Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Google Music

Go down 
+10
mlotek
kyleblack
corplhicks
nevermore
exact33
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
deathisgain
mikeinfla
Lari
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6319

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 12:44 am

Any experiences?

I just opened an account. The thing is, I don't use or care for Spotify nor am I interested in Google Music's selection of songs. I basically only listen to music I own, from CDs or ripped files. I don't like the incompleteness of Spotify or any streaming service, nor do I feel like paying to listen to music I already own.

But Google Music let's you upload 50,000 songs that you can then stream with the app. That actually sounds like something I could make use of, since I do have most of my music ripped on the computer anyway.

It sounds good to me in theory. I can access my music collection anywhere I want. I haven't actually uploaded any songs yet. Has anyone else done this already?
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 7:45 am

Haven't tried it but I normally rip my own CD's to my iPod or phone. And have recently been downloading a ton of stuff for free from Amazon Prime. Yesterday I wanted to hear some U2. So I decided I would order a Best Of comp from Amazon. When I was browsing I saw "listen now with Prime" or something like that. Cool! Downloaded the whole album to my phone for free.
Back to top Go down
deathisgain
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
deathisgain

Number of posts : 285

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 7:20 pm

I used it when it first came out. Back then it was glitchy. Every once in a while I might listen to it. I usually use Spotify when I am home (the free version) or listen to the songs I have on my phone. I haven't messed with it since they updated it with channels and such.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathisgain.com
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 7:29 pm

I don't use Google Music but I use iTunes Match which has a similar feature. I have about 26,000 songs uploaded now and I can stream them to my phone.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 11:18 pm

But you have to pay for iTunes Match.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 11:20 pm

Lari wrote:
But you have to pay for iTunes Match.

Yes. $25 a year.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 1:08 am

Well, Google Play Music is free. And all (?) Android phones have the app already pre-installed.

I started uploading stuff yesterday. It's easy. Seems to work fine on the devices I've tried so far. But obviously uploading huge amounts of data takes time.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 4:15 am

I have the app on my phone but I've never even looked at it Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 2:48 pm

i just put a 256GB card in my phone and rotate music in and out - get the digital capacity and the cd picking experience.

nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25766

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 3:34 pm

Can't say that I do.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 12:55 pm

I've now used Google Play Music for three weeks and it's worked without flaws. I don't use it much (I play CDs at home on the stereo system, and in the car), but it's a nice option to know I can stream my entire collection from every phone, tablet and computer I come across.

Also, here's a link where similar services are being compared to each other:

http://www.howtogeek.com/227211/how-to-put-your-music-collection-online-and-access-it-from-any-device/
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 12:01 am

I have three (!) streaming services and GPlay is my favorite only because I can use voice commands while driving (which I do a lot for work). It's great to say "OK Google, play the album Ironbound by Overkill" instead of having to fumble with the phone.

I would say Spotify has a better layout, but GPlay is just fine. AND you get Youtube Red for free. No ads and background play FTW.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 1:14 pm

Wait, how exactly do I get Youtube Red for free?
Back to top Go down
kyleblack
Metal student
Metal student
kyleblack

Number of posts : 159

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 12:47 pm

I use it regularly on my phone and as a free back up for my mp3 collection. Any new download or rip goes right up there. The subscription service seemed ok when I trialed it but there are cheaper options. New subscribers can get four months free right now: https://play.google.com/music/listen?signup=1&coupontype=vanity&coupon=YEAREND120&u=0#
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 9:23 pm

waiting for the axe to fall, when Google Music users that upload music get mauled just the same as napster members / megaupload users / etc.

May as well call these outfits "digital mafia".
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 11:36 pm

Lari wrote:
Wait, how exactly do I get Youtube Red for free?

Whatever account you sign in with on Play Music, use that to sign into YouTube and you'll be Red. That's how it worked for me, hopefully for you too. It's pretty fly.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Yeah, I assume that means I need a paid subscription for Google Play Music. Which I'm not gonna get. I'm not paying to listen to music I already own and have paid for.

I just use the free option of uploading all my ripped CDs, and streaming them.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 2:59 pm

Lari wrote:
Yeah, I assume that means I need a paid subscription for Google Play Music. Which I'm not gonna get. I'm not paying to listen to music I already own and have paid for.

I just use the free option of uploading all my ripped CDs, and streaming them.

Ah, I see. I didn't even know they offered a free service.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Google Play is apparently going away. It doesn't effect me, but some folks here could probably benefit from this info...

https://www.popsci.com/story/technology/google-play-music-transfer-tool/

Metal is Forever
Lari

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 5:36 pm

Ehm... what is that? What is Youtube Music?

I can still stream my collection of CDs anywhere for free, right?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 5:38 pm

Of course it's going away... and only a few months after I finished uploading my entire damned album collection to it, which took me most of the past year.

(SIGH)

Guck Foogle, man.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 5:44 pm

https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/answer/9716522?hl=en

Seems like it's still free to listen to your own collection. Ad-free. Up to 100,000 uploaded songs. And you can migrate your Google Play account uploads to Youtube Music.

I never had a paid subscription of Play Music. I only used it to stream my own CD's. If I can still do that, I'm happy. Free. And no ads. Changing the app doesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Lari wrote:
https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/answer/9716522?hl=en

Seems like it's still free to listen to your own collection. Ad-free. Up to 100,000 uploaded songs. And you can migrate your Google Play account uploads to Youtube Music.

I never had a paid subscription of Play Music. I only used it to stream my own CD's. If I can still do that, I'm happy. Free. And no ads. Changing the app doesn't matter.

Same here. I never used it for anything but listening to my own stuff when I walked my dog or exercised. If I can still do that, then never mind my "Guck Foogle," I guess.

Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 10:46 pm

Do you have to pay for YouTube Music? All this streaming stuff is confusing.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 6:37 pm

The only streaming service I se is Spotify (my wife's account) through Alexa; and only sparingly. I play the occasional song or two while cleaning upstairs or cooking. If I am downstairs, with my collection and multiple stereos, streaming isn't going to be logical. I have Sirius XM in the car, and I still have not downloaded the app to my phone yet. I agree with the comment of the "incompleteness" of Spotify as there have been a few times I have requested a song and they didn't have it, or I got a crappy cover version instead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Google Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google Music   Google Music Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Google Music
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next