Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cassettes may be making a comeback

Go down 
+26
chewie
corplhicks
glassprison
kyleblack
John Madden
A Handful of Wayne
Temple of Blood
MoonChild
ZombieHavoc
mikeinfla
Boris2008
the sentinel
Hadley
Required Fields
Eyesore
Fat Freddy
manny
80s Metal Lady
Gilbert
Lari
Runicen
Witchfinder
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Sword Of The Heretic
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

Cassettes may be making a comeback Empty
PostSubject: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 10:55 am

http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article22245705.html
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 11:03 am

Please God no.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 11:16 am

It's sort of a novelty niche thing for now. Swords & Chains Records, I think, is a short run, cassette only label for Metal bands.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 11:19 am

I have purchased several new cassettes in the past year or so - purely for the sake of novelty. That format sucked back in the day and it sucks now.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 11:35 am

I'd be very leery of "build quality" on new cassettes. I mean, how many of the old assembly facilities are even still online? My suspicion is that these are niche, special order type jobs and the odds of those being quality aren't good.

I still need to digitize the cassette that came with my reissue of the Smashing Pumpkins' Pisces Iscariot...
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 11:38 am

This matters not to me. I don't have a working cassette player and don't plan on getting one anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 4:05 pm

Cassettes were good for mix tapes, but I wouldn't buy an album on cassette.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Cassettes are cool but don't last long, especially if played often.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 4:12 pm

The thing that made cassettes special was that they were portable, you could dance or jog with them and they would not skip, and you could create your own mix tapes. Even when CDs became the standard format, they skipped and not a lot of people had CD burners back in the day. Plus, with a cassette deck, you could create mix tapes from vinyl, CDs, other cassettes, radio, etc.

Now with mp3s and ipods, all those benefits of cassettes are no longer exclusive to cassettes, so I don't see why they would make a comeback. I'd only buy a cassette if it was a rare album and that was the only format I could find or it was a lot less expensive.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 4:19 pm

I had cassettes but once in awhile I would see them dirt cheap and could not resist buying them, I have a Trouble self titled album in that format, but like you all said a niche market
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 4:25 pm

Worst. Format. EVER.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 4:39 pm

There's a sucker (moron) born every minute.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 5:33 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I have purchased several new cassettes in the past year or so - purely for the sake of novelty.  That format sucked back in the day and it sucks now.  
Same here. They're mostly nostalgia/collector buys.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 7:10 pm

I noticed that the death metal band Gruesome released their debut album on cassette. Even the CD printing looks like the type of printing CDs had in the late 1980s.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 8:26 pm

I probably have the majority of my collection on cassette, and while i'll still buy them if i see them at thrift stores or yard sales or flea markets, im (very slowly) starting to upgrade to mp3 or at least cd. Another thing that made cassettes cool (and im including 8-tracks in this discussion here too) is that you could buy a new album on that format and put it in your car (or if you were walking, a walkman) and listen to it before getting home, something that could obviously never be done with vinyl, where you had to wait until you got home to listen (and if you bought it while on vacation, the wait was even longer).
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:55 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
The thing that made cassettes special was that they were portable, you could dance or jog with them and they would not skip, and you could create your own mix tapes. Even when CDs became the standard format, they skipped and not a lot of people had CD burners back in the day. Plus, with a cassette deck, you could create mix tapes from vinyl, CDs, other cassettes, radio, etc.

Now with mp3s and ipods, all those benefits of cassettes are no longer exclusive to cassettes, so I don't see why they would make a comeback. I'd only buy a cassette if it was a rare album and that was the only format I could find or it was a lot less expensive.

Very well said!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:59 pm

S.D. wrote:
There's a sucker (moron) born every minute.

I agree but mostly these cassette tapes come with FLAC downloads and are only a buck or two more than a simple download. It's just a fad but I've bought a few as a collector.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 11:44 pm

Several years ago I was tempted by a then-complete collection of Iron Maiden studio albums on cassette (unused), but I opted not to get it. I might regret it at some point though. It's not like I would ever play them. But that would seem like something a collector might want to have...
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 12:20 am

Lari wrote:
Several years ago I was tempted by a then-complete collection of Iron Maiden studio albums on cassette (unused), but I opted not to get it. I might regret it at some point though. It's not like I would ever play them. But that would seem like something a collector might want to have...

Don't regret it. I had every Maiden album on cassette from their debut (including live albums) through Somewhere In Time. When I was converting cassettes to mp3s during my big culling out period, I thought I'd convert the Maiden cassettes over the vinyl ones I had so I wouldn't get pops and scratches. I converted lots of cassettes, but the Maiden ones never played right. All of them were shot. I didn't have Maiden Japan or Live After Death on vinyl, so I was pretty bummed. I don't know what was different about their cassettes, but the quality was crap.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 7:58 am

What about this? Cheap Trick on 8 track for only $30! Vinyl version is $20!

Cassettes may be making a comeback Trick04rv3_8-tra_103521gm-b

Or Tesla?

Cassettes may be making a comeback Teslareel1frnt

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 9:30 am

I say this every time cassettes come up, but I never stopped liking them.

Some genres feel right on cassette to me. I probably wouldn't buy Feist, She & Him or Sleigh Bells on cassette, but I like thrash and glam metal on cassette.

Also, demos should always be on cassette. In the early 2000s hardcore bands started doing demos on CDR and then later just as downloads. It irked me so much. I collected hardcore/punk demo tapes more than I did vinyl, and I never liked getting them on CD (though I did because I wanted the music).

It makes me happy that hardcore bands now often release their demos on cassette again, at least in limited runs, and then provide a download with it too. I can listen to the tape at home and the MP3s in my car.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 9:35 am

I really like this but I have no interest in picking it up on cassette. Would not mind to have it on CD

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 9:36 am

Required Fields wrote:
I noticed that the death metal band Gruesome released their debut album on cassette.

Man, I did not know about this and now I want it! Discogs says it's limited (none for sale)...not on Amazon, eBay or in the Relapse store. Damn.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 10:53 am

mikeinfla wrote:
What about this? Cheap Trick on 8 track for only $30! Vinyl version is $20!

Cassettes may be making a comeback Trick04rv3_8-tra_103521gm-b

Or Tesla?

Cassettes may be making a comeback Teslareel1frnt

Good god ! Who even has an 8 track player anymore ?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 10:57 am

^^ I remember reading that when Cheap Trick wanted to release that album on 8-track, they had a hell of a time even finding a duplicator/manufacturer that had the equipment to make 8-tracks anymore! Haha.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes may be making a comeback   Cassettes may be making a comeback Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cassettes may be making a comeback
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next