Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QUEENSRYCHE

Go down 
+48
tul
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
MetallicSeminarian
Rex
Headbanger Man
assault_attack
Lovecraft
Metal Misfit
ZombieHavoc
glassprison
MetalRob331
Thrasher73
stormspell
mr.electric39
stpatrik
Runicen
Witchfinder
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
chewie
Svengo
Lari
manny
BearOnUnicycle
Temple of Blood
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
mlotek
Dark Horseman
bgsully
Sutekh
bass63
James B.
Required Fields
Wayne
Citanul
exact33
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Boris2008
Eyesore
Vexer6
corplhicks
ultmetal
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 11:33 pm

stpatrik wrote:
Runicen wrote:
stpatrik wrote:
With all due respect, I personally feel they don't really need DeGarmo anymore. As far as I'm concerned, the s/t, which I feel is way better than the last 3 records the original band made, was proof that Tate was the problem rather than DeGarmo not being there anymore. Lundgren has a good report with Wilton live, and judging by Where Dreams Go To Die, he certainly has songwriting chops too. The next album will be really interesting. La Torre can play instruments and thus contributes as well, that's probably why the great vocal melodies are back, too.

This is a distinct possibility.  Whatever the next album from Toddryche is, it'll pretty much show whether they can really pull it out of the bag or if the new self-titled was about all the gas they had left in the tank.  For my part, I'm hoping for a total triumph.

One observation on the new one that is a little problematic (and Todd being more of an instrumentalist/musician himself than Tate may address this as he's brought in more on the writing side) is that the vocal melodies were pretty pedestrian and uninteresting - to the point that, even now, Tate could have probably sung them without much difficulty even with his drastically reduced range.

I can se La Torre sorta held back a little, but no way Tate could sing ém. Judging by the pro shot show from Brazil, he can barely hold a note anymore, much less make his way through harmonies without failing. Besides Paul Stanley, I really can't think of another vocalist whose range has diminished so drastically.

Have you heard Joe Elliot lately???? crapola
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 11:44 pm

I know a lot of people have said Mark Slaughter's vocals sound really shot during live performances in recent years.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 3:41 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Runicen wrote:
This isn't meant as a knock against La Torre because I sure as hell couldn't do it, but over the range of live videos I've seen of the new lineup on Youtube, he sounds like he's a stiff breeze from shredding his pipes when he hits those notes.  I mean, he's squeezing pretty damn hard to get those sounds out...

You could hear that coming a mile away when he first joined. He was impressive, but you could hear that there was no way he was gonna tour continuously and hold up. Just a few months in he was screaming (not singing) many of those high notes (especially QoTR). He's my age and has never toured at Ryche's level...he's got a TOUGH road ahead of him. He better dial it back a little (more) on future material.

I think he sounds much better now than he did in the beginning, when he was trying to sing everything like Geoff would. Now he's using a style and tones that, I assume, are much more within his natural range.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 3:48 am

Vexer6 wrote:
I know a lot of people have said Mark Slaughter's vocals sound really shot during live performances in recent years.

He sounds pretty bad, yeah. Not the entire time, but anything that comes close to the upper register falls severely flat. Joe Elliot isn't nearly as bad. He still sounds decent live.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 8:56 am

Not to derail the thread completely, but is there anybody going who still sounds more or less the way they did "in the day?"

I've read some critiques of Dio having lost some range by the end, but he could still fundamentally sing the songs, even if he wasn't going to be adding any really high ad libs like he might have in the 70s, so I suppose that's an example of what I'd be looking for.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 9:00 am

Lemmy can still hit all of the notes that he could back in the day!
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 9:01 am

Lemmy doesn't hit notes. Lemmy violates the air nearest to his larynx.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 9:29 am

Mr. Biff Byford
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 10:20 am

Runicen wrote:
Not to derail the thread completely, but is there anybody going who still sounds more or less the way they did "in the day?"  

I've read some critiques of Dio having lost some range by the end, but he could still fundamentally sing the songs, even if he wasn't going to be adding any really high ad libs like he might have in the 70s, so I suppose that's an example of what I'd be looking for.

John Arch still wails just as high as he used to, Midnight was great on his weird 00's stuff. Leather Leone sounds pretty good. Out of those who actually kept recording a decent amount, "The Tyrant" Conklin gets the nod.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 10:47 am

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Runicen wrote:

John Arch still wails just as high as he used to, Midnight was great on his weird 00's stuff. Leather Leone sounds pretty good. Out of those who actually kept recording a decent amount, "The Tyrant" Conklin gets the nod.

Not a single singer you mentioned has (had) done any sort of intensive touring the way Dio & Tate have. Their voices are (were) still pretty much intact, general age notwithstanding.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 10:58 am

Much as I'm not a huge fan of his voice, Bruce Dickinson has held up well, when you consider the amount of gigs he has under his belt.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 11:48 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Much as I'm not a huge fan of his voice, Bruce Dickinson has held up well, when you consider the amount of gigs he has under his belt.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 12:11 pm

On albums Coverdale sounds good but i'm hearing he's cheating.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Eric Adams. Manowar are a comical farce of themselves these days but dude's voice is top notch! Even at that dreadful 5+ hours Guinness record concert he was belting the high screams until the very end.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 12:49 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
On albums Coverdale sounds good but i'm hearing he's cheating.

Say it ain't so!  Sad 
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 1:09 pm

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t11674p50-whitesnake-is-the-greatest-band-ever?highlight=whitesnake

At the end of the linked thread watch the video.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 2:15 pm

Klaus Meine still sounds pretty great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 2:30 pm

Singers whose initial style pushed them outside the comfortable range of their voice tend to burn their voice out rather quickly.

I bet if you asked Ian Gillan in the late 80s while he was going through multiple painful throat surgeries to repair the damage he inflicted by screaming his lungs out for over a decade if he regretted that choice he would probably say yes.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 2:41 pm

S.D. wrote:
Singers whose initial style pushed them outside the comfortable range of their voice tend to burn their voice out rather quickly.

I bet if you asked Ian Gillan in the late 80s while he was going through multiple painful throat surgeries to repair the damage he inflicted by screaming his lungs out for over a decade if he regretted that choice he would probably say yes.  

Sadly Gillan really should hang it up, just saw part of a 2011 gig and it was sad (the band sounded great)

The one who amazes me is Brian Johnson, who has for 30+ years looked like he was about to blow his voice out/have a heart attack/sh*t himself on stage, yet he still sounds great!  surprised 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 3:16 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

Sadly Gillan really should hang it up, just saw part of a 2011 gig and it was sad (the band sounded great)

I don't think so, he re-arranged those songs years ago so that he could sing them. He still has a good voice (listen to their most recent album), he just has to sing in his normal range now.

Same thing happened to Ian Anderson, he permanently damaged his voice while recording the Under Wraps album. Since then he had to change his style to suit the new lessened range he had to work with, including re-arranging all the vocals from their back catalog. He has now hired a vocalist for his solo tours and he concentrates mostly on playing guitar and flute.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 3:52 pm

Getting older sucks!  QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 251456 

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 4:07 pm

Ouch. That Whitesnake live vid is pretty painful. Any chance it was just an off night captured on a cell phone? There are some Q&A vids on the official channel where he does a few acoustic songs with Aldrich and it sounds like he's still got the chops.

S.D. wrote:
I don't think so, he re-arranged those songs years ago so that he could sing them.  He still has a good voice (listen to their most recent album), he just has to sing in his normal range now.  

Same thing happened to Ian Anderson, he permanently damaged his voice while recording the Under Wraps album.  Since then he had to change his style to suit the new lessened range he had to work with, including re-arranging all the vocals from their back catalog.  He has now hired a vocalist for his solo tours and he concentrates mostly on playing guitar and flute.  

Gillan honestly has a lot going for him in that he never STOPPED singing. There are a ton of singers who took a few years off (Tate around Promised Land comes to mind, along with Robert Plant in the late 80s) and their voices degraded DRAMATICALLY during their off time. His voice isn't what it once was, but he can still more or less pull off being a rock frontman.

Anderson, unfortunately, probably made his situation worse after Under Wraps because he kept trying to push it back and I think he fried what was left in the process. Listen to Catfish Rising (some people hate it, I love it) and you hear the last real hurrah from his "new" voice. Everything after was the almost spoken singing.

But he hired a singer for the tour? I hadn't heard of that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 5:46 pm

Runicen wrote:

But he hired a singer for the tour?  I hadn't heard of that.

He hired a singer for the TAAB2 tour last year, mostly to sing the more challenging sections from the original album. Anderson still sang during the acoustic sections and on the new songs from TAAB2.

Anderson's new solo album comes out next month, I understand that he will be taking the additional vocalist on tour again for this album.

I definitely don't blame him. He is still one helluva songwriter, arranger and instrumentalist, if he thinks the fans will get a better show if another vocalist sings the older material then I'm fine with it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 1:51 am

I remember the first time I head Def Leppard's On Through the Night, I thought it was a different singer. Mutt Lange pushed Joe Elliot to go higher. Unfortunately Joe can't hit all those notes in most of their hit songs.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 9:37 am

S.D. wrote:
He hired a singer for the TAAB2 tour last year, mostly to sing the more challenging sections from the original album.  Anderson still sang during the acoustic sections and on the new songs from TAAB2.  

Anderson's new solo album comes out next month, I understand that he will be taking the additional vocalist on tour again for this album.

I definitely don't blame him.  He is still one helluva songwriter, arranger and instrumentalist, if he thinks the fans will get a better show if another vocalist sings the older material then I'm fine with it.  

My jury's still out on TAAB2, but I'm very much looking forward to the new one regardless.

Given that IA is so quick to reshuffle lineups to suit what he thinks the music needs, it's actually kind of refreshing that he's willing to do it in areas that are normally his sole domain. I don't know any other band that has really gone that route...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUEENSRYCHE
Page 8 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next