Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?

Go down 
+40
stepcousin
DallasBlack
brokentulsa
krokus
Addy
Citanul
80s Metal Lady
tohostudios
James B.
Hadley
jstate
metalinmyveins
BearOnUnicycle
Thrasher73
Vexer6
journeyman
TheGreatDuck
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
glassprison
nevermore
mc666
snooloui
Gilbert
Orion Crystal Ice
Required Fields
DakotaRogers
MetallicSeminarian
Boris2008
Witchfinder
MetalRob331
iamrockerfun
thejokeriv
MoonChild
ZombieHavoc
manny
corplhicks
ultmetal
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 9:39 am

Hey, I did a good job of staying out of it this time. Usually I jump head long into the "what is and what isn't metal" discussions. I am darned proud of myself.  Razz 

In my initial post, I didn't even make mention that these were the worst "metal" albums, I just said "Ten Worst Albums of the 80's." It didn't even cross my mind that some of this stuff isn't metal by some people's standards. I was just glad someone agreed with me that Hysteria is utter garbage. Haha!

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 9:51 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Erm, not wanting to defend Duckface or whatever his name is cause he's coming off like a douche. But I've got pretty strong opinions about the music of the 60's, based on the fact that they were kind enough to record it for me and save it till I was old enough to hear it.

I think that I'm a prime example of the fact that being around in the 80's does not mean that I'm going to have the same opinion as you guys because like Count Duckula, I'm European and the one thing that I am absolutely sure of is that Europeans had a slightly different take on this metal thing.

Band after band that we loved followed the same script. Euro band comes along, kicks ass, gets popular in Europe, record label wants to push them in the biggest territory in the world for rock music, America, tells them that in order to break a huge territory like the states they NEED radio play, bring in American producer to help them get the big radio hit, big shot producer convinces them that they have to change their style as this will lead to more money, girls and cocaine, new Americanised album is hated amongst metalheads this side of the Atlantic, band doesn't care as they have now sold 200 squillion copies of the new record and are busy flying around in their solid gold rocket cars. Either that or despite best efforts America didn't get it and they come back to Europe and claim unemployment as even Euro fans hate them now. (Hey Raven!) Only Maiden & Motorhead wouldn't play this game and are considered proper metal as a result. Some bands made the big push for $$$ with alarming regularity but were so great that they just about got away with it (Priest & Rainbow spring to mind) while others lost a huge portion of their fanbase in Europe, none more so than Def Leppard (Saxon deserve a mention too though), I don't know how many copies of Pyromania they sold in the U.K but I would guess that it was less than High & Dry. Hysteria was a huge album over here but with a very different fanbase.

To me and the people that I hung around with, the big push for the American market was the death of many a band and a lot of those records bore no relation to what we grew up on as metal (Sabbath, Priest (pre Screaming) Maiden, Motorhead, Venom, Girlschool, AC/DC, Angel Witch, Accept, Scorpions, early Rainbow) so we didn't think of it as metal. A lot of my friends dug a lot of American stuff (Kiss, Van Halen, Aerosmith etc) but it was geared to American radio in a way that the stuff we loved wasn't, so we didn't see it as metal.

For all of the hate that they get now, the band that did more to change that mindset was Metallica, an American band who loved European metal music and were not the slightest bit interested in recording 'the big radio/MTV hit. Once they hit big, the script became redundant (at least until the Black Album).

So I can understand why you guys see a lot of records as metal when I just don't and I respect that as those records were aimed at you and publicised as metal, but over here we saw things a little differently.    

You made mention of Metallica and their love for European metal, but really Aerosmith were the same way. Their love was The Stones, Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, Marc Bolan, etc. That was their blueprint, so your point about them trying to get American radio hits isn't really valid. In fact, Aerosmith were considered the bastard child in the 70's. Songs like "Dream On" didn't really become radio hits until years after the albums were released. Ted Nugent was another American heavy rocker from the 70's who was hugely popular despite the lack of radio support or hit singles. In fact, his first hit single didn't happen until his third album and even it was considered "to heavy" for most radio stations. Even shows like Midnight Special wouldn't play stuff like Aerosmith, AC/DC, Kiss or Ted Nugent until the wee hours of the morning because it was considered "too heavy" for the mainstream audiences.

I also don't think that Van Halen was geared towards American radio. VH prospered and became popular at a time when heavy music was not popular in the U.S. and all the magazines and media were asking, "Can Heavy Metal Survive the 80's?" VH didn't really purposely gear themselves for radio until "1984" an garbage like "Jump". Besides, you are forgetting bands like Blue Cheer from the late 60's and The Rods and Riot who were around in the late 70's and were creating music that was decisively heavy metal for that time.

I don't really care what people label bands like Aerosmith, Nugent, Van Halen, Blue Cheer, Riot, etc. I just think it is a bit deceptive to make the claim that all the American bands were "geared to American radio".

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 11:12 am

Deceptive is a ridiculously strong word dude, for starters I was nine when the seventies ended and I haven't been to the U.S but that's what the records sound like to me, you have to remember that in the era I'm talking about (early/mid 80's) bands like Kiss, Van Halen etc, were going for the radio/MTV hits I'm glad that you don't care what i label them because to me they are not metal and geared towards the American hard rock market. All of the cooler seventies stuff I discovered later and I'll say that it was heavier and less geared to the mainstream, still not really my idea of metal, but to each his own (as I've said from the start of this thread)

I haven't forgotten Blue Cheer at all, they are not really from my era and as such were another band that I discovered much later, but since I have, I've lost count of the times I've said that in my opinion Vincebus Eruptum was the cornerstone of the whole genre, but at the time I'm talking about, I hadn't heard it. I have also never been shy about dishing out the praise for the likes of The Rods or Riot either, totally metal and part of any self respecting English metalheads collection, but they never got big enough to be the game changer that Metallica were. They were the band that in the 80's could be used as the example that you didn't have to water anything down (as so many bands had) to be popular.

I've got nothing against U.S bands and if you read my post it is from the perspective of a teenage me who only really knew of American rock music from what I was hearing at the time (early MTV era) and the way that great European bands were changing to embrace that market.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 11:49 am

The meaning of life = 42.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 11:52 am

There is no dark side of the moon really, as a matter of fact it's all dark.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Heavy Metal in the 80's became such a broad term that some journalist would try shoe horn bands such as Slade, New York Dolls, Iggy Pop and even Sex Pistols among others.

The term became vogue in the big 80's, but magazines like Kerrange and journalist like Malcolm Dome, Mick Wall and even that dickweed Dave Marsh labeled bands such as Aerosmith, Kiss, and AC/DC as heavy metal.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 1:18 pm

manny wrote:
Heavy Metal in the 80's became such a broad term that some journalist would try shoe horn bands such as Slade, New York Dolls, Iggy Pop and even Sex Pistols among others.

The term became vogue in the big 80's, but magazines like Kerrange and journalist like Malcolm Dome, Mick Wall and even that dickweed Dave Marsh labeled bands such as Aerosmith, Kiss, and AC/DC as heavy metal.

And the band had no issues with the label nor dressing the part - and it helped sell tons of records
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 1:19 pm

Yeah Kerrang! This was their favorite metal album of 1985

Thank God Metal Forces was around by then!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 4:27 pm

manny wrote:

But magazines from the 1970's were also calling them Heavy Metal. It wasn't just and 80's thing.

Awwww, see now I'm getting suck in.  cheers 

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 4:45 pm

As for AC/DC they cover everything that is "classic".
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Quote :
As I mentioned, in the 80's, every single one of those albums were consider to be metal albums.

Some of them yes but not all of them.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 6:12 pm

It went both ways, as punk magazines in the 70s covered AC/DC and Motorhead and considered them to be "punk".
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Hadley wrote:
It went both ways, as punk magazines in the 70s covered AC/DC and Motorhead and considered them to be "punk".

Quite true, both bands were based primarily in London in the late seventies and had pretty large punk followings too so the press lumped them in with that scene.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 7:16 pm

There are actually groups of Motorhead die-hards who consider the band to be a '50s-style rock'n'roll band closest in sound to Chuck Berry, and consider them being called metal a case of dumb metalheads lumping classic rock bands into metal in order to give metal credibility. Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 7:19 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
There are actually groups of Motorhead die-hards who consider the band to be a '50s-style rock'n'roll band closest in sound to Chuck Berry, and consider them being called metal a case of dumb metalheads lumping classic rock bands into metal in order to give metal credibility. Rolling Eyes 

I think you'll find one of those guys you're rolling your eyes at is Lemmy!  lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Motorhead has more in common with 50s rock than almost any other metal band.

Lemmy in the past described Motorhead as "Chuck Berry with a Marshall stack".
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 3:18 pm

I like all those albums to be honest, nothing bad about them, specialy the KISS lp, TURBO by JUDAS, THE FINAL COUNTDOWN by EUROPE (many cool songs on this one), and FREHLEYS COMET record are great.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 11:39 pm

I disagree with the list and I really like most everything on the list.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:25 am

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:41 am

Painkiller wrote:
No Vinnie Vincent Invasion or Stryper? This list is meaningless!
Love VVI, Stryper not so much, they're just too corny lyrically even for my tastes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:46 am

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:56 am

And Fear Not!

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 3:40 am

With the ones I heard I'd only say Turbo. It has some decent songs but compared with everyting JP did before...

However, I seem to love a lot of what people here hate (and recently have enjoyed music from a cartoon I won't mention so my opinion is probably invalid Very Happy). But I likes what I like and there is no shame in that (at least I still hate Buoyancé, Miley Sluttess, Justin Bleeper, and Wrong Direction).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 4:28 am

I haven't heard that Coven album in many many years but I don't remember it being that horrible. I bought it when it came out and liked it alot, although my best friend at the time didn't prefer it very much, and he was a stickler for talented technically capable thrash bands of that era. Maybe he knew something that I didn't, but I liked alot of thrash bands that didn't necessarily overflow with talent but had a cool vibe, like Nuclear Assault or D.R.I. or Coven.

as for the entire list, I like alot of 'em on there but don't regularly listen to about half of them.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 5:35 am

DallasBlack wrote:
With the ones I heard I'd only say Turbo. It has some decent songs but compared with everyting JP did before...

However, I seem to love a lot of what people here hate (and recently have enjoyed music from a cartoon I won't mention so my opinion is probably invalid Very Happy). But I likes what I like and there is no shame in that (at least I still hate Buoyancé, Miley Sluttess, Justin Bleeper, and Wrong Direction).
I acutally like Miley Cyrus and i'm not ashamed to admit, I don't totally hate beyonce, but do find her rather overrated.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?   Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ten Worst Albums of the 80's? Do you agree?
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next