Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guilty Pleasure Songs

Go down 
+16
mikeinfla
ShadowAngel
Addy
Eyesore
Hadley
MetalGuy71
James B.
Wrecked Neck
akeldama
exact33
Boris2008
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
Lari
Wurthless
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 6:50 am

Forgot about that Icehouse song. I hated it when it was new but I find it enjoyable now.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 9:45 am

I've been meaning to share my thoughts on this thread for a while. I can't believe some of the music that has been listed, which is considered a "guilty pleasure". I guess I've allowed myself the ability to expand my musical horizons a little more and thank God. Hell, I've been listening to heavy metal/hard rock since at least 82, but never did I pigeonhole myself along that pathway. There might have been times where metal/hard rock dominated my listening habits, but it never allowed for an exclusion of other genres.

First off, when I think of "guilty pleasures", I think of stuff that is so beyond the musical framework of metal. If you're a singer~ songwriter, whatever the genre, I think that excludes a lot of would be considered a "guilty pleasure". I've seen some disco stuff on here, which I like, but I understand why that would be listed, as there most definitely was a stigma attached to that. I'm not saying this is why disco died, but this didn't help that genre:

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 1:28 pm

I'm a metalhead first and foremost but it's never been my only genre to enjoy.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 17, 2017 1:36 pm

In the 80's if it wasn't rock or metal I just wasn't interested. Now that I am older I am finding I love most of the music from the 80's. I used to think if it wasn't rock or metal then they were not "real musicians" and everything was made on a casio keyboard. This morning I woke up with Level 42 stuck in my head and I just love this song. Found a live version of this song and it shows me that these guys are great musicians and the singer is an outstanding bass player.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 17, 2017 6:25 pm

I have that song in an 80's compilation. Good pop songs take talent.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I have that song in an 80's compilation. Good pop songs take talent.

Yes they do.  That's why although I can't stand ABBA, I love ABBA cover albums done by metal/hard rock bands.  Or for a more recent vintage check out this cover of a Lady Gaga song by Underride.  Say what you want about Lady Gaga (personally I think she's very talented and has a good voice but she doesn't do a style of music I enjoy) but I think this is a good example of a good "pop" song being placed in a different context.  And yes, she actually wrote it so the woman does know her way around a good song "hook":

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 17, 2017 11:29 pm

Hearing enough songs by ABBA done by others has changed my opinon about them.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 8:42 pm

Here's one that's hard to admit I like.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 11:18 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

Here's one that's hard to admit I like.

Not for me! Great song! Love Ambrosia. Here's another couple of songs, which are in the same vain and a year removed.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Haven't heard that Sneaker song in decades. It does have that Ambrosia sound.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 1:09 pm

I've got Ambrosia's first album on LP, and it's a really good pop-prog album (years before that whole early 80s Yes, Asia, Genesis trend). I've not really heard much of their stuff afterwards, but it seems it got a whole helluva lot more poppy based off that track.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 4:48 pm

They did. I'm guessing the label wanted more music for the adult easy listening market.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2017 6:56 am

Here's one for me that takes me back to a particular memory every time I hear it. I was 9 years old when this was a hit and I had just moved from Michigan to Tennessee. I didn't have a lot of friends at first, I was a shy kid that summer but I did play with the boy and girl across the street. He was a year younger and she was a year older. She had this 45 and let me borrow it. I used to play it over and over. I think it was probably the time I (at a young age) felt an attraction to someone for the first time. Not the girl across the street but the one singing the song. My first crush I guess you could say. So when I hear this I have fond memories of that first summer in Tennessee and the fun that we had playing in the streets with not a care in the world. As the summer went on I met a ton of kids. All middle class from good families and one of them became my best friend for life until he passed away a few years ago. Anyway, this is probably my #1 guilty pleasure song:

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2017 4:38 pm

Songs put you in a place and time. Don't really like that song but my Sister did and it puts me in a time before my family fell apart.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 02, 2017 6:59 pm

tohostudios wrote:
That album is great King.  Highly recommended.  I know glassprison agrees with me.

i got all the Blackberry studio material. Excellent stuff.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs   Guilty Pleasure Songs - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guilty Pleasure Songs
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5