Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slipknot

Go down 
+24
Required Fields
James B.
SideShowDisaSter
Hadley
Icy Grave
mlotek
Lari
Fat Freddy
DakotaRogers
Boris2008
thejokeriv
Thrasher73
MetalRob331
Thelemech
mr.electric39
corplhicks
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
Mglaffas81
manny
Gilbert
mc666
Eyesore
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:02 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Sounds like a mediocre Cryptic Slaughter knock off to me. How do you guys measure "musical merit" exactly?
I'm not saying that the original Slipknot broke new grounds or inspired a plethora of bands, but I've had a better time listening to them than the nu metal/hard rock band of the same name.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Holy s***. I'll take a Cryptic Slaughter clone over angsty Hot Topic anthems anyday.
Back to top Go down

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:06 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
Holy s***. I'll take a Cryptic Slaughter clone over angsty Hot Topic anthems anyday.
You're trying too hard to be sarcastic. I'd kindly advise you to think of a funnier retort, or just stop replying altogether.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:13 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:

I don't like Slipknot much either, it's not my thing but they do have talent and that to me = musical merit, whether it's to my taste or not.
Back to top Go down

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:17 pm

A band with talented musicians doesn't necessarily make for unique or quality songwriting. I say the same thing about Dream Theater.

It doesn't matter how fast you can play the bass drums, how high or low you can scream, or how many notes you can shred per minute.

The only people who think otherwise are idiots and other hacks that you'll meet at your local Guitar Center. Instead of putting the time and energy into writing a memorable riff, most of them only care about gear.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:25 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
DakotaRogers wrote:

I don't like Slipknot much either, it's not my thing but they do have talent and that to me = musical merit, whether it's to my taste or not.

All "no musical merit" means is that the person saying/writing so and so has "no musical merit" doesn't like that band/artist and is using the term as a way to put down the band.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:26 pm

Painkiller wrote:
A band with talented musicians doesn't necessarily make for unique or quality songwriting. I say the same thing about Dream Theater.

It doesn't matter how fast you can play the bass drums, how high or low you can scream, or how many notes you can shred per minute.

The only people who think otherwise are idiots and other hacks that you'll meet at your local Guitar Center. Instead of putting the time and energy into writing a memorable riff, most of them only care about
gear.

I agree with you, but you didn't say quality songwriting, you said musical merit. By your definition I'll assume that you mean artistic merit, which is an entirely subjective thing and the only people who think otherwise are arrogant pretentious elitists who place way too much stock in their own opinions.

Going back to the Slipknot tune. What part of the songwriting did you find to be unique?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:29 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
DakotaRogers wrote:

All "no musical merit" means is that the person saying/writing so and so has "no musical merit" doesn't like that band/artist and is using the term as a way to put down the band.

Wouldn't it be quicker to just say they suck! lol!
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:29 pm

Painkiller wrote:
You're trying too hard to be sarcastic.

No. I wrote that from the heart. Neutral
Back to top Go down

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:38 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Going back to the Slipknot tune. What part of the songwriting did you find to be unique?
Like I said, they didn't create metal history, but they played some terribly catchy hardcore punk. I especially dig the rage-filled bite of "Hate in Blue", which has the kind of riffs that could've fit Sadus' first album quite nicely. "World Leader" is a thrashy song with some great grooves near the end. I wish "Some Friend" could've been on the original EP, because it's kinda doomy.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:42 pm

Painkiller wrote:
DakotaRogers wrote:

You're trying too hard to be sarcastic. I'd kindly advise you to think of a funnier retort, or just stop replying altogether.

Pretty sure he was agreeing with you, you dope.
Back to top Go down

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Pretty sure he was agreeing with you, you dope.
In that case, he should've worded it better than this:
DakotaRogers wrote:
There's more musical merit in that one crossover EP than the mallcore Slipknot has displayed in 5 albums spanning 15 years.
Whenever I read these kinds of arguments online, I've already concluded that the person I'm discussing music with is using sales figures and other measures of popularity to attempt to justify their band's merit.

You dope.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 3:10 pm

Sales figures are as good as any other way of judging musical merit. It means that lots of people like the record enough to pay money for it. Originality is another, records that literally redefine the scene and musical ability does sometimes come into that. Megadeth did something completely original with their first record that wouldn't have been possible without mad ability. Great songwriting is another, great band chemistry is another.

What I find difficult to accept is when people pluck the term musical merit out of nowhere and apply it to their opinions for no other reason than it's their opinion, particularly with a record that fails to meet any of the above criteria.
Back to top Go down

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 3:21 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Sales figures are as good as any other way of judging musical merit. It means that lots of people like the record enough to pay money for it.
A lot of people mostly buy into whatever that gets hyped up, anyway, so you shouldn't pay attention to them.

If that's the case, then people like Madonna, Rihanna, and Britney Spears are some of the greatest music artists to ever live. Whether or not you like them isn't the case, but my point is that using sales figures in a heated discussion about music is a very poor argument. That's MTV/VH1 Classic mentality, dude.

Many popular musicians aren't nearly as talented as the rest in performing or writing diverse songs, but they're still making more money than hard-working bands like Manilla Road or Riot.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Hey, Painkiller is back.
Back to top Go down

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 4:34 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Hey, Painkiller is back.
How much for the parrot?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 4:57 pm

One cracker is enough, thank you.

Anyway Dakota, Slipknot isn't mallcore (still unsure what that means), and if Hot Topic bands are bad, then we may as well lump Slayer, Iron Maiden, and Motorhead in there, since their merch has always been a hot item there.

Slipknot is an alternative metal band, nothing more. And they have a diverse amount of creatively crafted numbers that transcend the typical teenage angst found in most "nu" metal bands.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 5:03 pm

Are Hot Topic stores even still a thing? For a while it seemed like labeling a band as "Hot Topic metal" was just about the worst insult you could hurl at them, but I haven't heard that one in quite a few years now.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 5:13 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Slipknot isn't mallcore (still unsure what that means)

I thought mallcore was exactly what Slipknot is. Probably the band that most defines the term.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mallcore

It's just another tag, and doesn't say anything about the quality of the music.

That's all I really have to say, because I don't want to be a hater.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 5:15 pm

This thread became super funny!
Back to top Go down

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Nu metal is actually good for comedic value! Gotta love the redneck "chugga-lugga-da-chugga-pa-chug-chug" breakdowns that come along.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Muahahaha
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 5:49 pm

So is it hot topic or redneck music now? And could we get a count of all the users here that both enjoy breakdowns and are in fact fitting to a redneck lifestyle?
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 5:56 pm

Its Hot Topic music for Rednecks.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slipknot
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next