Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.

Go down 
+42
jstate
Thrasher73
metalinmyveins
DakotaRogers
rajah
Hamer12
Citanul
brokentulsa
Wurthless
Lari
Required Fields
candlemass
chewie
MetalGuy71
Chairman_Smith
sovdat
Eyesore
bass63
MetalRob331
nevermore
ZombieHavoc
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
krokus
SideShowDisaSter
metalhead777
jettafiend
Witchfinder
Orion Crystal Ice
MetallicSeminarian
Temple of Blood
Sword Of The Heretic
manny
mc666
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
tohostudios
BearOnUnicycle
choosemetal
corplhicks
ultmetal
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

I would say Threshold. Their early stuff is good, but I think they've improved as the years have gone by and March Of Progress is one of their best.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 2:29 am

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
krokus wrote:
DEATH ANGEL and TESTAMENT new albums are better than a lot of the older ones. Also OVERKILL last two albums are amazing.

I like some of the new stuff by both Testament (Dark Roots of the Earth) and Overkill (Ironbound), but I just can't put them on the level of stuff like Practice What You Preach and The Years of Decay.

They are really good though. Both bands continue to put out stuff worthy of their legacy and worth picking up, for sure. Even if they don't quite equal their old stuff, at least they're still around kicking all kinds of booty.  headbanger 

Yes, they are releasing great stuff. THE ELECTRIC AGE is even better than IRONBOUND in my opinion. I could not believe it when i bought it because IRONBOUND is such a great album.
About the last TESTAMENT album, its maybe my fave TESTAMENT album. All songs are great, the singer sings better than before, the sound of the record is just amazing etc...also the new DEATH ANGEL is amazing. Best album since reunion.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 6:52 am

brokentulsa wrote:

Rush

Some of the newer material from Rush is quite good, but better than the classics?!  affraid angry Mad insane
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 9:01 am

That would be King's X for me. I think their last 3 or 4 albums are great.I don't dislike the older stuff, just don't listen to it as much anymore.
Back to top Go down
rajah
Metal student
Metal student
rajah

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 3:55 pm

I am brand new to this site, had to get in on all these great topics. Even though I am about the same age as a lot of you guys it looks like I am not as adapt at technology as you are. Might take me awhile to get the hang of it. 

Anyway, I agree with several that have already been mentioned, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Overkill and Saxon, but their in one I have not seen mentioned, and that is Europe. 

Their first two albums are classic metal, then came the Final Countdown era, which broke the bank, But I think the last three reunion albums are all excellent, specifically the last one Bag of Bones.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Welcome to the board!  Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 811939 
Back to top Go down
rajah
Metal student
Metal student
rajah

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks, been reading on here for awhile, thought it was time I started giving my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Europe's self-titled debut is a pretty damn good album though. Are you sure you like the new ones better?
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 5:19 pm

I thought Bag of Bones was a great album.
Back to top Go down
rajah
Metal student
Metal student
rajah

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 5:28 pm

Lari wrote:
Europe's self-titled debut is a pretty damn good album though. Are you sure you like the new ones better?

Back to top Go down
rajah
Metal student
Metal student
rajah

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 5:33 pm

I agree the first two Europe albums are classics, but I really  like the last three better. Not a fan of the Final Countdown or the one after that.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 5:44 pm

Overkill:

Most would disagree, but albums like "Feel the Fire" bore me into oblivion. "The Years of Decay" was amazing, but none of them hold a flame to the new (and strangely revitalized) high-octane, modern Overkill releases like "Ironbound" and "The Electric Age." They're really consistent about putting out material too, we don't have to wait a decade for something new, unlike Testament/Metallica/Exodus.

Death Angel:

Well of course "The Ultra-Violence" was a classic, not really accessible, but those riffs and banshee shrieks can't be beat. However, their second output "Frolic in the Park" was worse than Lupus. Who would have thought an album called "Frolic in the Park" would turn out to be a stinker, right? "Act III" was all cute and radio friendly, but I enjoyed it for the most part. The new Death Angel is so much more angrier, with vocals that just ooze discontent, and the solos are so damn sexy. (Dethroned, The Dream Calls for Blood, to name a few)

Exodus:

While "Bonded by Blood" is one of the first classic debuts I actually enjoy, the two that followed were straight-up drink coasters. As blasphemous as it is, I would take any of the newer albums any day, especially "Tempo of the Damned"- one of the finest releases in modern thrash metal. I also thoroughly enjoy the Rob Dukes material, but others would choose to sit and bitch about the vocals instead of taking notice of the brilliant riffs and solos laid out by Gary Holt and Lee Altus.

Last edited by DakotaRogers on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 6:17 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
However, their second output "Frolic in the Park" was worse than cancer. Who would have thought an album called "Frolic in the Park" would turn out to be a stinker, right?

Shocked 
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 9:18 pm

corplhicks wrote:
DakotaRogers wrote:
However, their second output "Frolic in the Park" was worse than cancer. Who would have thought an album called "Frolic in the Park" would turn out to be a stinker, right?

Shocked 

Shocked 

Metal student
Metal student
rajah

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Almost forgot. Deep Purple, the last four with Steve Morse are better that anything they did in the 70's. In fact my favorite album by them is Purpendicular.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 9:31 pm

eh, Death Angel......same league as Testament for me. The first ones are the best, yeah, but.... when it comes to thrash....there's still so much better you can do..
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 8:07 am

DakotaRogers wrote:

However, their second output "Frolic in the Park" was worse than cancer. Who would have thought an album called "Frolic in the Park" would turn out to be a stinker, right? "

I couldn't disagree with you more. I just think it's too sophisticated a metal album for many a listener's ears. It's an intelligent album which breaks away from some formulaic rule of thrash, so then it unfortunately is labeled as their worst record or how you compared it. Bad analogy also; you must have never had anyone close to you die from cancer, otherwise I'm guessing you wouldn't be so cavalier when comparing the two.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 12:21 pm

Frolic Through The Park is an album I can still listen to occasionally whereas most straight-ahead thrash releases from the 80s I got bored with and abandoned a couple decades ago.  I heard a few songs from the new album and thought "too bad it doesn't sound like Frolic or Act III".   Razz 

Quote :
"The new Death Angel is so much more angrier, with vocals that just ooze discontent, and the solos are so damn sexy"

Oh yeah, when I think sexy... heavy metal guitar solos are always the first thing that pops to mind.   Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 3:59 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:

I couldn't disagree with you more. I just think it's too sophisticated a metal album for many a listener's ears. It's an intelligent album which breaks away from some formulaic rule of thrash, so then it unfortunately is labeled as their worst record or how you compared it. Bad analogy also; you must have never had anyone close to you die from cancer, otherwise I'm guessing you wouldn't be so cavalier when comparing the two.

Hey man, you can like what you like. I just didn't enjoy it at all, the songwriting was awful, the lyrics were mediocre (even for that time), and the riffs felt as if they were copy and pasted together. As for the whole "sophisticated" thing, I mostly listen to the progressive/technical spectrum of thrash, so I'm more than accustomed to strange/out-there songwriting and the bizarre tempo changes, etc. But "Frolic" was just sloppy.

And maybe I have had someone close die that way, maybe that's my strange way of dealing with it.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 4:02 pm

S.D. wrote:
Oh yeah, when I think sexy... heavy metal guitar solos are always the first thing that pops to mind.   Laughing very hard

Definitely. Nothing makes my pickle stiffer than the guitar stylings of Rob Cavestany.  Razz
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 3:34 am

A lot of the bands listed I can agree with are just as good as the classics.Overkill,Testament,Death Angel,Kreator etc.Not better but just as good.I like newer Hirax better.Like Ult said,I think New Age of Terror is their best.Death would be another good example.Sounds of Perserverance is their best work,IMO.Ill also throw in Shadows Fall.I think they've really evolved over the years into a great metal band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 3:40 am

Opeth
Anathema
Riverside
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 9:58 am

As much of a fan as I am of Exodus (including the stuff most people hate) I do have to say I agree with liking the newer stuff better. I'm certainly more likely to go for those than the older ones these days.

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 10:54 am

Tankard has always improved IMO..STAY THIRSTY!
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 10:57 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Tankard has always improved IMO..STAY THIRSTY!

I need some Tankard. Where should I start?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next