Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QUEENSRYCHE

Go down 
+48
tul
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
MetallicSeminarian
Rex
Headbanger Man
assault_attack
Lovecraft
Metal Misfit
ZombieHavoc
glassprison
MetalRob331
Thrasher73
stormspell
mr.electric39
stpatrik
Runicen
Witchfinder
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
chewie
Svengo
Lari
manny
BearOnUnicycle
Temple of Blood
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
mlotek
Dark Horseman
bgsully
Sutekh
bass63
James B.
Required Fields
Wayne
Citanul
exact33
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Boris2008
Eyesore
Vexer6
corplhicks
ultmetal
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 3:24 am

Mindcrime is a brilliant album. Even the short, interlude-like tracks are good. And hell, the concept is excellent, too. How long did the Who Killed Mary? mystery last? Twenty years or so? Until Geoff sharted out the hackneyed sequel?
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 7:28 am

Eyesore wrote:
Mindcrime is a brilliant album. Even the short, interlude-like tracks are good. And hell, the concept is excellent, too. How long did the Who Killed Mary? mystery last? Twenty years or so? Until Geoff sharted out the hackneyed sequel?

Maybe I'm lazy, but I always assumed from every other cue in the album that it was a suicide. Like... There was zero mystery to me. I thought it was explicitly out and out stated when you listen to her lines at the end of Suite Sister Mary.

So... Then Geoff comes out with promo interviews for OM:2 and I just about crapped bricks because I'm like, "You wrote the damn thing and you think this is a mystery? Seemed pretty well buttoned up!"  scratch 
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 am

Runicen wrote:
Maybe I'm lazy, but I always assumed from every other cue in the album that it was a suicide.  Like...  There was zero mystery to me.  I thought it was explicitly out and out stated when you listen to her lines at the end of Suite Sister Mary.

There was also this additional text that was in the booklet for Operation: Livecrime.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010224054709/http://www.queensryche.com/discography/operation_mindcrime/libretto.html

The Needle Lies section pretty much points to Mary having killed herself.

Quote :
After Nikki leaves, Mary is plagued by the vision of Nikki turning into Father William. As they made love on the altar, the memories came flooding back. Years filled with men who has used her, degraded and beaten her, and driven their hatred and coldness into her heart. Once, she thought Nikki was her hope. But now he seemed like all the rest. She hated him. She hated men. She hated life. "Anybody home?" Unable to shake his addiction, and feeling beaten in his confrontation with Dr. X, Nikki returns. "Mary?" He finds her dead in her room.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 8:35 am

Mindcrime is a fantastic album. Can't go wrong with EP though Promised Land... then hit or miss until the S/T from last year.

The Geoff was trying to see his own BS with Mindcrime 2.... the revealed that it was suicide in the livecrime booklet... and when they played the whole album live on the Empire tour, they kept flashing suicide on the screens after Mary's death. Pretty obvious, but Vest was trying to sell a sequel.....
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Citanul wrote:
Runicen wrote:
Maybe I'm lazy, but I always assumed from every other cue in the album that it was a suicide.  Like...  There was zero mystery to me.  I thought it was explicitly out and out stated when you listen to her lines at the end of Suite Sister Mary.

There was also this additional text that was in the booklet for Operation: Livecrime.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010224054709/http://www.queensryche.com/discography/operation_mindcrime/libretto.html

The Needle Lies section pretty much points to Mary having killed herself.

Quote :
After Nikki leaves, Mary is plagued by the vision of Nikki turning into Father William. As they made love on the altar, the memories came flooding back. Years filled with men who has used her, degraded and beaten her, and driven their hatred and coldness into her heart. Once, she thought Nikki was her hope. But now he seemed like all the rest. She hated him. She hated men. She hated life. "Anybody home?" Unable to shake his addiction, and feeling beaten in his confrontation with Dr. X, Nikki returns. "Mary?" He finds her dead in her room.

And in, I think, the alternate video for "I Don't Believe In Love," the word "suicide" flashes on the screen at the end. You barely see it. I remember having to use the slow-motion feature on my old VHS to see it.

So yeah, things pointed toward suicide, but it was never laid out crystal clear. One could assume she was certainly suicidal, which would explain the flashing of the word "suicide" and other things, but it never was that cut and dried. "Who Killed Mary?" was a question that lingered for decades, and for good reason. It was great, concept-album storytelling.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Ok, I'll concede that the question COULD be interpreted as an open one, but to say it was a key mystery of the story doesn't quite do it for me. I mean, the question of how much of what happened was in Nikki's head looms much larger and the sequel particularly kind of annoyed because it made everything "face value" in the first album. Some of its ambiguity re: drug haze, memory, etc. made it the cool story that it was.

This is more me venting my spleen at the sequel, but I would have much rather had an exploration of a cracked drug addict/murderer's psyche (which we got a bit of) rather than a hackneyed "Who killed my ex? I need ta get him!" kind of arc. Mary was a secondary character at best in a story that was really about Nikki and Dr. X.

I mean, they give her two songs - the first setting up, "Here's this tragic secondary character and how she got here," the second going into, "Tragic character getting more tragic and probably going to die," and then an interlude for "Tragic character = dead."

Even the "relationship" there is kind of bizarre because, when she does die, Nikki doesn't sound like he misses HER, but that he's tired of being alive and wants to die too. This isn't Romeo & Juliet material...

Maybe I just missed the point of that duo altogether, but it was not a weight-bearing wall in the concept to my mind.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Mindcrime is good, though I personally prefer Empire.

I like Empire too. It is very good but it has a much different feel to it than Mindcrime.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 8:26 am

What I loved about original-era Queensryche was that each album had distinct personalities about them....all different, yet all Queensryche.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 9:20 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
What I loved about original-era Queensryche was that each album had distinct personalities about them....all different, yet all Queensryche.

I'll second this. There's almost a QR album from that era for any mood you could be in. Feeling alienated and distant? Promised Land or Rage for Order. Feeling politically aware and torqued off? Mindcrime or Empire. Feel like banging your head? EP or Warning. Feeling melancholy? I Will Remember on an endless loop.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 11:06 am

Hey Eyesore, here that guy's story on why he thinks he was the catalyst for the QR firing of Tate.

http://www.vindication156.net/index.php?topic=136.0
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 11:08 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Hey Eyesore, here that guy's story on why he thinks he was the catalyst for the QR firing of Tate.

So, Tate was being a dick and he was the catalyst for "saving" Queensryche..........

I can buy everything that Tate was going to pull.... but the rest of the band had to have seen some of it coming.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:

So, Tate was being a dick and he was the catalyst for "saving" Queensryche..........

I can buy everything that Tate was going to pull.... but the rest of the band had to have seen some of it coming.
Sounds like the guy is giving himself way too much credit.

Anyone else on like "Hear In The Now Frontier"? I think it's a good enough listen.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Anyone else on like "Hear In The Now Frontier"? I think it's a good enough listen.

I really like that album...had it since day 1.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 4:24 pm

If nothing else, it definitely goes a long way to explain why Samsara could be such a rigid ass about what he would and would not allow on the BDR. I lurked on that forum for a while and found the general tone the mods took there to be an utter drag on proceedings. Considering he was worried about legal implications for years, the whole approach makes a lot more sense.

Overall, I don't think he's taking TOO much credit. He's only saying he was involved and how. Granted, his last big post on the BDR was kind of grandiose, but here, he's just saying what went down. If this is a 100% accurate account of events, I can actually really respect what he did on a personal level and on a friend level as regards Wilton. Not a fun situation to be in as a fan of a band, no question.

As for HitNF, I dig it, but it definitely loses some steam in the middle. It's an odd album, but I don't htink it's as bad as it was made out to be. I came to the entire QR "classic" catalog after the fact, so it wasn't the stark revelation it was for people who were waiting for the followup to Promised Land.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Runicen wrote:
As for HitNF, I dig it, but it definitely loses some steam in the middle.  It's an odd album, but I don't htink it's as bad as it was made out to be.  I came to the entire QR "classic" catalog after the fact, so it wasn't the stark revelation it was for people who were waiting for the followup to Promised Land.

Many people did not like Promised Land at the time it came out. There was a pretty large, collective "WTF?" from a LOT of the fans who came on board during Empire's run at the top since Promised Land was so dark and weird. Empire had already run off a lot of the early fans for being too commercial. Only over time did Promised Land gain any sort of respect.

Personally, I love Promised Land.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Oh, PL is easily in my top 3. It's why I was so excited that the LaTorre fronted band's first offering was clearly mining that territory in their first release.

I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm until I see what comes next...
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 3:58 am

Runicen wrote:
As for HitNF, I dig it, but it definitely loses some steam in the middle.  It's an odd album, but I don't htink it's as bad as it was made out to be.  I came to the entire QR "classic" catalog after the fact, so it wasn't the stark revelation it was for people who were waiting for the followup to Promised Land.

That's pretty much the case for me as well. I picked up HitNF at the time I was getting interested in metal, and so it was a good bridge between the alternative rock that was popular at the time and this new genre that I was beginning to explore.

I actually hauled it out not so long ago after not having heard it for a while, and while part of the reason that I like it is definitely the nostalgia factor, I still think it's a decent album. While stylistically it may be a far cry from what they were doing in the 80s, there are still some memorable songs on it and I think that was what was lacking from later albums. Although to be fair the only one of those I have is O:M2 and I've only heard snippets of the others, but those snippets didn't make much impression on me.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 8:03 am

Vexer6 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:

Sounds like the guy is giving himself way too much credit.

That guy is delusional
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 10:55 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

I really like that album...had it since day 1.

I love that album. Very different from their other albums, but it's a great one. The last three tracks, "Hit the Black," "Anytime/Anywhere," and "Sp00l," are three of my all-time favorite QR tunes.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 10:59 am

Runicen wrote:
If nothing else, it definitely goes a long way to explain why Samsara could be such a rigid ass about what he would and would not allow on the BDR.  I lurked on that forum for a while and found the general tone the mods took there to be an utter drag on proceedings.  Considering he was worried about legal implications for years, the whole approach makes a lot more sense.

Overall, I don't think he's taking TOO much credit.  He's only saying he was involved and how.  Granted, his last big post on the BDR was kind of grandiose, but here, he's just saying what went down.  If this is a 100% accurate account of events, I can actually really respect what he did on a personal level and on a friend level as regards Wilton.  Not a fun situation to be in as a fan of a band, no question.

It doesn't explain why he wouldn't allow someone to discuss, say, "Empire" in a thread about Operation: Mindcrime, even if the conversation naturally went that way. Like I mentioned somewhere, he banned me from the Facebook page because I mentioned liking the saxophone on the song "Promised Land," which I did after someone made a joke about Geoff and his saxophone. So there you have a conversation taking a natural course, and he couldn't handle it.

Whatever his role was, he's a controlling, egomaniacal tool.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 11:05 am

No announcement on the name, but looks like The Vest is doing one last show as Queensryche, starring The Vest:

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 10157310
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 11:22 am

thejokeriv wrote:
No announcement on the name, but looks like The Vest is doing one last show as Queensryche, starring The Vest:

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 10157310

I'd go to that show to see Dammaj and then leave.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 1:06 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Runicen wrote:
If nothing else, it definitely goes a long way to explain why Samsara could be such a rigid ass about what he would and would not allow on the BDR.  I lurked on that forum for a while and found the general tone the mods took there to be an utter drag on proceedings.  Considering he was worried about legal implications for years, the whole approach makes a lot more sense.

Overall, I don't think he's taking TOO much credit.  He's only saying he was involved and how.  Granted, his last big post on the BDR was kind of grandiose, but here, he's just saying what went down.  If this is a 100% accurate account of events, I can actually really respect what he did on a personal level and on a friend level as regards Wilton.  Not a fun situation to be in as a fan of a band, no question.

It doesn't explain why he wouldn't allow someone to discuss, say, "Empire" in a thread about Operation: Mindcrime, even if the conversation naturally went that way. Like I mentioned somewhere, he banned me from the Facebook page because I mentioned liking the saxophone on the song "Promised Land," which I did after someone made a joke about Geoff and his saxophone. So there you have a conversation taking a natural course, and he couldn't handle it.

Yeah, no question there. This just may be proof positive that he's not 100% doucher. Maybe just 81%.  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Runicen wrote:

Most of that community has migrated to a different forum where he's a part of.  He keeps trying to control it even tho he can't anymore by saying "even tho I'm not a mod anymore.... blah blah".  The way he policed his forum always bugged me. I see people often prefacing things with "I hope this isn't off topic..."
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 am

I'll second that. I think I've said before, it's why I'd lurk there but never register. There was this attitude of, "The mods are having a conversation - don't offend us when you chime in." Total drag.

By comparison, HoM is the most libertarian meeting of the minds, a veritable philosopher's garden.

Actually, this place is pretty sweet, so maybe we can turn that into the forum's tagline... You know, if someone can sexy that up a little bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUEENSRYCHE
Page 14 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next