Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Motley Crue planning to hang it up

Go down 
+37
Short-Fuse
Big Rich
Glower
Smindas
Witchfinder
journeyman
James B.
mlotek
Metal Misfit
exact33
krokus
brokentulsa
Shawn Of Fire
metalinmyveins
ultmetal
nevermore
Boris2008
ZombieHavoc
MetalGuy71
jstate
MoonChild
manny
Thrasher73
iamrockerfun
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
jettafiend
Fat Freddy
mc666
thejokeriv
Required Fields
Troublezone
akeldama
Orion Crystal Ice
Dark Horseman
corplhicks
Sword Of The Heretic
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eddie Trunk apparently sent out this tweet...
Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 BeMQaV0IUAAfzA_

Alice & Motley? I wouldn't mind seeing that.

If true, I need to see this concert.

I will say it since no one else has.

How can Motley Crue "retire" when Alice Cooper is OLDER and won't retire/stop?
reminds me of a friend saying when he went to see OZZY in July, 1989 because Ozzy might be dead any day, so when the Rolling Stones played Sarstock in 2003, I thought the same and went, that Keith or Mick could be dead any day too.

Everybody is still touring.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:24 am

Quote :

Alice doesn't have a guitarist whose spine is fusing together.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 11:21 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Reading Mick's sections in 'The Dirt' I think it's only a series of bad financial moves on Mick's part that has resulted in him carrying on this long. It sounds as though he's been in a lot of pain for a long time.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 11:36 am

Boris2008 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Reading Mick's sections in 'The Dirt' I think it's only a series of bad financial moves on Mick's part that has resulted in him carrying on this long. It sounds as though he's been in a lot of pain for a long time.

When I saw them a few years ago, I was off to the side seating area and during Tommy's drum solo, I could see 2 people helping Mick down the steps and walk him back stage. He was hobbling like a frail old man. That was probably a good 7 or 8 years ago by now. I can only image that he's gotten worse since then.

EDIT: The interwebs tell me Motley last played the Spectrum in Philly in 2005. So nearly 9 years ago, and he was already feeble.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 12:32 pm

Oh, I never heard about Mick Mars' poor health before. I've had back problems in the past too, and can sympathize.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 pm

Quote :
For most of his professional career, Mars has openly struggled with ankylosing spondylitis, a chronic, inflammatory form of arthritis that mainly affects the spine and pelvis. It was initially diagnosed when he was 17 years old, and has increasingly impaired his movement and has caused him a great deal of pain. This led to hip-replacement surgery at the end of 2004.

Over the years, the illness has caused his lower spine to seize up and freeze completely solid, "...causing scoliosis in [his] back and squashing [him] further down and forward until [he] was a full three inches shorter than [he] was in high school."

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 12:52 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
For most of his professional career, Mars has openly struggled with ankylosing spondylitis, a chronic, inflammatory form of arthritis that mainly affects the spine and pelvis. It was initially diagnosed when he was 17 years old, and has increasingly impaired his movement and has caused him a great deal of pain. This led to hip-replacement surgery at the end of 2004.

Over the years, the illness has caused his lower spine to seize up and freeze completely solid, "...causing scoliosis in [his] back and squashing [him] further down and forward until [he] was a full three inches shorter than [he] was in high school."

God...

Gah...

You know I never liked the guy and think he is a shit guitarist but hell, I'm gonna say a daily prayer for him. That's just cringe-inducing.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 1:12 pm

corplhicks wrote:

and think he is a shit guitarist

He had a killer tone on "Too Fast" and "Shout"

Not flashy or innovative, but still unique.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 1:45 pm

James B. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

and think he is a shit guitarist

He had a killer tone on "Too Fast" and "Shout"

Not flashy or innovative, but still unique.

His tone is great, and he's a great riffer, but soloing grates on my nerves and not unique in the least. Just a bunch of pentatonic noodling with some cheap speed cheats that was impressive in the early 70's. That would be okay if he could at least have some personality in his licks, but they're lifeless. Dude can't even play the blues with passion.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 1:47 pm

I always thought Mars was a rather bland guitarist. Serviceable but none too flashy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Mars is "just good enough" for Motley Crue, you don't need a virtuoso guitarist for music this simple.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 1:53 pm

S.D. wrote:
Mars is "just good enough" for Motley Crue, you don't need a virtuoso guitarist for music this simple.

Yeah that's a good way to put it. It just seems like (and maybe this is due to faulty memory) he was getting a ton of praise heaped on him back in the day. I just didn't get it.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 1:55 pm

S.D. wrote:

Thing is Tommy and Nikki are skilled players, and Mick just doesn't fit in. Also consider most of the pop metal that followed had far better players in the EVH mold. Mick never bothered to step up his game but remain boring and lifeless.

I will say he did well on the Corabi album by focusing more on atmosphere and ambiance than five-note drivel.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Mick is not a crappy guitarist in the least, I think Nikki is a rather pedestrian bassist for the most part but musically Mick played his ass off on 'Too Fast For Love', "Motley Crab" & 'Quaternary' and 'Shout At The Devil'. "Simple" shouldn't be taken nor stated in a derogatory way which I'm not implying that it is but rather I'm just making a statement. No amount of virtuosity or whatever else tickles your ears would ever fix the messes that TOP, GGG, Dr. Feelgood or GS are IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Just for the record, when I said "simple" it was not meant in a derogatory way. Lots of great music is very simple.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 6:00 pm

S.D. wrote:
Just for the record, when I said "simple" it was not meant in a derogatory way.  Lots of great music is very simple.  

I knew that.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:02 pm

Mick was perfect for the band. Simple, yes. Good, yes. With MC retiring, what is Neil going to do with that "make me look 20" thing he had done.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:22 am

Final Tour Dates announced. And yes, it's with Alice Cooper...

July 02 - Grand Rapids, MI - Van Andel Arena
July 04 - Milwaukee, WI - Summerfest
July 05 - Noblesville, IN - Klipsch Music Center
July 06 - Cincinnati, OH - Riverbend Music Center
July 08 - Columbus, OH - Schottenstein Center
July 09 - Maryland Heights, MO - Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
July 11 - Des Moines, IA - Wells Fargo Arena
July 12 - Wichita, KS - INTRUST Bank Arena
July 13 - Tulsa, OK - BOK Center
July 15 - Cedar Park, TX - Cedar Park Center
July 16 - Dallas, TX - Gexa Energy Pavilion
July 18 - Albuquerque, NM - Isleta Amphitheater
July 19 - Phoenix, AZ - AK-Chin Pavilion
July 21 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl
July 22 - Irvine, CA - Verizon Wireless Amp
July 23 - Mountain View, CA - Shoreline Amphitheatre
July 25 - Reno, NV - Reno Events Center
July 26 - Ridgefield, WA - Sleep County Amphitheater
July 27 - Auburn, WA - White River Amphitheater
July 29 - Wheatland, CA - Sleep Train Amphitheater
July 30 - Chula Vista, CA - Sleep Train Amphitheater
Aug. 01 - Salt Lake City, UT - USANA Amp
Aug. 02 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
Aug. 03 - Kansas City, MO - Sprint Center
Aug. 05 - Sturgis, SD - Sturgis Buffalo Chip
Aug. 06 - Sioux City, IA - Tyson Events Center
Aug. 08 - Tinley Park, IL - First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre
Aug. 09 - Clarkston, MI - DTE Energy Music Theatre
Aug. 10 - Toronto, ON - Molson Canadian Amp
Aug. 12 - Cuyahoga Falls, OH - Blossom Music Center
Aug. 13 - Burgettstown, PA - First Niagara Pavilion
Aug. 15 - Pelham, AL - Oak Mountain Amp
Aug. 16 - Alpharetta, GA - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre @ Encore Park
Aug. 17 - Tampa, FL - MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amp
Aug. 19 - Charlotte, NC - PNC Music Pavilion
Aug. 20 - Virginia Beach, VA - Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach
Aug. 22 - Bristow, VA - Jiffy Lube Live
Aug. 23 - Camden, NJ - Susquehanna Bank Center
Aug. 24 - Mansfield, MA - Xfinity Center
Aug. 26 - Saratoga Springs, NY - Saratoga Performing. Arts Center
Aug. 27 - Allentown, PA - Great Allentown Fair
Aug. 29 - Wantagh, NY - Nikon at Jones Beach Theater
Aug. 30 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center
Aug. 31 - Darien Center, NY - Darien Lake Performing. Arts Center
Oct. 10 - Oklahoma City, OK - Chesapeake Arena
Oct. 11 - The Woodlands, TX - Cynthia W. Mitchell Pavilion
Oct. 12 - Bossier City, LA - CenturyLink Center
Oct. 14 - Louisville, KY - KFC Yum! Center
Oct. 15 - Nashville, TN - Bridgestone Arena
Oct. 17 - Hollywood, FL - Seminole Hard Rock Live
Oct. 19 - Jacksonville, FL - Veterans Memorial Arena
Oct. 21 - Greenville, SC - Bon Secours Wellness Arena
Oct. 22 - Greensboro, NC - Greensboro Coliseum
Oct. 25 - Atlantic City, NJ - Borgata Events Center Phoenix - AK-Chin Pavilion
Oct. 26 - Montville, CT - Mohegan Sun
Oct. 29 - Syracuse, NY - The OnCenter Complex
Nov. 05 - Biloxi, MS - Mississippi Coast College
Nov. 06 - Southaven, MS - Landers Center
Nov. 09 - Moline, IL - iWireless Center
Nov. 11 - Green Bay, WI - Resch Center
Nov. 12 - Madison, WI - Alliant Energy Center
Nov. 13 - Omaha, NE - CenturyLink Center
Nov. 15 - St. Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center
Nov. 16 - Fargo, ND - FargoDome
Nov. 18 - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
Nov. 19 - Calgary, AB - Scotiabank Saddledome
Nov. 21 - Vancouver, BC - Rogers Arena

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:25 am

August 13th in my area. "Last chance" to ever see them.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:39 am

007 wrote:
August 13th in my area. "Last chance" to ever see them.

Aug 22nd is the date I will be "missing" my "last chance" to see them
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:40 am

I've seen them 3 or 4 times in the past, so I'm not all that eager to see them one last time. I could be persuaded however to catch Alice. I'd like to see him once live before he keels over.

I was hoping they'd play in the arena where I work so I could see it free. Add to it that I don't like the Susquehanna Bank Center.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:42 am

S.D. wrote:

Exactly. It's not like Motley Crue was Rush or even Winger...a solid blues/rock player was all they needed.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 am

I'm gonna see if I can get box tickets from my company for Oct22...that's how I saw Journey last time. LOL

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 11:52 am

How is Mick going to handle that tour? Five nights in a row is a lot for younger dudes.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 12:32 pm

My point is Mick Mars is a BAD guitarist, not good, not solid, but perhaps I'm just not as forgiving as others. Moving on...

"Today, the band members went so far as to sign a “cessation of touring agreement” at a press conference in Los Angeles. That legal filing will go into effect at the end of 2015."

So how legit is this type of document? Is it just a flimsy PR stunt or will this really kill off the band?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue planning to hang it up   Motley Crue planning to hang it up - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Motley Crue planning to hang it up
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next