Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Empty
PostSubject: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 3:47 pm

Hey guys I am starting to take my music very serious and getting my old band back together to make a run at a recording contract or just play tons of gigs. My band used to play Metal and I will again have a metal band someday but as of right now I am concentrating on my songwriting skills and putting out tons of originals. I am currently the only member and I am writing acoustic rock songs and ballads. I do the guitars and vocals. My vocals have gotten a little better over the last few months and Im trying to find a comfort zone with them.

I want your guys feedback on where my songs stand vocally and songwriting wise. Remember these are just me and my guitar and I recorded them at the same time. I have about 30-40 originals recorded but these are my more recent ones and ones that I really enjoy. I am getting great feedback and would love to hear what you guys think...

www.myspace.com/robjarrettband
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 3:59 pm

Honestly? Here's my constructive criticism.

Hire a singer. It's not your strong point.

I know you like the sappy ballad stuff, but there are a billion of bands playing that. To go any further than house band at the local pub, a personal style is a must. The samples on the Myspace are pretty generic and soulless.

You're a pretty good guitarist, but try not to think too much of yourself, remember that you're not unique. Contrary to popular belief, being over confident in your abilities doesn't help one's musical career.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Spec thanks man and I have no plans on hiring a singer. Some random singer cant sing the songs the way I want them to be sang. Im also not trying to be original Im trying to write music about how I feel and am just having a great time playing these songs.

You said soulless and generic and I agree, but this is just me and a guitar, I would like to think that with a full band they would sound a little bit tighter. As for soulless well lets just say some of these songs are hard to sing because I get emotional.

The guitar is my strong point and I know that, I def am not unique but I play because I love it and now Im working on the singing part. Thanks again Spec..
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 4:44 pm

I gotta agree with spec about the vocals and i hate to say this but they are terrible. The songs are not interesting and too soft and sappy. I think you should just try to do a instrumental metal recording instead. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Trouble the songs are meant to be soft and sappy thats what kind of album im going for. I have always said I dont like my vocals but I am trying my best and I am getting a lot more comfortable with them and am proud of how they have come along.

As far as the instrumental metal album. I have tons of riifs and originals made up there as well and will def look into finding a singer for the metal album. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:24 pm

I wasn't trying to be harsh or mean, just honest. You have some ability on the guitar i just think the vocals and lyrics are lacking.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3-VF7xd_KE
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I wasn't trying to be harsh or mean, just honest. You have some ability on the guitar i just think the vocals and lyrics are lacking.

The guitar will always be my strong point and singing not so much but like I said I am comfortable where it is at, at the moment. Also lyrically is what I get praised on the most by everyone around me and I def feel lyrics and songwriting are def my strong points.

Trouble no worries about the comments keep them coming its all good...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 6:12 pm

Troublezone wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3-VF7xd_KE

Great guitar work here and a beautiful song. The songwriting is not there though meaning the way he sings his words to the music. Everything else is great, why did you post this?
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Ok I just listened to a couple of songs... They arent that bad and they are somewhat catchy. I think what you should do though is record the guitar alone and then go back and sing over it. That way maybe you can work on your vocals a little more.

What programs are you using to record your guitar? I just found a neat little program called audacity thats free and you can record right from your computer. All you have to do is put a microphone up to your amp and then just let it record. Then you can go back and do the vocals and it will be its own seperate track so if you make a mistake you can just erase it. Then you can make it into mp3's and what not.

Since ive been in the wanting to play drums to different music mood why not send me some songs that I can put drums to for ya? It'll be an interesting little internet band project. Let me know.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Ok I just listened to a couple of songs... They arent that bad and they are somewhat catchy. I think what you should do though is record the guitar alone and then go back and sing over it. That way maybe you can work on your vocals a little more.

What programs are you using to record your guitar? I just found a neat little program called audacity thats free and you can record right from your computer. All you have to do is put a microphone up to your amp and then just let it record. Then you can go back and do the vocals and it will be its own seperate track so if you make a mistake you can just erase it. Then you can make it into mp3's and what not.

Since ive been in the wanting to play drums to different music mood why not send me some songs that I can put drums to for ya? It'll be an interesting little internet band project. Let me know.

I do use Audacity and I record with a headset microphone. Phoenix those songs are downloadable and you can def take them and do whatever it is you do and send them back to me when finished. PM me and let me know what you want to do. Thanx
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Quote :
why did you post this?

Because you're going for that kind of sound.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 8:58 pm

Quote :
The songwriting is not there though meaning the way he sings his words to the music.

That's funny coming from you. Laughing
This song is a 70's classic and chart topper back in the day.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
why did you post this?

Because you're going for that kind of sound.

Yes, but with a little more emphasis on the songwriting. Have you ever listened to Rich Wards aka The Dukes solo cd My Kung Fu is Good? It is very hard to write material that people will enjoy with just a singer and a guitarist. I am trying to write songs that I would listen to if it was just a guy and his guitar. The finished product would then sound that much more amazing with a full band.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 9:04 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
The songwriting is not there though meaning the way he sings his words to the music.

That's funny coming from you. Laughing
This song is a 70's classic and chart topper back in the day.

Well I am maybe one of the pickiest music fans there is and if it doesn't grab me right away I usually don't give it more spins. Thats just me.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 9:31 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

I do use Audacity and I record with a headset microphone. Phoenix those songs are downloadable and you can def take them and do whatever it is you do and send them back to me when finished. PM me and let me know what you want to do. Thanx

ok i'll see what i can do when i get some free time.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Quote :
Have you ever listened to Rich Wards aka The Dukes solo cd My Kung Fu is Good?

Yes, i had it but i sold it. I like Rich Ward's early Mojo stuff (pigwalk) but lately he is not doing it for me.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 10:05 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Yes, i had it but i sold it. I like Rich Ward's early Mojo stuff (pigwalk) but lately he is not doing it for me.

That is an amazing album and a great sound...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 10:30 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Pigwalk or The Duke record? You should check out Pissing Razors if you like that groove metal sound.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Troublezone wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Pigwalk or The Duke record? You should check out Pissing Razors if you like that groove metal sound.

Pissing Razors is one of my fav bands and Cast Down The Plague is an amazing record I own 3 records from them.. The Duke cd is amazing as well as early Stuck Mojo...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 3:41 am

Just posted a few new songs on my myspace page. I know you guys dont like what Im going for and cant stand my singing but Im having a blast. I now have over 40 originals written...

www.myspace.com/robjarrettband

newest songs are Bad Day and The Fear Within
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 5:52 pm

http://www.zshare.net/audio/7303124947050fef/

My newest recording.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 3:38 am

Your new music reminds me of Uncle Kracker.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Why do you say that? Please explain. I'm going for an acoustic pop/rock sound but Uncle Kracker? Thats not someone I would want to be compared to. I was thinking more like Rich Ward, John Mayer, Hootie, and some others along those lines...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 11:08 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Why do you say that? Please explain. I'm going for an acoustic pop/rock sound but Uncle Kracker? Thats not someone I would want to be compared to. I was thinking more like Rich Ward, John Mayer, Hootie, and some others along those lines...

No offense but when i was listening to one of your songs it reminded me of a Uncle Kracker vibe. One of those easy going reminiscing about a girl type songs.
And being compared to Hootie ain't nothin' to write home about either...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!   LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LET MY MUSIC DO THE TALKING!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next