie/

http://www.kisselderbook.com/

Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 5:34 pm

http://www.kisselderbook.com/2011/11/16/kiss-kruise-features-surprise-music-from-the-elder-medley/
brief three-song medley of ‘Music from the Elder’ songs.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 5:39 pm

LOL!!! Gene sings 'I don't need to get wasted" and someone holds up a beer
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 2:55 am

Doesn't Bob Ezrin have mountains of unused music / different takes from those recording sessions?
Not much of it has leaked out onto bootlegs.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 12:15 am

Recently bought a copy of this on vinyl. Two copies actually. The first copy had a very good cover and inner sleeve, but the vinyl was trashed. Thankfully, the seller on Ebay gave me a full refund and let me keep the cover. The second copy included a much better vinyl record, but the cover wasn't quite as nice. I married the two and now have a very good copy.

I've always liked Music From The Elder. It did kinda leave me scratching my head the first time I heard it way back in '81, but I still liked it. The Oath, Only You, Dark Light, Escape From The Island and I are my favorite tracks. Under The Rose is actually a pretty cool track too.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 12:36 pm

mlotek wrote:
...an Englishman named Seb Hunter, who has already released several very cool looking music-related books of his own, revealed plans to produce a film version of the ‘Elder’ story.

Creating a movie based on this concept album was reportedly Kiss’s intention prior to the release of the record — they envisioned the platter as merely the beginning of a multi-platform media campaign. Obviously, this didn’t work out, and the project lay dormant for three full decades.

Until now, when our new friend the brave film warrior decided to take up this noble cause. You can learn more about Hunter’s vision for the movie and help fund its development by visiting his official site, ElderTheMovie.com. We highly suggest you do so!

more at
http://www.kisselderbook.com/2011/11/19/holy-cow-someones-making-an-elder-movie/

http://www.kisselderbook.com/

Sounds Cool!!!! The Elder was the only studio album I ever owned by Kiss for a long time!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 8:11 pm

Good album! The first song doesn't do too much for me, but the rest is good.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 9:15 pm

If you listen to "Mr. Blackwell", it's as if Alice In Chains based their entire sound on this one song...

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
If you listen to "Mr. Blackwell", it's as if Alice In Chains based their entire sound on this one song...

Listen to a King's X record and you'll discover every riff Cantrell ever came up with lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 pm

I've never thought Alice in Chains sounded like King's X.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 6:40 am

"Them Bones" sounds like a dark King's X...

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 11:46 am

Alice In Chains doesn't sound exactly like King's X (they have no soul at all for example), but their approach to rhythm, the drop-D tuning, the preponderance of vocal harmonies all shows they were definitely paying attention to what King's X was doing.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 8:05 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I've never thought Alice in Chains sounded like King's X.

S.D. wrote:
Alice In Chains doesn't sound exactly like King's X (they have no soul at all for example), but their approach to rhythm, the drop-D tuning, the preponderance of vocal harmonies all shows they were definitely paying attention to what King's X was doing.

^

What he said Ken. They don't sound exactly alike, but it's fairly obvious where they were getting their ideas.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 8:11 pm

Also, cool I'd be interested to see the movie. I already read the comic adaptation, which was pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
stpatrik
Metal student
Metal student
stpatrik

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 8:27 am

My favourite track off it is "Under the Rose", thus I dont dig just the rock tracks. BTW, as overall albums I prefer both Unmasked and The Elder over Love Gun and Animalize - those two has way to much poo poo in ém and received critical acclaim which makes it even worse.

TrogDawn wrote:
I love this AWESOME album and it's one of the best KISS ever did, IMO. If they had experimented a bit more with this progressive, conceptual approach, I think they could have made better albums during the 80's than they did (Creatures of the Night and Lick it Up being the exceptions). 🤘

But alas, there was just not enough money in or sales of it for Mr. $immon$, I'm afraid. Sad

Music From The Elder - Page 2 3078

Well you gotta make a living. To be fair, they tried the progressive stance again with Carnival of Souls, and, to an extent on Psycho Circus, one of which bombed, the latter didnt do as well as expected. Peeps who likes KISS progressive side thus seem to be in the minority.
Back to top Go down
Psychotron
Metal student
Metal student
Psychotron

Number of posts : 167

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 7:56 pm

"The Elder" is awesome. I like everything, but "The Odyssey" just never stuck with me. I imagine Paul Stanley sporting his purple headband standing in front of a white piano singing the song. Its very cheesy and not the good kind.
Back to top Go down
http://nicksmetal.blogspot.com
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:59 am

Probably the only movie I will see in a theatre this year (first time since 2004).
http://www.elderthemovie.com
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:43 am

Can he make this movie without KISS's approval?

Quote :
Do Kiss know you are trying to make the Elder movie? What do they think about it? Are they going to get involved?

I emailed Kiss's management, explaining what I was trying to do, but have heard nothing back (yet). I then sent an email to Gene via a mutual third party, but haven't heard back from that either. But hey, Kiss are busy people! They'll find out about this soon enough, I'm sure. And I only hope that once they've finished laughing/crying, they'll feel able to support the project, no matter how unofficially. But I'd love them to get involved, if they want to. The more authorisation we recieve, the more resources we'll get access to and the better film we'll be in a position to be able to make. Come on Gene, you know it makes sense!

The other night on his radio show, Eddie Trunk said this guy contacted him to see if he had any connections with KISS, Gene & Paul specifically. Eddie said he knows Ace (obviously) but couldn't really help him out on the other guys. But he also told the guy flat out that he's gonna get sued. Gene doesn't let anything KISS-related slip by without his approval.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:53 am

There are a lot of documentary dvd's on bands out there, they just can't use the band's music.

Gene likes $, so why wouldn't he endorse it, & get involved to make sure it was accurate ?

EDIT:
My mistake...looked at the screenplay synopsis... I think you are right, there might be a lawsuit if this isn't a huge budget Hollywood movie that Gene is accustomed to.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 10:25 am

mlotek wrote:
There are a lot of documentary dvd's on bands out there, they just can't use the band's music.

Gene likes $.

When I played in a KISS tribute band we had to pay a license fee for the use of the make-up to KISS ltd. An artist can try to get money for you playing thier tunes if you DON'T play at a bar/club/establishment that pays monthly/yearly fees to ASCAP or BMI. This is how the songwriters get their money from that avenue for the art/work they created. Places that allow cover tunes to be played by local or regional act are required to pay these fees. And yes it is enforced pretty strictly.

That of course is here in the states, I have no clue how it works in the international arena

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 11:21 am

Somehow I doubt this movie will ever see the light of day, and even if it does, it'll probably look like some cheap piece of fan-fiction crap.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music From The Elder   Music From The Elder - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music From The Elder
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next