Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QUEENSRYCHE

Go down 
+48
tul
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
MetallicSeminarian
Rex
Headbanger Man
assault_attack
Lovecraft
Metal Misfit
ZombieHavoc
glassprison
MetalRob331
Thrasher73
stormspell
mr.electric39
stpatrik
Runicen
Witchfinder
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
chewie
Svengo
Lari
manny
BearOnUnicycle
Temple of Blood
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
mlotek
Dark Horseman
bgsully
Sutekh
bass63
James B.
Required Fields
Wayne
Citanul
exact33
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Boris2008
Eyesore
Vexer6
corplhicks
ultmetal
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Wayne wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
He's right.

He's a liar. Geoff cannot write music.

Irrelevant.  DeGarmo can.

And so can Michael Wilton.

I know that someone posted a list of song credits at some point but my recollection is that DeGarmo wrote the best songs of QUEENSRYCHE's career.

Alone, Wilton wrote "Nightrider," "Blinded," and "Deliverance," which are all great songs. The songs he wrote with just Tate, which we can safely assume are all Wilton musical compositions, are "Warning," "Before the Storm," "Child of Fire," "I Dream in Infrared," "Chemical Youth," "Revolution Calling," "Speak," "Spreading the Disease," "The Needle Lies," "Empire," etc. Hardly a list of their worst songs.

I would say the songs eyesore listed are some of best queensryche songs. I know we are talking personal taste/opinion and all that but anyone saying these songs have generic by the numbers riffs seriously needs their ears syringed.

All through this queensryche saga of late I've felt that tate has come off as an utter bell end. I can only go by news stories and interviews I read and from what I've read tate has made himself look like a right prat. He had a great voice and still has a good voice in my opinion but he can't write music, certainly nothing I care to listen to. His solo albums are boring and the last 3/4 tate fronted queensryche albums have been dull as dish water apart from the odd track. I didn't mind his last solo album, frequency unknown. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Wilton did write some great songs - it's pretty obviously that The Vest tried to marginalize Wilton, Jackson and Rockenfeld. 

Plus, what SD mentioned is true - DeGarmo was the leader of the band - he left because he was sick of dealing with Tate and he was the only one that kept him contained. We are all well aware what a Vest on loose does - adds lyrics to Jason Slater thow away songs and pretends he wrote everything. Heck, according to enough of those court docs, DeGarmo came up with 99.9% of Tate's vocal melodies. It's pretty obvious when you listen to the post-degarmo albums that someone else is coming up with the vocal melodies.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 5:57 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
There's definitely a science behind it.

Average riffs per song: 5.
Input in Iron Maiden power chord progressions.
Play melody with about 12 notes in it up and down a scale and harmonize it using diatonic thirds.
Rinse and repeat.

You may not be familiar with the "science" but it certainly exists.

I'm familiar with how music theory works--and how it affects the majority of popular music. What you're describing is a plethora of mainstream heavy metal numbers. It's a widely practiced formula, sure, but if I used it as a standard to criticize or discredit varying artists' craft as generic or what have you, I would be throwing out a bunch of bands that I already enjoy. It's how bands use said formula that's important, and is what makes these songs original rather than derivative.

In short, I fancy this formula more than you do. It's purely subjective.

Nothing wrong with the formula at all....
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Agreed, i think it's made for some kickass records.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 8:07 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
He's right.

He's a liar. Geoff cannot write music.

Irrelevant.  DeGarmo can.

And so can Michael Wilton.

I know that someone posted a list of song credits at some point but my recollection is that DeGarmo wrote the best songs of QUEENSRYCHE's career.

Alone, Wilton wrote "Nightrider," "Blinded," and "Deliverance," which are all great songs. The songs he wrote with just Tate, which we can safely assume are all Wilton musical compositions, are "Warning," "Before the Storm," "Child of Fire," "I Dream in Infrared," "Chemical Youth," "Revolution Calling," "Speak," "Spreading the Disease," "The Needle Lies," "Empire," etc. Hardly a list of their worst songs.

I would say the songs eyesore listed are some of best queensryche songs. I know we are talking personal taste/opinion and all that but anyone saying these songs have generic by the numbers riffs seriously needs their ears syringed.

All through this queensryche saga of late I've felt that tate has come off as an utter bell end. I can only go by news stories and interviews I read and from what I've read tate has made himself look like a right prat. He had a great voice and still has a good voice in my opinion but he can't write music, certainly nothing I care to listen to. His solo albums are boring and the last 3/4 tate fronted queensryche albums have been dull as dish water apart from the odd track. I didn't mind his last solo album, frequency unknown. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Wilton did write some great songs - it's pretty obviously that The Vest tried to marginalize Wilton, Jackson and Rockenfeld. 

Plus, what SD mentioned is true - DeGarmo was the leader of the band - he left because he was sick of dealing with Tate and he was the only one that kept him contained. We are all well aware what a Vest on loose does - adds lyrics to Jason Slater thow away songs and pretends he wrote everything. Heck, according to enough of those court docs, DeGarmo came up with 99.9% of Tate's vocal melodies. It's pretty obvious when you listen to the post-degarmo albums that someone else is coming up with the vocal melodies.

I mentioned this before, and I think it's key to really understanding things. As much as Geoff would like us to believe he's super-creative, the post-DeGarmo albums all pretty much have the same sound, and they seriously lack quality melodies. There are some, of course. I think "The Right Side of My Mind" is one of their best ever. I also really enjoy a few others from Q2K. And even some of the Slater/Tate songs are great: "The Hands," "Re-Arrange You," "At 30,000 Feet." But those kinds of tracks are few and far between, as opposed to the opposite being true when DeGarmo was in the band and seemingly all the members were contributing to albums.

Geoff is really a bit of a fish out of water without really good songwriters backing him.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Geoff is really a bit of a fish out of water without really good songwriters backing him.

So is LaTorre.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 4:37 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

So is LaTorre.

And LaTorre isn't trying to publicly pass himself off as a creative mastermind like Tate is.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 6:47 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

So is LaTorre.

Really? I heard plenty of great original tunes on La Torre's YouTube page before he took them down.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 11:11 pm

You guys hear this one yet?

Not the most amazing song, but really good.

I like what Todd said about it:

Quote :
La Torre recently stated about his vocal performance on "Discordia": "On the rare occasion I have read 'Todd sings like this, Todd sings like that...does he have his own voice?' My reply: Yes, yes I do...I am all of them. Example: If a person likes to dress in a suit one day, then jeans the next, then something entirely different the next, should one assume that person doesn't have their own look or identity? No, of course not. I have different styles, but that doesn't mean one has to be copying anyone else. Two people can resemble each other in many ways, [but] that doesn't mean they are related or that they tried to be like the other. Foolish to think such things. It's called eclectic, versatile, artistic, and not being boxed in. I write for the benefit of the music and what it calls for, and my approach is congruent to what the music tells me. Clean, raspy, lows, highs, growls, soft, loud... I do it all. I'm not a one-trick pony."
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 9:59 am

It's super-average. Like EIDOLON was.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 4:32 pm

Average can be good. =)
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Average is average. There's too much good music out there. It won't be talked about years from now.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Average is average.  There's too much good music out there.  It won't be talked about years from now.

Nor will 99% of what you and I consider good or great or amazing. There is always going to be something better, but can still enjoy that which is not WHIZBANGPOW! amazing.

I dug this tune. I doubt I'll ever sit there and think, Man, I want to listen to that La Torre/Drover jam NOW! But when it comes on, I'll enjoy the hell out of it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 12:03 am

At first glance, I thought Todd La Torre died. Still sad.

Father Of QUEENSRŸCHE Singer TODD LA TORRE Found Dead

According to a number of media outlets — including Tampa Bay Times, WFLA.com and ABC Action News — William LaTorre, a prominent St. Petersburg, Florida doctor and father of QUEENSRŸCHE/ex-CRIMSON GLORY singer Todd La Torre (pictured), was found dead in his office Thursday morning. Detectives have officially ruled his death as a suicide. A gun was found nearby. He was 73.

The shooting reportedly took place around 7 a.m. at St. Petersburg's LaTorre Wellness Center, which William LaTorre owned. He did not leave a note, according to officers.

"We have people with his family at this time and family and friends have gathered to deal with this news," Yolanda Fernandez of the St. Petersburg Police Department told ABC Action News. "It is very difficult for everyone and of course he has been here in the Bay area for a long time, so he has a lot of people that knew him."

William LaTorre's daughter and Todd's sister, Kristina Latorre Young, paid tribute to her dad earlier today by posting a photo of the two siblings and their father on her Facebook page (see below).

William LaTorre was the chiropractor who made headlines in 1989 when he became involved in a Memorial Day boat collision that claimed the lives of four teenagers. Todd, then 16, two of Todd's friends, and William LaTorre's wife were on the boat with him that day. William LaTorre was later acquitted in court.

Barry Cohen, who represented William LaTorre in that case, told ABC Action News he saw LaTorre three weeks ago at Trader Joe's in Tampa. Cohen said there was no indication LaTorre was in distress.

"You never know what goes on inside somebody's mind," said Cohen. "He obviously had a lot going on. A lot of demons eating at him."

William LaTorre had plans today to celebrate his 38th wedding anniversary with his wife.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 11:49 am

Eyesore wrote:
At first glance, I thought Todd La Torre died. Still sad.

Father Of QUEENSRŸCHE Singer TODD LA TORRE Found Dead

According to a number of media outlets — including Tampa Bay Times, WFLA.com and ABC Action News — William LaTorre, a prominent St. Petersburg, Florida doctor and father of QUEENSRŸCHE/ex-CRIMSON GLORY singer Todd La Torre (pictured), was found dead in his office Thursday morning. Detectives have officially ruled his death as a suicide. A gun was found nearby. He was 73.

The shooting reportedly took place around 7 a.m. at St. Petersburg's LaTorre Wellness Center, which William LaTorre owned. He did not leave a note, according to officers.

"We have people with his family at this time and family and friends have gathered to deal with this news," Yolanda Fernandez of the St. Petersburg Police Department told ABC Action News. "It is very difficult for everyone and of course he has been here in the Bay area for a long time, so he has a lot of people that knew him."

William LaTorre's daughter and Todd's sister, Kristina Latorre Young, paid tribute to her dad earlier today by posting a photo of the two siblings and their father on her Facebook page (see below).

William LaTorre was the chiropractor who made headlines in 1989 when he became involved in a Memorial Day boat collision that claimed the lives of four teenagers. Todd, then 16, two of Todd's friends, and William LaTorre's wife were on the boat with him that day. William LaTorre was later acquitted in court.

Barry Cohen, who represented William LaTorre in that case, told ABC Action News he saw LaTorre three weeks ago at Trader Joe's in Tampa. Cohen said there was no indication LaTorre was in distress.

"You never know what goes on inside somebody's mind," said Cohen. "He obviously had a lot going on. A lot of demons eating at him."

William LaTorre had plans today to celebrate his 38th wedding anniversary with his wife.

That boat accident was a big deal here in Tampa, oddly enough news outlets mentioned his the Doc's death but not who is son is
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 4:57 pm

Here's something for folks who want to throw money away:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/you-can-own-a-piece-of-queensryche/

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 5:01 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Well that's odd.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Well, I've already donated to Raven's Kickstarter campaign, so I'm out. Had they broke this news last week maybe.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 5:08 pm

So basically, "we had to pay Geoff a crap load of money to make him.go away and now we have to depend on the kindness of strangers"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
So basically, "we had to pay Geoff a crap load of money to make him.go away and now we have to depend on the kindness of strangers"

Probably.

They must really be hurting for cash to resort to this.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 5:52 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Well that's odd.

It's certainly different. I don't have that kind of cash, so it's irrelevant to me, but it might be worth it for someone who does.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Probably.

I don't know about that. It seems to be a natural step beyond crowdfunding, just something most bands can't offer.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 6:16 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Probably.

I don't know about that. It seems to be a natural step beyond crowdfunding, just something most bands can't offer.

It seems to indicate a lack of liquidity on their part if they're willing to part with a slice of their potential profits.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 6:21 pm

Come join in the minimal profits generated by a band whose mainstream commercial potential peaked over 20 years ago and who no longer have the original vocalist or songwriter responsible for their biggest successes. A deal of a lifetime!!!!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 7:33 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Probably.

It seems to indicate a lack of liquidity on their part if they're willing to part with a slice of their potential profits.  

But with the way the industry is today, with far less label backing, it might make sense. I'm assuming the labels are taking less of a cut, so it might make sense to go this route. I highly doubt investors are putting much into labels these days, so maybe some would be interested in investing directly in the band itself.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Probably.

But with the way the industry is today, with far less label backing, it might make sense. I'm assuming the labels are taking less of a cut, so it might make sense to go this route. I highly doubt investors are putting much into labels these days, so maybe some would be interested in investing directly in the band itself.

Yep. It's a brave new world out there for musicians.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 27 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUEENSRYCHE
Page 27 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next