Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

COMP SWAP 2014

Go down 
+20
Fat Freddy
exact33
SideShowDisaSter
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
Thrasher73
DallasBlack
glassprison
thejokeriv
Citanul
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
corplhicks
Runicen
BearOnUnicycle
ZombieHavoc
Short-Fuse
choosemetal
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 2:43 pm

exact33 wrote:
i am game again. I am not sure I can top last year's comp where i took each Killen track and renamed it something else Smile

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 9:06 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
So DB - get a mod to sticky this and take over.

I'll get to it Wednesday, my day off Wink.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 9:09 am

I'd prefer to swap physical discs. I just can't hang with trying to swap digitally.

And I will likely make discs primarily of garage/psych/punk/glam and proto- of all those genres. That's mostly what I've been listening to lately.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 9:41 am

Quote :
I nominate Fat Freddy!

Can't. I am currently computer-less at the moment and don't have the time or the $$ to repair/replace it right now, so all of my Net doings are being conducted via my cell phone...

...besides, I never participate in these things anyway, cuz I'm anti-social....

Quote :
So DB - get a mod to sticky this

Done and done.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Gotta admit, I'm pretty stoked for this.

tohostudios wrote:
I guess I'd be in too if I get hooked up with a relative "newbie"; someone who hasn't already heard all of the "usual Toho crap".

And I have the same caveats as Runicon (one slightly altered):

1.) I'd prefer to swap physical discs rather than zipped files or whatever.
2.) My comps WILL be "hard rock plus metal" because I don't think I listen to enough DIFFERENT metal bands to fill a comp properly with that genre alone.

I think Runicon and I might be a good pairing actually (hint, hint)

Dare I ask what the "usual Toho crap" is?

I'm all for it if we end up paired up regardless. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:25 pm

I'm in. Hard copy please.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Here's what I got so far:

Runicen
Toho
Saxon
Zombie Havok
Exact
BearOnUnicycle
corplhicks
scottmitchell
Short-fuse
Citanul
glassprison
Required Fields
PRD
DallasBlack

I will leave the invite up for another week.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 10:00 pm

I want in! and yes drummer boy I WILL actually send cds this time.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 10:02 pm

LOL! I don't care just as long as I'm not paired with you

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 10:04 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
LOL! I don't care just as long as I'm not paired with you

Well fine then! Yer missing out on hearing about my recent spice girls obession though.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Runicen wrote:

tohostudios wrote:
I guess I'd be in too if I get hooked up with a relative "newbie"; someone who hasn't already heard all of the "usual Toho crap".

2.) My comps WILL be "hard rock plus metal" because I don't think I listen to enough DIFFERENT metal bands to fill a comp properly with that genre alone.

The "usual Toho crap" is generally a healthy dose of sleaze rock/metal like Hardcore Superstar, Distorted Wonderland, Bombay Black, etc (the usual bands I carp about in the Now Playing thread) coupled with some off the wall stuff like Alabama 3, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Sonia Dada or Mighty Mighty Bosstones.  So basically not a lot of "metal" per se (although I think I might have some surprises this time); more an assortment of "hard music".   And no growling, screaming or yelping....at least not for an entire song.

But I like a lot of styles; from ska to industrial metal so if we get paired up, just let me know what you absolutely hate and I'll try to avoid that.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 11:13 am

I'm digital, as the last thing you want to mess with is Russian postal service.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 12:43 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Runicen wrote:

tohostudios wrote:

The "usual Toho crap" is generally a healthy dose of sleaze rock/metal like Hardcore Superstar, Distorted Wonderland, Bombay Black, etc (the usual bands I carp about in the Now Playing thread) coupled with some off the wall stuff like Alabama 3, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Sonia Dada or Mighty Mighty Bosstones.  So basically not a lot of "metal" per se (although I think I might have some surprises this time); more an assortment of "hard music".   And no growling, screaming or yelping....at least not for an entire song.

But I like a lot of styles; from ska to industrial metal so if we get paired up, just let me know what you absolutely hate and I'll try to avoid that.

send toho lots of journey and phil collins Smile

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 7:33 pm

exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Runicen wrote:

tohostudios wrote:

And Dave Matthews Band; I LOVE Dave Matthews Band. sick

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 10:47 am

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
And Dave Matthews Band; I LOVE Dave Matthews Band.   sick

Incidentally, the most boring concert I've ever seen in my life. Living proof that you'd probably have to be stoned to enjoy their music. I'm into improvisational music, but improv does NOT consist of 8 people taking 4 solos each to stretch out a 3.5 minute song to 20 minutes. angry

If we get paired, it may be easier for us to figure out what bands we already have a ton of, so I don't end up going, "Oh, I've got a band for you," only for you to go, "Yeah, I've got their entire discography and their drummer crashing on my couch already." Laughing
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Runicen wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
And Dave Matthews Band; I LOVE Dave Matthews Band.   sick

Incidentally, the most boring concert I've ever seen in my life.  Living proof that you'd probably have to be stoned to enjoy their music.  I'm into improvisational music, but improv does NOT consist of 8 people taking 4 solos each to stretch out a 3.5 minute song to 20 minutes.  angry

I've always said that the guys in that band are excellent musicians but as your concert experience proves, musicianship alone does not necessarily equate to an enjoyable listening experience. And I find that guy's vocals to be some of the most annoying around.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 10:51 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

Runicen
Toho
Saxon
Stender
Exact
BearOnUnicycle
corplhicks
scottmitchell
Short-fuse
Citanul
glassprison
Required Fields
PRD
DallasBlack

Stender is now in and Zombie Havok is out. So we are still even.

Last edited by DallasBlack on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 10:08 am

tohostudios wrote:
I've always said that the guys in that band are excellent musicians but as your concert experience proves, musicianship alone does not necessarily equate to an enjoyable listening experience.  And I find that guy's vocals to be some of the most annoying around.  

Gets better too. His speaking voice was this incoherent baritone growl, so he would be introducting songs and it would just sound like:

"Thankyou. HRshghrrhghshghrhgh. Brrrghnshghsnsl. GRRRRRghsjrldighsldsh."

At one point, one of the fine, upstanding stoners who was next to my group yelled, "You could have just told us we suck ass, but WOO!"

That seems to about sum up the experience, which is kind of a shame because the studio tracks aren't all bad. I still like some of them. Live though... I think I'd rather accept an unarmed covert mission to North Korea with a full body american flag tattoo.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 11:34 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Runicen
Toho
Saxon
Stender
Exact
BearOnUnicycle
corplhicks
Short-fuse
Citanul
glassprison
Required Fields
PRD
DallasBlack

Well, Scott has bowed out so we are now at an odd number. If nobody else signs up, someone will have to do two. I might assign myself as I love doing these.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 7:58 am

If we end up needing extra coverage, I wouldn't mind doing two just so long as the recipient doesn't mind CD-Rs rather than downloads.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm in for hard copy.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 2:51 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Runicen
Toho
Saxon
Stender
Exact
BearOnUnicycle
corplhicks
Short-fuse
Citanul
glassprison
Required Fields
PRD
DallasBlack
bgsully

Well, Scott has bowed out so we are now at an odd number. If nobody else signs up, someone will have to do two. I might assign myself as I love doing these.

Updated with bgsully. We are back on even ground. I will probably start working on pairings Friday night.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 1:10 am

I will get to the pairings tomorrow (Saturday). I was going to today but tomorrow I was set to get a new vehicle but my credit score is not good. I've been working on research to see what my options will be. I will get to it though.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Alright, I have the finalized pairings. I wanted to pair veteran members (more than two years) with newer guys (less than two years). It would have worked if everyone went for the same media. I had to pair the two digital guys which happen to be newer guys. This leaves two veterans paired together. However, with a search through the archives these two have never swapped before despite both participating in several of these. They are the first in the list. The last on the list (in red) are the digital jerks who ruined my plans ( just kidding ):

Required Fields- Saxon
Runicen- Toho
Stender-corplhicks
Short-fuse- Exact
DallasBlack- glassprison
bgsully- PRD
BearOnUnicycle- Citanul
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 12:11 am

Thanks for doing this DB. And congratulations on your new car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP 2014   COMP SWAP 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COMP SWAP 2014
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next