Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Ultimate Frontman

Go down 
+22
MetalGuy71
anthrax_fan
Wurthless
Addy
nevermore
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Thelemech
James B.
Lari
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Wrecked Neck
Troublezone
Thrasher73
akeldama
manny
Glower
tohostudios
the sentinel
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 7:02 pm

I definitely think old school David Lee Roth deserves a high rating for his over the top stage presence.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 7:10 pm

This is gonna be one of those 'I can't believe I missed out' threads!

Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 11:05 pm

Paul Stanley, anyone?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2019 6:08 am

Out of who I've seen, I'd say Paul Stanley. Great stage presence and on stage banter with the crowd.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2019 6:39 am

Prince? Great showmanship, etc. but I’m not sure about stage banter. He’s one of my all-time faves but I’m not sure how he was with the audience.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 am

GG Allin.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2019 11:40 am

corplhicks wrote:
GG Allin.

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2019 12:03 pm

akeldama wrote:
Prince? Great showmanship, etc. but I’m not sure about stage banter. He’s one of my all-time faves but I’m not sure how he was with the audience.

Yep that's another one that I can't believe that I didn't think of!!

Prince didn't really have to do the 'We love you Cleveland' thing, he was a bona-fide event in itself.

My friend was at this and people were standing there open mouthed because 'It's Prince! It's f*%king Prince!!'

Worst of all was that after he destroyed the building, The Kaiser Chiefs were tasked with following it and they looked embarrassed to be there lol!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Total Rock n Roll Attitude...
1)Bon Scott
2)Steven Tyler
3)Kory Clarke
4)Dan McCafferty

Total Showmanship...
1)Robert Plant
2)David Lee Roth
3)Jim Dandy
4)Mick Jagger

Total Cool Factor...
1)Ronnie Van Zandt
2)Jon Oliva
3)Jack Russell
4)Jeff Keith

Total Insanity...
1)Katon De Pena
2)Mark Osegueda
3)Lemmy
4)Bruce Corbitt

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2019 2:54 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Those are great ones and I'd add Sebastian Bach to the list.

But the greatest frontman of all-time in my opinion will and forever be...

Freddie Mercury!!!!!

Hells yes!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2019 6:47 pm

Jimi Hendrix anyone?
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2019 11:28 pm

obscure answer: Gord Downie from The Tragically Hip, he had some of the most fun, engaging, idiosyncratic, thoughtful banter and lyrical improv I've ever encountered. Plus he was a repository of neurotic energy, one of the most awe-inspiring performers to watch do their thing.

more along the lines of what we all know and love: Ronnie Dio, Bruce Dickinson, Ian Gillan, Peter Gabriel in Genesis, David Byrne, Steve Walsh from Kansas, John Wetton from King Crimson, etc.

There's probably a ton of ones I'm forgetting. But I'd agree with Prince, Jimi Hendrix, Freddie Mercury, and Iggy Pop amongst others that people listed.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2019 9:34 am

Jim Dandy made me think of Danny Joe Brown which made me think of Charlie Daniels. I'm really off the path now.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 10:35 am

A big giant nod to Paul Rodgers....cool factor...great voice...and could pick up a guitar or sit at a piano/keyboard if need be. Awesome talent (IMHDO)

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

Number of posts : 442

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 am

Rob Halford , for sure ...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 12:40 pm

anthrax_fan wrote:
Rob Halford , for sure ...

Certainly back in his prime. He's been showing his age over the last few years. He may still sound good, but his movement and energy has been sapped with his hip and back problems.

And one that hasn't been mentioned yet, Stevie Ray Vaughn. What he lacked in stage banter he more than made up for with his passionate playing. He's the only performer that I prefer his live recordings over the studio stuff.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 6:54 pm

Good call on SRV, he made me pick up the guitar and then put it down again. Gary Moore is another one who is great to watch play.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 7:22 pm

James B. wrote:
A big giant nod to Paul Rodgers....cool factor...great voice...and could pick up a guitar or sit at a piano/keyboard if need be.  Awesome talent (IMHDO)

I agree at least vocally.  I have no idea how Paul was/is as a showman and commanding a stage but I love the guy's voice.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Quote :
Steven Tyler (in his prime) was a great one too.

Yeah, even today, he puts most frontmen to shame.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 8:58 pm

Great thread!!!!

My first thought: David Lee Roth

My correction to the real answer: Freddie Mercury (Toho!)

Of those I've personally seen:

Dale Thompson - Bride - In his prime, back in the early 90's...Bride could really bring it.

Bruce Dickinson - Just so hard to argue with.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 9:31 pm

Yeah this thread is an interesting read.  It all depends on your subjective opinion of what constitutes a great frontman.  Is it the vocals?  The charisma/stage presence?  The showmanship? Some combination thereof?  Or just some unquantifiable quality that you just know when you see it? 

I can understand all points of view on this one.  Good thread!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 9:37 pm

And yeah, for my money, unless some other phenom comes along during my lifetime that has the same package of great vocals, showmanship, stage presence and everything else you could possibly want in a "frontman", Freddie Mercury owns this title forever.  

But who knows, there may be another "Freddie" out there somewhere so never say never...

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 9:49 pm

James B. wrote:
Total Rock n Roll Attitude...
1)Bon Scott
2)Steven Tyler
3)Kory Clarke
4)Dan McCafferty

Total Showmanship...
1)Robert Plant
2)David Lee Roth
3)Jim Dandy
4)Mick Jagger

Total Cool Factor...
1)Ronnie Van Zandt
2)Jon Oliva
3)Jack Russell
4)Jeff Keith

Total Insanity...
1)Katon De Pena
2)Mark Osegueda
3)Lemmy
4)Bruce Corbitt

Great List, James! Lots of variety and I love the way you sub-categorized the guys.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 9:50 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Yeah this thread is an interesting read.  It all depends on your subjective opinion of what constitutes a great frontman.  Is it the vocals?  The charisma/stage presence?  The showmanship? Some combination thereof?  Or just some unquantifiable quality that you just know when you see it? 

I can understand all points of view on this one.  Good thread!

Excellent work my Metal Brothers headbanger
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 10:54 pm

Mick Jagger is a classic example of the "IT factor".

Are his vocals great?  Hell no!  Is he "theatrical" in the presentation of the Stones' music?  Nope.  Is he a showman?  Hell YES!!!! 

I saw The Rolling Stones on the Voodoo Lounge Tour at Giants Stadium in 1994 and had no idea what I was in for.  Mick running all over (and climbing) a huge stage while singing the Stones' classics.  Add in the inflatable monsters, the lasers and computer graphics and I was completely blown away; best concert I've ever seen.

But the main reason was Mick Jagger.  He's a showman, plain and simple; he was born to do what he's doing.  And for me that's what makes a "frontman"; someone who just seems to slip into that role naturally, as if they were born to it.

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate Frontman
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next