Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Motley Crue 1994

Go down 
+18
James B.
exact33
Witchfinder
DeathCult
ZetaReticuli
outofstep
manny
Sword Of The Heretic
akeldama
arttieTHE1manparty
nevermore
MetalGuy71
skullsmasher
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Metal Misfit
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 12:50 am

What did you think of this album?

I just gave my thoughts on my music blog (see the link below, folks!) and it's a really strong album, IMO. Should've been a side project band rather than being called "Motley Crue", but still, some really cool music there.
Back to top Go down

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 1:13 am

Highly underrated album; definitely one of their best.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 1:37 am

I knew you'd see it my way.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 9:40 am

Had it. Liked it ok. Sold it. Have another copy coming my way.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 9:41 am

Never heard it but have always been curious about it. It really seems to be a "love or hate" kind of CD, there's no middle ground.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 11:32 am

Lately, I have been picking up more Crue (both old and new) as I have softened my dislike of the Motley boys and have tried to become more accepting of albums until I have had a chance to purchase them and give a good sit down and listen. Thanks for the review. Good luck with the blog. Peace.

BTW, the Burger King Masters of the Universe commercial was hysterical and brought back some serious memories. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 2:23 pm

Best thing they ever did and they should have kept Corabi and carried on with this heavy, big kickass sound.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 2:31 pm

Hooligan's Holiday,love that song. I must say this was probably their best album and sound as far as the band and writing go but Corabi wasn't Vince and it seemed like it really wasn't Crue.

As mentioned above "should have been a side project".... I agree.
Back to top Go down

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 2:45 pm

skullsmasher wrote:
Hooligan's Holiday,love that song. I must say this was probably their best album and sound as far as the band and writing go but Corabi wasn't Vince and it seemed like it really wasn't Crue.

It was far too good to be labelled MC. Record company politics again, see.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 2:53 pm

skullsmasher wrote:

I like this one a lot, but I agree that it's wasn't a very Crue-like album. Along with John Corabi being an entirely different animal than Vince, the music was a little darker. Like some other "hair-bands" at the time, they tried to sound more serious and grown-up (for lack of a better term) to compete with that Seattle-grunge sound that was all the rage. Singing about Girls, Girls, Girls seemed pretty passe. Good album that still holds up pretty well in 2008, which is more than I can say about some of the other 80's bands (Warrant, Poison, Ratt) mid-90's releases.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 3:14 pm

I love this record! One of the Crue's best!
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 3:51 pm

I have always liked it, but took it for what it was. I have said it so many times, but I'll say it once more...

Without Vince Neil and Nikki Sixx BOTH in the band, it is not Motley Crue.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 4:04 pm

This is the best Crue record they'll ever make unless they get Crabby back. Motley Crab is one of the most underrated albums out there. The only Crue I listen to these days is the stuff with Crabby.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 6:03 pm

I loved their 1994 album. So many people that watched it on Headbanger's Ball said that it sucked. Not me. Till Death Do Us Part was one of their best songs they had ever done.
And I honestly believe that had they kept Crabby for Generation Swine, it still would have sucked.
Back to top Go down

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 7:38 pm

I enjoyed the dark turn and the bottom heavy sound. Different, not typical and good.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 12:04 pm

My favorite Motley Crue album, John Corabi's raspy voice and his guitar playing opened up a whole new musicial world for this band. Songs like "Uncle Jack' which dealt with child abuse; "It Rips my heart in/Are you Human/You took their innocence and made them slaves,"
Also talked about their early days on the Sunset Strip even name checking Mott the Hopple in the song " Poison Apple' "We Loved Mott the Hopple/It keep us all enraged"
Drug addiction (Hammered) and even self reflection (Driftway) which this band is not known for doing.
Vince Neil wishes he had as much range as a vocalist, and as a songwriter John Corabi helped Nikki Sixx explore the darkside of life in not a cartoonish way the Crue had done in the past (Wildside) but in way that was real to life.
Great criminally under looked album, the only album that this band took a bold step forward.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 12:57 pm

I have to say that I always liked it but without Vince,it just didn't seem like a Motley Crue release.Still, Corabi was an excellent choice .The man has talent.
Back to top Go down
outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

Number of posts : 90

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 4:16 pm

I saw them live on this tour, and Corabi and co. put on an INCREDIBLE show. Small club in Minneapolis with type o negative opening. In contrast, I also saw vince neil play solo once at a county fair, and he was drunker and fatter than most of the audience (and that's saying something for a Wisconsin county fair!). He also sang completely out of tune and couldn't remember the words to most of the songs. Terrible.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:03 pm

I was listening to some of it earlier, and honestly John Corabi is a hell of a lot better singer than Vince Neil. The downside is, the music is not that fun to listen to...compared to stuff like Shout At The Devil. It's just too dark, too slow.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 8:45 am

Its ok, but it lacks memorability like a mutha.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:36 pm

The best thing ever released with the Motley Crue name on it...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:46 pm

S wrote:
The best thing ever released with the Motley Crue name on it...

agree x100
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
skullsmasher wrote:

I like this one a lot, but I agree that it's wasn't a very Crue-like album. Along with John Corabi being an entirely different animal than Vince, the music was a little darker. Like some other "hair-bands" at the time, they tried to sound more serious and grown-up (for lack of a better term) to compete with that Seattle-grunge sound that was all the rage. Singing about Girls, Girls, Girls seemed pretty passe. Good album that still holds up pretty well in 2008, which is more than I can say about some of the other 80's bands (Warrant, Poison, Ratt) mid-90's releases.

I feel the same way in 2010 as I did back in '08 about this album. Good album, just not a "Motley Crue" album.

What's Corabi up to these days? He was in Ratt for awhile, wasn't he? He's been MIA for some time now.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Never heard it but have always been curious about it. It really seems to be a "love or hate" kind of CD, there's no middle ground.

Almost four (!) years after this post, I finally got a copy of this album from a co-worker who was clearing out some CDs and I've had it for about two weeks now.

Listened to it a bunch of times aaaaand... it's OK. Starts off pretty strong with "Power to the Music" and "Hooligan's Holiday" (my two faves) but gets pretty samey by the mid point. Some of these tracks simply drag out too damned long (Motley Crue should NOT be writing six-minute-plus songs...), and since the copy I got is the "Crucial Crue" reissue with a couple of bonus tracks, it just makes it even longer.

Corabi's got a cool voice and the album is an interesting experiment to be sure. I'd rather listen to this than any of the Crue's post-SHOUT AT THE DEVIL albums w/Vince on vox, but I can also understand why this album sank faster than JFK Junior when it was released. Granted, it was 1994 and the old school Crue sound wasn't the flavor of the day, but the radical shift in sound resulted in a collective "What the @#$%?" from what little fanbase they had left. Even if this album had Vince on it, it still would've been commercial suicide.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Quote :
Even if this album had Vince on it, it still would've been commercial suicide.

I don't know if this album was written with Vince in mind or he was long gone before writing commencend, but whatever your opinion is of this album (I like it), it would have been 50x worse with Vince singing.

Motley Crue 1994 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue 1994   Motley Crue 1994 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Motley Crue 1994
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next