Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cassettes may be making a comeback

Go down 
+26
chewie
corplhicks
glassprison
kyleblack
John Madden
A Handful of Wayne
Temple of Blood
MoonChild
ZombieHavoc
mikeinfla
Boris2008
the sentinel
Hadley
Required Fields
Eyesore
Fat Freddy
manny
80s Metal Lady
Gilbert
Lari
Runicen
Witchfinder
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Sword Of The Heretic
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 2:41 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
Back in the day, I was the "Cassette Doctor".... Everybody who knew me would bring
me their busted cassettes and I would fix them up to the best of my ability. I would usually
have to change the reels inside to another cassette casing. Some cassettes have the little
mini screws, some were just snapped together.....remember those little square cushions
in the middle that kept falling off? oh yea.....the memories of fixing them with superglue...

You were doing God's work. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 2:46 pm

Runicen wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
There's a sucker (moron) born every minute.

I agree but mostly these cassette tapes come with FLAC downloads and are only a buck or two more than a simple download. It's just a fad but I've bought a few as a collector.

Wait...  So cassette releases have been faster on the uptake for offering lossless downloads with the physical product than vinyl?  So much for vinyl as an audiophile format (and yes, I know it's not, but considering how it's marketed).

It's not so much the format as such, more that I buy most of these cassettes through Bandcamp and you can always get a lossless dl whether you buy vinyl, cd or cassette.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 3:17 pm

The type of download offered seems to vary depending on what label released it. I've bought LPs with .mp3 download codes, I've bought them when you've got a choice of .flac or .mp3 and I even bought one that gave me the option of a hi-res 24/96 download. The most recent Steven Wilson album I bought on blu-ray and it also came with an option for a lossless .flac download (but sadly, not hi-res for whatever reason).

It's a crapshoot. All I know is a .mp3 download is no incentive at all for me to purchase something.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 3:42 pm

S.D. wrote:
It's a crapshoot.  All I know is a .mp3 download is no incentive at all for me to purchase something.

Seconded.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 11:03 pm

Interesting article about the tape trading community.

Cassette Revolution: Why 1980s Tape Tech Is Still Making Noise in Our Digital World
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/cassette-revolution/
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 8:41 am

Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read.

While the low-cost aspect of cassettes is awesome, it's become the lo-fi version of SACD - nobody has the ways or means to acquire a working player. Hell, I wouldn't even HAVE one if I hadn't gotten a wild hair to figure out how to replace the belts in mine. It arrived pretty much unusable until I did that. Not that many people are similarly inclined, sadly.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 6:54 pm

Tapes will always hold a nostalgic place in my heart as I wore a many of them out and watched a many of them get eaten. I will never buy another one though. Now CD's I will buy as long as I possibly can.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 9:55 am

7thSecond wrote:
Tapes will always hold a nostalgic place in my heart as I wore a many of them out and watched a many of them get eaten. I will never buy another one though. Now CD's I will buy as long as I possibly can.

Wow, talk about a blast from the past. Haven't seen you around here in ages. Welcome back!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 4:41 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
7thSecond wrote:

Wow, talk about a blast from the past. Haven't seen you around here in ages. Welcome back!

I thought the same thing.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
Back in the day, I was the "Cassette Doctor".... Everybody who knew me would bring
me their busted cassettes and I would fix them up to the best of my ability. I would usually
have to change the reels inside to another cassette casing. Some cassettes have the little
mini screws, some were just snapped together.....remember those little square cushions
in the middle that kept falling off? oh yea.....the memories of fixing them with superglue...

lol!  I remember doing that! Yea, I hated those little F'n squares too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cassettes may be making a comeback
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3