Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cassettes may be making a comeback

Go down 
+26
chewie
corplhicks
glassprison
kyleblack
John Madden
A Handful of Wayne
Temple of Blood
MoonChild
ZombieHavoc
mikeinfla
Boris2008
the sentinel
Hadley
Required Fields
Eyesore
Fat Freddy
manny
80s Metal Lady
Gilbert
Lari
Runicen
Witchfinder
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Sword Of The Heretic
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 11:17 am

And here I am, having thrown away all the 3000 cassettes I had - thankfully after digitalizing them onto the hard drive.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 12:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
^^ I remember reading that when Cheap Trick wanted to release that album on 8-track, they had a hell of a time even finding a duplicator/manufacturer that had the equipment to make 8-tracks anymore! Haha.

Yeah, worst format ever. I hate how song would fade out.... Then the machine would "CLUNK" to the next track and fade back in. My brother had an 8-track player in his car in the early 80's. He joined Columbia House and instead of ordering vinyl he ordered everything on 8 track. Man, what a waste!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 1:31 pm

I do think my cassettes have a much warmer sound than my CDs and prefer listening to these versions over the albums where I have the CD as well.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 2:40 pm

I read that Stryper's To Hell With the Devil had a VERY limited number of 8 track pressings somewhere when it was released.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 3:18 pm

It kind of seems fitting that Tesla would release Reel 2 Reel on 8-track, considering that it was a bunch of 70s cover songs. Surprised they didnt make an actual Reel to Reel version!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 8:48 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I do think my cassettes have a much warmer sound than my CDs and prefer listening to these versions over the albums where I have the CD as well.

I actually believe that as well. to this day I swear Helloween Keeper 1 and 2 sound way better on cassette than on cd and even the vinyl.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 9:24 pm

I remember jammin' And Justice for All on cassette in the Madden cruiser,and putting scotch tape over the song titles so they wouldn't be erased.It seems that early copies of AJFA on cassette had a tendency for the actual song titles would rub off easily. !BOOM!
Back to top Go down
kyleblack
Metal student
Metal student
kyleblack

Number of posts : 159

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 1:26 am

Here's a label/distro dedicated almost exclusively to cassettes: http://caligarirecords.storenvy.com/collections/279013-cassettes

All stuff released in the last couple years. Almost all of their own releases have sold out within months.

Century Media, Nuclear Blast and Relapse have all been doing cassettes releases.

Some other labels releasing cassettes:

http://www.dreadrecords.net
http://www.flogarecords.com
http://headsplitrecords.blogspot.com
http://www.shadowkingdomrecords.com
http://tridroid.bandcamp.com

and there are tons more.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 10:29 am

Yeah, my AJFA song titles rubbed off on mine too. Annoying!
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 10:39 am

I have to say, making mix tapes was much more fun than burning mixes on cd.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 10:46 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Yeah, my AJFA song titles rubbed off on mine too.  Annoying!

Yup, me too. I actually took a bottle of Liquid Paper and drew a "1" and "2" on each side of the tape with it so I'd know which side to put in the player first. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 11:12 am

The best part of cassettes was leaving them on the dashboard of your car and coming back to this:

Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 83009597_1e13eee645_z
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 11:20 am

Remember when certain cassettes would put the full album (or EP) on both sides of the tape? I have 3 examples of that (the first 2 U2 albums and Slayer's Reign in Blood), but i never really got the point of that.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 11:34 am

Hadley wrote:
Remember when certain cassettes would put the full album (or EP) on both sides of the tape? I have 3 examples of that (the first 2 U2 albums and Slayer's Reign in Blood), but i never really got the point of that.

That was strange - I assume it was done because you had to fill up space without a bunch of blank tape?

I liked cassettes that would feature two albums on one cassette. This was my favorite:

Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Paranoid_heavenhell_tape_large
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 11:58 am

I always took double cassette albums like Rush's Chronicles and glued them back to back for one complete package. I thought I was so cool.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 12:05 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I always took double cassette albums like Rush's Chronicles and glued them back to back for one complete package. I thought I was so cool.

Ha! That was innovation.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 12:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Yeah, my AJFA song titles rubbed off on mine too.  Annoying!

Yup, me too. I actually took a bottle of Liquid Paper and drew a "1" and "2" on each side of the tape with it so I'd know which side to put in the player first. Very Happy

Hilarious! Just made me realize I was OCD about my cassettes. I used to handle them like vinyl. I only touched the edges and NEVER the face of the tape. The inside jackets had to be folded just right and had to be neat. And if the plastic cover had a scratch or a scuff in the trash it went to be replaced with a new one (and to an extent I was even this way with my CD's until good jewel cases became impossible to find).
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 12:25 pm

I had this one and thought I got a steal on it when I paid $6 for it!

Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 MeE-N3FBgZjRm3rart-fCYw
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 12:29 pm

I believe this was the only 2 on 1 cassette I had :

Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 MOTSNxUEUT5FKz0GHgLnRLw

And I never liked pre-Steve Perry Journey so I only listened to Next maybe once or twice.
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 12:09 pm

I could understand the appeal of vinyl for sure-bigger artwork, slightly more durable for instance-but tape seems like a relic of the past with no redeeming qualities other than nostalgia. Cassettes are about as useful as a typewriter or rotary phones.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 12:10 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Hadley wrote:

That was strange - I assume it was done because you had to fill up space without a bunch of blank tape?

I liked cassettes that would feature two albums on one cassette.  This was my favorite:

Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Paranoid_heavenhell_tape_large

That reminds me of what Dead Kennedys did for the cassette pressing of one of their albums - they deliberately left the other side of the cassette blank.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 2:43 pm

Since I was diving the minivan today, I was jammin' a Frank Zappa mixtape that a buddy of mine had given to me YEARS ago. I still find cassettes useful because of the minivan.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 8:07 am

Boris2008 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
There's a sucker (moron) born every minute.

I agree but mostly these cassette tapes come with FLAC downloads and are only a buck or two more than a simple download. It's just a fad but I've bought a few as a collector.

Wait... So cassette releases have been faster on the uptake for offering lossless downloads with the physical product than vinyl? So much for vinyl as an audiophile format (and yes, I know it's not, but considering how it's marketed).
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 8:12 am

John Madden wrote:
I could understand the appeal of vinyl for sure-bigger artwork, slightly more durable for instance-but tape seems like a relic of the past with no redeeming qualities other than nostalgia. Cassettes are about as useful as a typewriter or rotary phones.

Personally, in the age of the ascendance of the thrift store, knowing that I might chance on some pristine cassette versions of albums I''ve always wanted to hear for less than a buck each makes it good policy to keep a working tape deck on hand as a just in case.

Also, lest we forget, there are plenty of albums that never got proper digital releases, OR which got such limited digital releases that you'd need to mortgage the house to track down a quality copy and an awful lot of those do pop up on cassette. A prime example of this is the still-shrinkwrapped copy of "The Deacon" by Steve Hunter I picked up for something like $2 which got immediately ripped to my media server and shall live in perpetuity.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 12:24 pm

Back in the day, I was the "Cassette Doctor".... Everybody who knew me would bring
me their busted cassettes and I would fix them up to the best of my ability. I would usually
have to change the reels inside to another cassette casing. Some cassettes have the little
mini screws, some were just snapped together.....remember those little square cushions
in the middle that kept falling off? oh yea.....the memories of fixing them with superglue...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cassettes may be making a comeback
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next