Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.

Go down 
+42
jstate
Thrasher73
metalinmyveins
DakotaRogers
rajah
Hamer12
Citanul
brokentulsa
Wurthless
Lari
Required Fields
candlemass
chewie
MetalGuy71
Chairman_Smith
sovdat
Eyesore
bass63
MetalRob331
nevermore
ZombieHavoc
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
krokus
SideShowDisaSter
metalhead777
jettafiend
Witchfinder
Orion Crystal Ice
MetallicSeminarian
Temple of Blood
Sword Of The Heretic
manny
mc666
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
tohostudios
BearOnUnicycle
choosemetal
corplhicks
ultmetal
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 11:49 pm

jettafiend wrote:
Sinner - the last 2-3 albums are fantastic.

Overkill

Accept - I can't stand Udo's voice, and the last 2 albums were brilliant.

Saxon - these guys have been upping their game with each album since Solid Ball of Rock

Raven - I love Walk through Fire

Ultimatum - Into the Pit is fantastic but the newest 4 tracks are amazing.

Stryper - No More Hell to Pay

Stryper has to be the best example there is. Their music since ATL has been twice that of the bumblebee years.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 12:05 am

Kreator-Just a general improvement in quality, at least in my opinion
Helloween-despite enjoying them through all stages, their latest 3 are still some of their best to me.
Toxic Holocaust-I feel like their newest album is a real "come to form" with its great mix of thrash and Motorhead-ish punk.
Amon Amarth-just person preference really.
Decapitated-I just feel they've become a bit more of themselves in recent releases rather than sounding extremely close to other polish acts like Vader
Edguy/Avantasia-newer stuff fills my need for overproduced catchy metal, I'm not even joking.
Hypocrisy-melodeath era>>>>>>>death metal era
Deicide-personal preference
Meshuggah-personal preference, probably prefer their more groove based riffing as opposed to their thrashier early stuff.
Exodus-personal preference, also haven't heard a large amount of their old stuff.
Naglfar-prefer their newer vocalist by a mile
Symphony X-I can't even remember most of their old material.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 12:07 am

All the new Magma albums very much compete with and sometimes surpass a lot of their old material, although it could be argued it's not technically new since there are degrees of stuff on them which was written a ways back, but still, they sure do bring it on record....
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 12:36 am

Destruction - The Antichrist ranks alongside Sodom's M16, IMO, as some of the best material ever released by either band.

Guillotine - Blood Money flogs the guts out of their old material.

Can't think of any others off the top of my head. Will give it a think and see if any others jump out at me.

Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 12:38 am

Witchfinder wrote:
I want to say Motorhead. If their recent music isn't better than, it's, at the very least, as good as the classic material.

I also think present day Overkill is better than early Overkill.  Maybe.  

This is a tough question.  Aarghhh!!!!!

80's Overkill is tied with the newer Overkill for me. Their 90's stuff I don't really like, I have heard a few songs and it just hasn't clicked for me.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 1:53 am

The deal with Overkill is that they have two distinct styles that they excel at equally. Their thrash is top notch, and their groove (for lack of a better word) is top notch. I could go either way. The only album they ever disappointed me with was WFO and that was purely because of production mishaps.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 4:51 am

tohostudios wrote:
How about Pink Cream 69?  Even though my all-time favorite PC69 song is from the Deris years (Keep Your Eye On The Twisted), the songs are so much stronger since David Readman took over vocals.

Fully agree. And that song is probably my favorite also.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 8:00 am

AVENGED SEVENFOLD and TRIVIUM. They started releasing stuff more then 10 years ago and just now they are releasing some of their best albums yet. They went from Bad to good. Bands like MAIDEN, JUDAS, etc...went from good to bad.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 8:20 am

Quote :
Geoff Tate's latest work in Queensryche has been far beyond the first four albums.

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 715d1348219178-2012-what-my-chances-interview-not-sure-if-serious

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 8:47 am

]
corplhicks wrote:

Geoff Tate's latest work in Queensryche has been far beyond the first four albums.

Surely you jest !
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 8:49 am

I'll agree that Stryper are much better than in the early days. I still don't like them but at least they don't make me want to punch a nun while screaming Hail Satan!!! any more

So that's progress!  Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 8:53 am

Love the post-reunion Maiden albums as much as I love the classic first seven. The material is just as good (all 4 albums.)

Motorhead has been pretty darn consistent over the years and their stuff us just as good.

Stryper's latest is just as good as the early albums too
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 9:32 am

Agreed on Sodom tenfold.

That's really the only one I can think of off the top of my head. I don't agree with most listed in this thread.

I would agree with Exodus if everything has continued as Tempo of the Damned started things. I've enjoyed all their albums since, but Tempo
was pretty close to, if not better than their early stuff. Everything since has been enjoyable but just not quite as good.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 10:45 am

Katatonia for me. I liked the move away from the harsh vocals on the earlier stuff to the clean vocals and songwriting of the band now.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 11:41 am

Primal Fear is a band I've always enjoyed but prefer their newer albums to many of their older...

Rage is another band I really like but much prefer their newer albums

Pretty Maids as previously said in here, has put out two outstanding albums recently

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Saxon is a tough one. They started well, then lulled for a couple albums, but I like everthing starting with Solid Ball of Rock.

I agree with Helloween.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 1:12 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Primal Fear is a band I've always enjoyed but prefer their newer albums to many of their older...

Rage is another band I really like but much prefer their newer albums

Pretty Maids as previously said in here, has put out two outstanding albums recently

Rage is a good one too. Their older albums were outstanding but I actually enjoy their symphonic stuff more.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Helloween. The early stuff is very good, with some absolutely brilliant songs, but from Master of the Rings on, they just slay.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
None!  This is a huge problem in the metal scene.

This isn't a serious reply, right?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Im gonna actually add Prong and Ministry to my list as well..

Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Helloween. The early stuff is very good, with some absolutely brilliant songs, but from Master of the Rings on, they just slay.

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 25679 headbanger 
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 2:33 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
None!  This is a huge problem in the metal scene.

This isn't a serious reply, right?

I pretty much agree with ToB. It seems that musicians run out of steam pretty quick. Of course I do like a lot of newer stuff but, compared to classic albums, these just can't compete.

Bands like Destruction just keep releasing albums every two year but they all sound the same and in my humble opinion they maybe wrote enough material for 1 or 2 albums after the reunion. Similar with Kreator, every album after Violent Revolution sounds just like a watered down version of previous one. Overkill, Sodom, etc. ... Similar stuff. Never albums just don't have the same identity as the older seem to have, at least to me. Speaking of Destruction, each of old albums had it's own sound, as did many other bands/albums.

The only two long(er) lasting bands which delivered later on in their career (from the top of my head, of course there are more) are Judas Priest with Painkiller and Death with Symbolic. Both of 'em kept evolving and progressing through the years while many other just keep stagnating and rehashing same ideas all time so maybe that's why...

Anyhow, just my humble opinion Smile

Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I'll agree that Stryper are much better than in the early days. I still don't like them but at least they don't make me want to punch a nun while screaming Hail Satan!!! any more

So that's progress!  Laughing very hard 

HAHAHA!! This is one of the funniest things I have ever read!
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

I also think present day Overkill is better than early Overkill.  Maybe.  

This is a tough question.  Aarghhh!!!!!

Overkill is another of those bands that I like their new music as much as their early material. I can't say I like it better than those old albums, but just as much for sure. Overkill has rarely disappointed me.

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next