Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who will be the Legends?

Go down 
+13
iamrockerfun
kmorg
GrandNational
mc666
spiritoradio
MetalGuy71
T-Roy
Tall Tyrion
Temple of Blood
TheGooch
Fat Freddy
INVADERS
ultmetal
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Who will be the Legends? Empty
PostSubject: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:09 am

Some bands from the 60's and 70's are still legendary four decades later. Bands like The Doors, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Deep Purple, Yes, Judas Priest etc. are legendary and seem to cross generational boundaries. These bands forged a path for rock and heavy metal. They weren't flash in the pan bands, but spent years building their fans by consistent touring and putting out albums year after year. It was a different time when labels would put years and lots of money into bands, promoting them and building a solid fan base.

What bands from the 90's through now do you think will have this sort of appeal 30-40 years from now?

Last edited by on Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:16 am

Maiden definitely.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:17 am

I am having a hard time with this one. Even in the pop world I can't think of some from the 90's to now that will be on the same level as the bands you have mentioned. I think times are so different now that the music oversaturation will greatly restrict the chances for someone to become a legend.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:18 am

INVADERS wrote:
Maiden definitely.

Yes, but Maiden is band that was formed in the 70s and became popular in the early to mid 80's band. The question is:
What bands from the 90's through now do you think will have this sort of appeal 30-40 years from now?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:19 am

I'm gonna say ULTIMATUM before some other wise guy beats me to it. Laughing

But seriously, I kinda agree with Spectre. It seems like planned obsolescence within 5-10 years is built-in with many of today's bands. Yea, lots of bands still hang around longer than that 10 years, but by then they're usually not selling a lot of records and are touring at a more underground level. I don't see anybody new that could possibly hang with the Stones, Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc for sheer longevity.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by on Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:22 am

For the dummies like me that have never heard of the excellent word, obsolescence:

Quote :
Obsolescence: Obsolescence is an object's attribute of losing value because the outside world has changed. Obsolescence is a source of price depreciation.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:23 am

spectrefate wrote:
For the dummies like me that have never heard of the excellent word, obsolescence:

Quote :
Obsolescence: Obsolescence is an object's attribute of losing value because the outside world has changed. Obsolescence is a source of price depreciation.

Can ya tell I majored in English?
lol!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:26 am

Pantera and Machine Head
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:31 am

Basically to make this this I am thinking of bands that people still talk about and care about even though they not done any music in a long time, with the exception of Motley Crue who just seem to be getting popular with a generation that wasn't there.

Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
Guns n Roses
Motley Crue
Nirvana
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:33 am

TheGooch wrote:
Pantera and Machine Head

Pantera are another band that was formed in the 80's, although they were popular in the 1990's. They may be a canidate but because of the death of Dime, I don't see them gaining any more momentum or ever touring again like The Stones, Kiss, Aerosmith, The Doors, Black Sabbath, etc. have done some 30 and 40 years later.

However, Jimi Hendrix died in the 70's and is an icon 50 years later so it's possible that Pantera could be that as well.

I don't see Machine Head as being legends. They are hardly known outside those in the metal underground.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:34 am

ultmetal wrote:

Pantera are another band that was formed in the 80's, although they were popular in the 1990's. They may be a canidate but because of the death of Dime, I don't see them gaining any more momentum or ever touring again

Nothin' sez "legend" like a dead rock guy. Dimebag is more well known now than when he was alive.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:35 am

INVADERS wrote:
Maiden definitely.

They are already legends anyway.

I think Pantera is a great choice gooch! It really makes me feel bad that it took someone getting shot (RIP) for Pantera to get their credibility back again. They became legends through tragedy as everyone was calling them posers and mall metal, picking on their glam days up until that happened. Now you get ripped apart if you say unkind word against them, excluding Phil of course.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:39 am

ultmetal wrote:
TheGooch wrote:
Pantera and Machine Head

Pantera are another band that was formed in the 80's, although they were popular in the 1990's. They may be a canidate but because of the death of Dime, I don't see them gaining any more momentum or ever touring again like The Stones, Kiss, Aerosmith, The Doors, Black Sabbath, etc. have done some 30 and 40 years later.

However, Jimi Hendrix died in the 70's and is an icon 50 years later so it's possible that Pantera could be that as well.

I don't see Machine Head as being legends. They are hardly known outside those in the metal underground.

I think Pantera will be because of the tragedy. Honestly there is no better publicity. Besides Hendrix, what about Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, and Janis Joplin? All of which are more popular now than they ever were when they were alive.

It cements the legend, and it does not give you the chance to make much in crappy albums, nor get old,fat and/or boring.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:40 am

none of these bands (except sabbath and purple maybe) are legends for me....i have my own legends.....
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 10:24 am

None
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 10:32 am

Nirvana. After that? None!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 10:42 am

None.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 10:44 am

This is a tuff one. I'd have to say Living Sacrifice. While I'm sure they were writing and recording in the late 80's, their debut self titled was 1990....right on the cusp! But to me, in the Christian metal market only perhaps, they will be legendary IMO.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 11:33 am

I could see Korn having a lasting effect. While I can't say that I'm a fan, I do think they helped create or even start a new style/genre of music that people will look back on as something new and groundbreaking. They might not have been the 1st to play what we now call "nu-metal" but I certainly think they've made a name for themselves doing it and bringing it to the mainstream. All's they need now is a member to die in some tradgic manner and their place would be cemented into legendary status history.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 11:45 am

Pearl Jam who were big in the 90's are still pretty big through constant touring and the continuous releasing of albums.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 11:45 am

i'd say MetalGuy is right. Korn would be one of the only 90's bands who compares with the guys Ult originally mentioned (no, not musically) in terms of popularity, sales, individual style, & bringing fourth a flood of copycats.

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 12:42 pm

Nightwish
Iced Earth
Lacuna Coil
Shadows Fall

all these bands are gaining rapid momentum right now. Many of those outside metal circles are becoming more aware of them. Give it some time, and all these bands could go down in history ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 12:46 pm

blackieboy wrote:
Give it some time, and all these bands could go down in history ...

I agree it could happen, but Culture Club went down in history as well.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 12:50 pm

spectrefate wrote:
blackieboy wrote:
Give it some time, and all these bands could go down in history ...

I agree it could happen, but Culture Club went down in history as well.

Great. Now I'm gonna have "Karma Chameleon" stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Thanks a lot.

Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 12:51 pm

See?!?! LEGENDS!!!!!!!!!!! :defleppard:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who will be the Legends?   Who will be the Legends? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who will be the Legends?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next