Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!

Go down 
+13
Wrecked Neck
Dark Horseman
Lari
BearOnUnicycle
assault_attack
EvyMetal
scottmitchell74
A Handful of Wayne
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
mc666
Wargod
Fat Freddy
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 4:39 pm

Morgana Lefay

Any thoughts on this "dark power metal" band?

I have been the only one who has loved this band in my circle of friends for eons (since 1992).

Their material is a little difficult to get a hold of unless The End happens to have it in stock at any time.

They are a real treat and are very unique, methinks. I love Charles Rytkönen's voice. Grand Materia and Abberrations of the Mind are some of the best albums out there these days. Their back catalogue smokes as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 5:47 pm

Yea I've been there from early on too, great band, I like the Lefay material too (3CDs), I'm more into their Older albums more so that the newer stuff.

Knowing Just as I & the Secret Doctrine are essential listens in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 6:01 pm

When I first got into this band I knew them as simply "Lefay." I have their THE SEVENTH SEAL and S.O.S. albums from that period, both are quite excellent.
GRAND MATERIA is pretty cool as well, although I wasn't as impressed with the new ABERATIONS OF THE MIND. They've always been dogged by Savatage comparisons (mostly due to Rytkonen's vocal similarity to Jon Oliva) but musically the new one sounds like they're big Nevermore fans as well, if you know what I mean.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 6:48 pm

I have never understood the Savatage comparison. Hmmm... But yes, the Lefay albums kick monkey arse as well.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 7:28 pm

I've had Abberations Of The Mind for sometime and great stuff!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 12:36 am

i like them just fine.

SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 2:45 am

Yes, right behind Tad Morose and Veni Domine for me. One of the best.

p.s.- Is there a reason so many good Swedish bands have the letters MOR in their titles MORgana Lefay, Tad MORose, Memento MORi, MORifade. Does that mean something in Swedish?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 9:53 am

From the little I've heard of them, they sounded pretty good and I was briefly on a kick to find some of their work. Around the same time I was picking up and listening to allot of Europen power metal bands and they all started to blend together and I got bored with the genre.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 1:38 pm

Love this band!! "S.O.S." is my favorite...
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 7:14 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
From the little I've heard of them, they sounded pretty good and I was briefly on a kick to find some of their work. Around the same time I was picking up and listening to allot of Europen power metal bands and they all started to blend together and I got bored with the genre.

I've felt the same thing at times. I find that power metal has to have a little prog twist or something to keep my attention these days. That's why I can recommend early Morgana Lefay heartily. The "Just Lefey" stuff that I've heard is more straightforward. This is the same reason I prefer 90's Tad Morose over their current stuff.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 11:37 am

I stopped into a cd shop last night and they had 6 or 7 (maybe more) Morgana Lefay cd's for sale, all under $10 bucks. I'm not sure of the titles, but I'm definately going back to pick some up. Any good recommendations? Any I should steer clear of or are they all quality metal?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 11:41 am

They are one of my top 3 favorite bands ever.

Knowing Just As I isn't so great. I would stay clear of that one.

Look for (in this order) Grand Materia, S.O.S., The Seventh Seal, Malificium, The Secret Doctrine, Aberrations of the Mind (although this shouldn't be your first introduction to the band), and Sanctified.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 12:43 pm

spectrefate wrote:
They are one of my top 3 favorite bands ever.

Knowing Just As I isn't so great. I would stay clear of that one.

Look for (in this order) Grand Materia, S.O.S., The Seventh Seal, Malificium, The Secret Doctrine, Aberrations of the Mind (although this shouldn't be your first introduction to the band), and Sanctified.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm gonna try and get back there before the end of the week. Now that I'm done Christmas shopping and still have a little cash left over, my new-music-spending-freeze is being lifted. I'm jonesin' for some new music.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 2:00 pm

I got all their albums even the one where they split and morgana lefay was a new band and the original members started Lefay. Everything is pretty good. Im glad they got their name back. I am a little mad though cause for some reason my Sanctified cd is all messed up. There are little holes in the cd part itself. (not on the plastic case but actually inside the cd) and I have no idea how they even got in there. Has that ever happened to anyone? Its like something went into the cd and just corroded the whole thing. Luckily I found MP3's online so I made a cd of it. I still have the original though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 2:02 pm

I've never heard about that kind of defect, but I'm happy to see another Morgana die-hard! Smile
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 2:03 pm

I've been hoping some LaLas trader would send one my way. Hasn't happened yet, but one can hope. I've liked what I heard. I think I sought them out based on Spectre pimping them (rightfully so!) once before.....
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 2:57 am

Ever since spectre sent that comp. to me, I can't stop listenin to Morgana Lefay! Thing is I can't find anything of theirs under $10.00 Does anyone know anywhere that I could get their cd's cheap?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 7:12 am

All their releases aren't cheap in the US. I suggest Half.com or EBay.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 11:54 pm

Damn.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 2:39 am

spectrefate wrote:
All their releases aren't cheap in the US. I suggest Half.com or EBay.
or go for used on Amazon

assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 6:39 pm

New fan here so I used search to see if there were threads here already.

I only have "Grand Materia" and can't stop playing it! So the next step is to ask fans of the band what cd should I get next? Looks like they have been around for 25 years..

I see a guest  put this list up.  "Look for (in this order) Grand Materia, S.O.S., The Seventh Seal, Malificium, The Secret Doctrine, Aberrations of the Mind (although this shouldn't be your first introduction to the band), and Sanctified"

Sound good to the die hards out there? Any other comments or suggestions?

Look forword to checking out more of this band..
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 3:04 am

I like The Secret Doctrine the most.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 11:20 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
I like The Secret Doctrine the most.

Greeting from sunny California & Thanks for the response.

Maybe I should start at the beginning and work my way forward, That way I can see how they developed as a band.

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 3:05 pm

I like all the albums so can't really go wrong with anything you pick. Aberrations of the mind is very different sounding for them so yea I wouldn't start with that but it's a good one also. Just make sure to stay away from another band called Morgans legacy. I believe the album is self titled. It has a picture of a gun on the front cover. It's terrible. It actually has some of the band members in it but there's a different vocalist. There was a legal battle over the name which led to that album being released under the name. So stay clear of that one.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 4:00 pm

I just bought three second hand Morgana Lefay CD's and would like to know how I did (I didn't play them yet, and in fact I have never heard the band):

Sanctified
Maleficium
Grand Materia (Ltd)

€40 ($45) combined. There were others available but I just quickly picked some according to how they were rated on Rateyourmusic.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!   Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fans of Morgana Lefay Unite!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next