Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beer!

Go down 
+20
Troublezone
James B.
anthrax_fan
the sentinel
scottmitchell74
Lari
glassprison
Boris2008
bassman
Stender
exact33
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
nevermore
Fat Freddy
akeldama
Dark Horseman
tohostudios
DeathCult
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2018 8:36 pm

I'm drinking the first "fail" I've ever had from the normally reliable Ommegang brewery.  It's supposed to be an English barleywine (my current favorite style).  It's the latest in Ommegang's "Game Of Thrones" series.  This one is called "Hand Of the Queen". 

I don't know what this is but it's not an English barleywine.  It doesn't have any of the vanilla or toffee flavors I've come to expect from the style.  And apparently I'm not the only one who doesn't appreciate this beer.  Check out this Beer Advocate review:

Quote :
Smells of charred wood and charred grain. Only 12 bottles of this stuff in the whole county and it smells like.... Pabst Blue Ribbon. I tried really hard to smell more but not in this.

Starts out mild. Really mild. Little bit of malt and bitter, but mostly....it tastes like lager.

Tastes like Pabst. I am at this point doubting my taste buds. But....This tastes like Pabst Blue Ribbon. Alcohol is undetectable though.

Mouthfeel is Pabst.

In other words this is probably right up Fat Freddy's alley.  It IS 10.5 ABV though so it's like Pabst on steroids.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37653

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2018 8:44 pm

Tried another new Polish beer today... "Okocim Pils," aka "the O.K. Beer" apparently.

It was... O.K. Razz

Beer! - Page 9 119268_ok-can_1502752586672

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2018 9:13 pm

Are you finding those import beers to be "skunky"?  Most of the European imports I've tried had that smell even if they tasted OK.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2018 1:00 am

Trying another one of those Gulden Draaks. I haven't had one in a while because my Saturdays have been plagued by migraines which don't mix well with alcohol:

Beer! - Page 9 12554342735_c9eb2f10a5_b
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/104581/

Just like the other one, a fine Belgian. Though the alcohol has a stronger presence, probably due to being aged in whiskey barrels.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39611

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 7:56 pm

You beer snobs will love this. I got 2 40 ouncers of Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor Brew for $6.00. A good way to celebrate the holiday weekend. I hadn't drank that since I was probably in high school but it tasted rather well. A nice cheap buzz ! lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 8:00 pm

Wow, I have no idea what that is but based on the name and the price point I probably am better off.  lol!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 8:01 pm

I'm enjoying a new variation of Dragon's Milk (my "gateway" beer to snobbery).  This one is a chocolate-cherry version.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37653

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 8:08 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Are you finding those import beers to be "skunky"? 

Not so far. No complaints yet.

Quote :
I got 2 40 ouncers of Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor Brew for $6.00. A good way to celebrate the holiday weekend. I hadn't drank that since I was probably in high school but it tasted rather well. A nice cheap buzz !

Ohh yeah, I remember Mickey's. We drank that stuff in college all the time. It came in those cool little stubby bottles with the wide mouths.
Beer! - Page 9 5188
It was also mentioned in the Ugly Kid Joe song "Panhandlin' Prince." Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 8:16 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Are you finding those import beers to be "skunky"? 

Not so far. No complaints yet.

Quote :
I got 2 40 ouncers of Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor Brew for $6.00. A good way to celebrate the holiday weekend. I hadn't drank that since I was probably in high school but it tasted rather well. A nice cheap buzz !

Ohh yeah, I remember Mickey's.  We drank that stuff in college all the time. It came in those cool little stubby bottles with the wide mouths.
Beer! - Page 9 5188
It was also mentioned in the Ugly Kid Joe song "Panhandlin' Prince." Laughing very hard

You are correct sir! lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 8:18 pm

I just HAD to look up Mickey's on Beer Advocate to see what the reviewers had to say.  I was expecting a lot of laughs at how horrible it is.  Surprisingly, although it does only rate out at 2.51 out of 5 (Poor), the reviews aren't very unkind.  In fact quite a few reviewers seem to like it; or at least say it's a good buzz for the price.

Obviously with my current limit of 2 beers per day it's not one I'll waste my time on but I sure would if I was in college or looking for a cheap buzz.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 8:27 pm

That's exactly what it is, a cheap beer that has a decent flavor and a nice kick. Perfect for the younger crowd. I wasn't sure what to expect but with that price I had to check it out and was pleasantly surprised.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2018 9:08 pm

Trying a new one tonight:  Dugges Coffee Vanilla Black. 

Very rich and heavy stout with lots of coffee and vanilla (obviously) and a 13% ABV which is pretty well hidden.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2018 11:53 pm

Beer! - Page 9 Gulden-Draak-9000-Quadruple-toog
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/71973/

Wow! This beer is awesome!!!! May very well be the best Belgian I've had. This is definitively the best of the three Gulden Draaks!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2018 4:58 pm

I picked up a bottle of that today.  Haven't tried it yet.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Tried the Gulden Draak tonight.

It's good but I like St. Bernardus Abt 12 and Golden Carolus (which I can't find anymore) better.  This tasted like a slightly watered down version of either of those beers.  Not bad by any stretch but I was hoping for more.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Drinking a glass of this one now:

Beer! - Page 9 Dugges%2Bcoffee%2Bvan%2Bblack

It's my new favorite coffee stout but good luck finding it; there's only one place around here that has it and when I went there last weekend I grabbed half a dozen bottles of it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/12172/335937/

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 12:56 am

tohostudios wrote:

It's good but I like St. Bernardus Abt 12 and Golden Carolus (which I can't find anymore) better.  This tasted like a slightly watered down version of either of those beers.  Not bad by any stretch but I was hoping for more.

Haven't ever had St. Bernardus Abt 12 but I've seen it around. I need to hunt that one down. Goldon Carolus I have never seen.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 1:08 am

tohostudios wrote:

Out of curiosity, was it the 9000 or just the regular one? The regular one was good but the 9000 blew it out of the water. The regular one was just one level above Maudite.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 5:39 pm

9000, the quad.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 5:41 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Haven't ever had St. Bernardus Abt 12 but I've seen it around. I need to hunt that one down. Goldon Carolus I have never seen.

I think you'll love Abt 12.  I even have a St. Bernardus glass the I use for drinking all my Belgians.  I bought it as part of a gift set.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2018 5:55 pm

I tried a really weird one last night.  It's called "French Toast" from Decadent Ales.  It's a double IPA brewed with maple syrup and cinnamon and it tastes just like that.  I didn't really like it as it was sickeningly sweet but I can't say I wasn't warned with a name like that and it clearly states what's in it on the can. 

I poured most of it down the drain.  Too bad because I still have 3 more.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 12:13 am

Beer! - Page 9 Image_thumb%255B3%255D?imgmax=800
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 8:06 am

I bet that's good.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 12:41 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I bet that's good.

Sure is! I personally prefer it to a regular milk stout.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 5:54 pm

I love coconut in beer when it's done right but it so seldom is.  I bet coconut in a milk stout tastes like a Mounds Bar if it's done right.

Looks like the BA folks like it too.  I like this review:

Quote :
Jet black pour, a minimal amount of light leaking in on the edges, rich tan head. Aroma is a coconut sledgehammer to the melon - and then some of the char slips in. Magnificent.

The taste is all about the coconut, too, but this beer is the slightest bit thin. If it had a smidge more body, beer nerds would stand in long lines to acquire this.

Beer! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beer!
Page 9 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 25  Next