Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.

Go down 
+42
jstate
Thrasher73
metalinmyveins
DakotaRogers
rajah
Hamer12
Citanul
brokentulsa
Wurthless
Lari
Required Fields
candlemass
chewie
MetalGuy71
Chairman_Smith
sovdat
Eyesore
bass63
MetalRob331
nevermore
ZombieHavoc
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
krokus
SideShowDisaSter
metalhead777
jettafiend
Witchfinder
Orion Crystal Ice
MetallicSeminarian
Temple of Blood
Sword Of The Heretic
manny
mc666
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
tohostudios
BearOnUnicycle
choosemetal
corplhicks
ultmetal
46 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Empty
PostSubject: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 4:38 pm

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better than their early/old material.

For me, I love bands like Aerosmith, UFO and Judas Priest, but I'd be lying if I said I like their newer material more than their early stuff.

However, though many disagree with me, I much prefer newer releases from Hirax, Sodom, Accuser and Kreator than their early material.
Hirax - New Age of Terror is their best album IMO.
Kreator, their last few albums have been outstanding IMO.
Accuser, the last three albums have been killer! All have made my top 10 albums in those years.
Sodom, is there a better Sodom album than M-16 or Code Red?

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Those are all great examples, except I still enjoy early Kreator more than their recent efforts (which are damn good). I'm gonna throw Death Angel in there; the latest exceeds their first three entries. And I've never been a huge fan of Onslaught, but VI has commanded every nerve of my attention. Thrash bands just know how to evolve, I guess.

Also I can't say they're better but Accept's past two releases are definitely on par with their best years.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 4:49 pm

HIRAX!!!!!!! Now Hirax this year is becoming one of my favorite bands. I can't wait for their new album.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 4:50 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Those are all great examples, except I still enjoy early Kreator more than their recent efforts (which are damn good). I'm gonna throw Death Angel in there; the latest exceeds their first three entries. And I've never been a huge fan of Onslaught, but VI has commanded every nerve of my attention. Thrash bands just know how to evolve, I guess.

Also I can't say they're better but Accept's past two releases are definitely on par with their best years.

New Accept is great I really like Marks vocals.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 4:54 pm

choosemetal wrote:
HIRAX!!!!!!!  Now Hirax this year is becoming one of my favorite bands. I can't wait for their new album.

Love Hirax but I wonder about the new album without Glenn Rogers writing for them. His songwriting is what really made New Age of Terror, Assassins of War and El Rostro de la Muerte.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Lets try:
Iron Maiden - only Somewhere In Time I completly adore as it is, as a whole album. Other than that I would prefer the reunion albums over the classics any day.
Axel Rudi Pell - basically I like them all, and there is not a single album sticking out either as a pinnacle nor a turd in his discography. Enjoy Gioelli's voice more, and sound quality on albums with him is better, so the prefernce goes to the lnewer stuff.
Axxis - really getting better with age. Utopia might very well be their crowning achievement.
Perhaps Sabaton fits into description, since Primo Victoria and Metalizer are both weaker than other albums they've recorded imo.
Do Sabbath and Pink Floyd count?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 4:57 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:

Sure. Didn't say it had to be metal or thrash.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 5:13 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Lets try:
Iron Maiden - only Somewhere In Time I completly adore as it is, as a whole album. Other than that I would prefer the reunion albums over the classics any day.
Axel Rudi Pell - basically I like them all, and there is not a single album sticking out either as a pinnacle nor a turd in his discography. Enjoy Gioelli's voice more, and sound quality on albums with him is better, so the prefernce goes to the lnewer stuff.
Axxis - really getting better with age. Utopia might very well be their crowning achievement.
Perhaps Sabaton fits into description, since Primo Victoria and Metalizer are both weaker than other albums they've recorded imo.

Good call with Sabaton but are they really a decade old already?

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 5:15 pm

How about Pink Cream 69? Even though my all-time favorite PC69 song is from the Deris years (Keep Your Eye On The Twisted), the songs are so much stronger since David Readman took over vocals.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Pretty Maids. I like the early stuff but think they've improved in the 2000's.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Pretty Maids. I like the early stuff but think they've improved in the 2000's.

Good one.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Carcass is another one. I prefer their last couple of albums as opposed to their early works.

Geoff Tate's latest work in Queensryche has been far beyond the first four albums.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 5:43 pm

ultmetal wrote:
choosemetal wrote:
HIRAX!!!!!!!  Now Hirax this year is becoming one of my favorite bands. I can't wait for their new album.

Love Hirax but I wonder about the new album without Glenn Rogers writing for them. His songwriting is what really made New Age of Terror, Assassins of War and El Rostro de la Muerte.

I have to agree but I heard some new songs being La Boca de la bestia, and Black smoke and it sounded like good ol Hirax to me.

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Sabaton fits into description, since Primo Victoria and Metalizer are both weaker

Actually yes Sabaton started out in 1999. I like Primo Victoria, 80% of the Metalizer doesn't hold up to anything everything else they have put out. but I have to agree  Starting from either Attero Dominatus or Art of War they have gotten better. Carolus Rex is their best album yet. They are working on new material which will be awesome.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 5:52 pm

choosemetal wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
choosemetal wrote:

I have to agree but I heard some new songs being La Boca de la bestia, and Black smoke and it sounded like good ol Hirax to me.

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Sabaton fits into description, since Primo Victoria and Metalizer are both weaker

Actually yes Sabaton started out in 1999. I like Primo Victoria, 80% of the Metalizer doesn't hold up to anything everything else they have put out. but I have to agree  Starting from either Attero Dominatus or Art of War they have gotten better. Carolus Rex is their best album yet. They are working on new material which will be awesome.

Then put me down for Sabaton as well. Primo and Metalizer are both weaker than their later albums IMO.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 6:13 pm

Alcest - Much prefer the stuff 2008 onwards.
Primordial - Prefer the pagan stuff to the early Black Metal
Bathory - Thought that the Nordland albums were his best.
Machine Head - Thought that their last album was their strongest.
Onslaught - Great new record
Carcass - Not really my kind of band but the new record is really good.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Motörhead for me. I think the albums they've released with their current line up are way better than anything from their classic era.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 7:29 pm

mc666 wrote:
Motörhead for me. I think the albums they've released with their current line up are way better than anything from their classic era.

I have to agree 100%
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 7:35 pm

manny wrote:
mc666 wrote:

I have to agree 100%

I thought about listing Motörhead as well, but I love all eras of Motörhead really. They are one of the few bands I would say whose new material is as good as their old material.

Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Therion is the first example I can think of. They started out as death metal, and evolved into symphonic metal, which I really liked.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 8:17 pm

Sword Of The Heretic wrote:
Therion is the first example I can think of. They started out as death metal, and evolved into symphonic metal, which I really liked.
I'd agree with that if you throw out Gothic Kabballah and that awful French pop song thing they did this year.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 8:28 pm

None! This is a huge problem in the metal scene.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Kreator
Accept
Helloween
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 10:24 pm

Grave Digger kills it on almost every new record they put out.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 11:01 pm

I want to say Motorhead. If their recent music isn't better than, it's, at the very least, as good as the classic material.

I also think present day Overkill is better than early Overkill.  Maybe.  

This is a tough question.  Aarghhh!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 11:33 pm

Sinner - the last 2-3 albums are fantastic.

Overkill

Accept - I can't stand Udo's voice, and the last 2 albums were brilliant.

Saxon - these guys have been upping their game with each album since Solid Ball of Rock

Raven - I love Walk through Fire

Ultimatum - Into the Pit is fantastic but the newest 4 tracks are amazing.

Stryper - No More Hell to Pay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.   Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Name some bands who have been around for more than a decade and you like their new material better.
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next