Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?

Go down 
+35
tohostudios
iamrockerfun
mikeinfla
80s Metal Lady
thejokeriv
deathisgain
bgsully
Short-Fuse
Troublezone
Thrasher73
Boris2008
scottmitchell74
mr.electric39
exact33
Hadley
glassprison
mc666
Lari
MetallicSeminarian
Required Fields
ZombieHavoc
Fat Freddy
manny
ultmetal
Shawn Of Fire
Lovecraft
James B.
Lurideath
TrogDawn
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Runicen
A Handful of Wayne
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 3:24 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I also kind of shy away from bands with ridiculously misogynistic album covers these days, or things that just too much glorify violence towards women. Bugs me that people seem okay with that stuff, but whatever. Their money and ears. There was that one band recently, damn I can't remember the name, their album cover was just like a girl's head with a dude holding a knife to her throat.

Inveracity?
Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 34763
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 3:45 pm

Required Fields wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
I also kind of shy away from bands with ridiculously misogynistic album covers these days, or things that just too much glorify violence towards women. Bugs me that people seem okay with that stuff, but whatever. Their money and ears. There was that one band recently, damn I can't remember the name, their album cover was just like a girl's head with a dude holding a knife to her throat.

Inveracity?
Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 34763

Oddly, no. Which bums me out. Ha. I've never seen that cover before.

I just dug around a tiny bit and found it. I remember it was on Slaney. The band is Destroyer, and "Slashing Metal" is the album.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 4:02 pm

There are plenty of bands I won't support on moral grounds, but it's usually an issue of their lyrics rather than their personal lives.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 4:35 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
There are plenty of bands I won't support on moral grounds, but it's usually an issue of their lyrics rather than their personal lives.

Not trying to start an argument, but that sounds completely backwards to me.
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 4:51 pm

I wouldn't buy nazi metal/punk or some such albums. Not that I'm tempted. I couldn't even imagine listening to stuff like that.

Same probably goes for other dangerous and creepy politically or ideologically driven bands and 'artists'. Be it communist, racist, terrorist, dentist...
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 5:39 pm

I own some downright despicable stuff. I don't even think about it.

glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Quote :
I own some downright despicable stuff. I don't even think about it.

That's the spirit  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 6:22 pm

TrogDawn wrote:

Their personal lives don't go rattling around in my head all day. Their lyrics do.

Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 6:45 pm

The only bands i dont support for moral reasons are racist bands or satanic/anti-Christian bands (and by that i mean where all or most of their lyrics are in that vein, not talking about the likes of slayer here). There are songs that i find objectionable (ie, gnr's one in a million, sabbath's sweet leaf), but i just skip over those songs as opposed to not supporting the entire bands catalog just because of one song (that said, i can understand people who do).
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Sweet Leaf is objectionable?  Not where/when I grew up, it was practically our national anthem!

Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 7:13 pm

^
Maybe not "objectionable", i just dont like pro-drug songs

Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 7:24 pm

TrogDawn wrote:

Their personal lives don't go rattling around in my head all day. Their lyrics do.

Ok, I see your point when you put it that way.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Hadley wrote:
^Maybe not "objectionable", i just dont like pro-drug songs

And as I read this, "Junkhead" by Alice in Chains is playing on my iPod  lol! 

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 7:34 pm

I generally don't care all the much unless the artist is really annoying - like Springsteen. I agree with some lyrics and disagree with others. I do not care for Warrior Soul's lyrics but they make great music.

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 9:37 pm

Runicen wrote:
I own Burzum albums.  I mean, if I can reasonably throw ANY kind of support to Varg with his viewpoints (which, arguably are at least less venomous than others who espouse the same views), there ain't much coming out of the states save for that creepy baby rapist from the band whose name is lost to memory because I don't care to remember it that would cause me to not support or stop supporting a musician.

That would be Lostprophets, who were Welsh, not American. They were a terrible band, though, regardless.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 10:31 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
David Benson is someone I will no longer support due to the way he hires musicians to play on his albums and then stiffs them what he owes them after the recording is done.  (Victor Griffin, Dan Lively and Russell Lee have STILL not been paid for their studio time on the Evil Killer album). His output is also substandard both musically and in the actual quality of the merchandise...if you ever receive what you order from him, that is. Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 352445

+1.....

Not for the reasons above (which suck in and of themselves) but because of my own personal interaction with him on a professional level....

pathetic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 10:35 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:

I also kind of shy away from bands with ridiculously misogynistic album covers these days, or things that just too much glorify violence towards women. Bugs me that people seem okay with that stuff, but whatever. Their money and ears. There was that one band recently, damn I can't remember the name, their album cover was just like a girl's head with a dude holding a knife to her throat. Yeah, not into that, no matter how killer the music might sound.

Bottom line is, for me, there are a ton of killer bands and records out there. So many that it is easy as hell to ignore/not support/actively boycott the ones who strike me the way the above artists do.

This.....

Thinking about this .... this goes beyond "HEY Baby over here...."....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 11:27 pm

TrogDawn wrote:

That's not backwards to me. I agree with him. I can ignore the person's beliefs, but the lyrics will be heard over and over and over. That seeps into a person.

My Dad does this with stores, States,teams, whatever. If a place or business bothers him he won't support/buy/go, even if that hurts him in some way. I maintain that one can end up painting oneself into a corner with this kind of behavior. If you go far enough up the line with stores, products, teams, etc...someone somewhere along the line does something that doesn't jibe with your beliefs. You can run out of places to go/things to do/music to listen to pretty quickly. If I boycotted every product that had pro-choice employees on the payroll (from the owner on down), who knows how many things I would eliminate from my life. It's a dangerous, slippery slope to live like that.

So, that's why it's the actual message/lyrics -vs- the person's lifestyle that matter to me with music.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 12:22 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Ted Nugent is the only artist I can think that I don't support based solely on stuff he says outside of his music (fortunately, it's not hard, as I was never that into him to begin with).

There are some artists I won't support because of their actual lyrical content. Some times it bums me out, like At War and Carnivore (songs like "Rapechase" by the former and "Predator" by the latter just really turn me off from what are musically two excellent bands).

One thing that kind of hurts, though, is MOD/SOD...In my adulthood, I just can't really take the joke any more. I could probably take most of it, but if you're dropping the N word, I'm out. I used to number both bands at the top of my favorites. I will listen to Surfin' MOD some times though...for whatever reason they decided to do the most un-controversial record ever.

I also kind of shy away from bands with ridiculously misogynistic album covers these days, or things that just too much glorify violence towards women. Bugs me that people seem okay with that stuff, but whatever. Their money and ears. There was that one band recently, damn I can't remember the name, their album cover was just like a girl's head with a dude holding a knife to her throat. Yeah, not into that, no matter how killer the music might sound.

Bottom line is, for me, there are a ton of killer bands and records out there. So many that it is easy as hell to ignore/not support/actively boycott the ones who strike me the way the above artists do.

This is pretty much me too. Word for word.

Burzum is a weird one for me as he doesn't really bring his 'beliefs' into his music but I really don't want to give Varg money because of his habit of buying guns with it.  affraid 
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 2:09 am

It's just music,a form of entertainment.I listen to a lot of different stuff and try not to dwell on what someone might have said or taken out of context.

Same with actors,I still like George Clooney and enjoy his movies even though he's a liberal.Same goes with a lot of others.If everyone on this planet had the same viewpoints and beliefs it would be a pretty dull place I think.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 3:56 am

Kerry King has said some ignorant comments and tends to write irritating lyrics, but at the end of the day, I'm still a Slayer fan. Same with Phil Anselmo.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 4:02 am

For me personally,  I tend to be more offended by the outspoken liberal artists. Eddie Vedder and Tom Morello tend to get on my nerves, but l can't say I've ever been a fan of either of their bands (aside from a couple songs).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 8:01 am

Troublezone wrote:
For me personally,  I tend to be more offended by the outspoken liberal artists. Eddie Vedder and Tom Morello tend to get on my nerves, but l can't say I've ever been a fan of either of their bands (aside from a couple songs).

Thank God I am no longer in a band, my liberal viewpoints would win few fans or friends here!!!
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 8:07 am

Cynic-for the obvious reasons///go ahead and hate me......
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 8:20 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:

That's not backwards to me. I agree with him. I can ignore the person's beliefs, but the lyrics will be heard over and over and over. That seeps into a person.

My Dad does this with stores, States,teams, whatever. If a place or business bothers him he won't support/buy/go, even if that hurts him in some way. I maintain that one can end up painting oneself into a corner with this kind of behavior. If you go far enough up the line with stores, products, teams, etc...someone somewhere along the line does something that doesn't jibe with your beliefs. You can run out of places to go/things to do/music to listen to pretty quickly. If I boycotted every product that had pro-choice employees on the payroll (from the owner on down), who knows how many things I would eliminate from my life. It's a dangerous, slippery slope to live like that.

So, that's why it's the actual message/lyrics -vs- the person's lifestyle that matter to me with music.

Ditto
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?   Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Refuse to support and artist/band because for moral reasons?
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next