Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

COMP SWAP 2014

Go down 
+20
Fat Freddy
exact33
SideShowDisaSter
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
Thrasher73
DallasBlack
glassprison
thejokeriv
Citanul
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
corplhicks
Runicen
BearOnUnicycle
ZombieHavoc
Short-Fuse
choosemetal
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 2:15 pm

I'm doing a sweet Boz Scaggs collection for Stender. Best compswap ever!
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 3:01 pm

I finished both discs for Toho earlier this week. I've been sitting on my hands trying to come up with jewel case artwork so I can ship them in something reasonably durable (and because who wants to look over a sheet printed with track listings?). Hoping to have that sorted out and shipped this weekend.

I have NO idea how this is going to go across. Disc one is "heavy" and disc two is "mellow," but I think I kind of missed the brief on the "mellow" disc. Ah well, listening through both, the sequencing and variety are at least spot on. I'm sure I'll be privy to some verbal abuse on the board if he hates everything. Laughing
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 4:02 pm

Don't worry about getting fancy with it Runicen.  I'm sure not.  In fact, my trial version of Word expired last week so I actually may end up writing the track listings by hand!  The music is the important thing.

Last edited by tohostudios on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Runicen wrote:
 Ah well, listening through both, the sequencing and variety are at least spot on.  I'm sure I'll be privy to some verbal abuse on the board if he hates everything.  Laughing

I've never received a comp swap disc where I've hated everything.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 5:15 pm

bgsully wrote:
This is my first swap. Not sure that I have anything that nobody's heard.......but it's still fun putting them togther.

I have had fun putting it together. I'm looking forward to hear yours

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 5:17 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I feel like I don't listen to enough unknown bands anymore plus I feel like I'm always picking the same songs or same bands I did on previous swaps. I guess doesn't matter since they are different people each time but still I think I really fell behind a lot in the last year or so.

I made a conscious effort this time to NOT pick the same bands I always pick for these things.  No Dark At Dawn, Kiuas, Sentenced or KMFDM this time.  As you say, it doesn't really matter to the recipient but it gets boring for me.

Yea I'm trying to do the same as well. Some things I don't know well enough to pick over something I know I good.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 5:24 pm

I think there are only 1 or 2 songs across the 2 discs that I've sent before. The other thing I noticed is that this time probably about 80% of the songs were from albums I downloaded from Amazon. I hardly ever buy physical discs anymore because the download is just a helluva lot cheaper and you get it right away.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 5:37 pm

affraid DOWNLOADS?????!!!!!!! lol!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 8:04 pm

Finished Runicen's second disc today. It's a little more diverse than the first one but still not really what I intended when I started out. I think one reason I like the CD format over the digital format is that you're restricted by the time available on the CD. That's probably a good thing because otherwise I'd likely end up recording 4+ hours of stuff and who has the time to listen to that much new stuff? Confining your selections to 80 minutes per CD forces you to pick what you really think is the best of stuff you want to expose other HoM members to and I think that's a good idea.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 8:44 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I'm doing a sweet Boz Scaggs collection for Stender. Best compswap ever!

Hahaha..you'd be surprised at what exactly I can get down with. Very Happy

Started Corphicks disc yesterday, hopefully I have enough space for everything! Good mix of new 90s hardcore d beat bands with a thrash edge as well as some less recent thrash/crossover stuff to keep things oldschool. I knew I wanted to put a 'certain' track by a 'certain' band on the mix but realized I don't have the mp3 no longer..which sucks. However I ended up buying the reissues of both the particular album the song is from and the followup just so I could finish the mix the way I wanted to. Quite possibly one of the most anal things I have done for a comp swap..haha! Also a really good excuse to buy reissues. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 8:45 pm

has anyone used these cds? http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Digital-Multicolor-Spindle-94488/dp/B00009WO51 I bought a 10 pack today at wal mart. It was all they had so I didnt have a choice. My problem with them is every time I try to make a cd it doesnt work. It goes threw the process and even finishes but when I go back to listen, the cd is blank. I went threw 5 of these and tried 2 different computers with the same results. Never ran into this problem.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 10:10 pm

has anyone used these cds? http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Digital-Multicolor-Spindle-94488/dp/B00009WO51 I bought a 10 pack today at wal mart. It was all they had so I didnt have a choice.

From my time at Amazon, the only CD-Rs I ever pick are Verbatim. Wondering if maybe they are the only game in town these days.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 10:44 am

DallasBlack wrote:
has anyone used these cds? http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Digital-Multicolor-Spindle-94488/dp/B00009WO51 I bought a 10 pack today at wal mart. It was all they had so I didnt have a choice.

From my time at Amazon, the only CD-Rs I ever pick are Verbatim. Wondering if maybe they are the only game in town these days.

I usually buy paper (or plastic) sleeves instead of jewel cases from a  dollar store for copying,
and spindles of blank discs by the 50's (approx $16) or 100 (approx $24 - $30) at any computer store as it is the least expensive way.

Had success using various brands -
Verbatim, RiDATA, Philips, Maxell, JVC (Taiyo Yuden) Valueline, TDK, HP.

Never yet tried the multi-color, just usually find the blank faced (silver or black) discs.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 1:35 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

No theres still Sony and Maxell the usuals. I remember having another issue with I believe it was Maxell, Where I bought one of those 50 cd spindles and a bunch of them wouldn't work at all. I've used these Verbatim ones before and never had a problem. I thought they look really cool so why not grab some. I needed them anyway, but now that I already used 5 of these and none of them worked there must be some kind of stupid trick to get them to record.

Just for the hell of it this morning before I left for work I took another look in my cd pile and sure enough there was the blank cds I knew I had I just couldn't find them. Hopefully they are all blank. Some reason I never write on the cds lol.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 10:27 pm

I made UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS's comp this evening; I'll mail it within the next few days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 10:20 am

I sent UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS's comp in the mail this morning; I hope he likes it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 12:26 pm

Sully and I have both sent out our cds. Interested in hearing the cds this year. The last few years have been tough lol

The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 11:38 pm

Finished Corplhicks comp today, in the mail tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 12:06 am

Stender wrote:

Dude you're fast! I only just got your playlist done. Gonna throw some favorite proto-metal on there along with the prog, and a couple modern numbers. Trying to make it transcendent as possible. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 1:10 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Stender wrote:

Dude you're fast! I only just got your playlist done. Gonna throw some favorite proto-metal on there along with the prog, and a couple modern numbers. Trying to make it transcendent as possible. Very Happy

Haha! Shit I thought I was behind so I tried to really jam on it yesterday!
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 8:28 am

Sully and I have both sent out our cds. Interested in hearing the cds this year. The last few years have been tough lol

I'm stalking the mail man.......**looks through binoculars** ...."does he have the package today?!" .......Argh!!!!!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Hahahaha yea whats taking those stupid mailmen so long? Is it coming by horse and buggy??? haha

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Mailed Runicen's 2 discs today.

The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Hahahaha yea whats taking those stupid mailmen so long? Is it coming by horse and buggy??? haha

Ladies and Gentlemen you may encounter crazed metalheads that will bum rush you at any given time along your route for the next week, proceed with caution. There is a comp swap going down.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 8:24 pm

lol!

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COMP SWAP 2014
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next