Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!

Go down 
+17
journeyman
nevermore
A Handful of Wayne
metalinmyveins
manny
EmoElmo
Leatherface
MetalGuy71
mc666
Vexer6
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
Boris2008
adrian
Troublezone
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 6:18 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
manny wrote:
I am sorry but I do not see the point in re-recording the album, its fine the way it is, and it just seems pointless to me, especially if you are asking fans to help pony up for this project
Yeah, I already have the album, so I have no interest in a re-record. I'm sure it comes down to the fact that this album was on Elektra Records and the fact that the album has been out of print for awhile now, and that the band sold their lives away to be on a bigger label. Ultimately, fans see through this crap. I'll be shocked if fans give to this project. It's one thing to pay for new material...
Despite the nay sayers, there are probably a lot of people that want it to happen. The funding has already started. This might turn out better than people think. I know there is more than enough Flotz fans to make this happen.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Re-recording isn't anything new. I like the Suicidal Tendencies redo of their first album back in 1993 and Exodus gave Bonded By Blood a fresh makeover not too long ago. Even Testament did First Strike Is Still Deadly which I think is ok, but not great. I say if it makes the bands happy and the fans want to hear an updated modern version, more power to them. We still have the original, no big deal...
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 7:09 pm

The thing I liked about the Ugly Noise pledge and this new one is that they actually price the cd at about what it would cost were it a normal release (15 bucks including shipping.) It feels like you're just pre-ordering the album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 9:35 pm

adrian wrote:
The thing I liked about the Ugly Noise pledge and this new one is that they actually price the cd at about what it would cost were it a normal release (15 bucks including shipping.) It feels like you're just pre-ordering the album.
Plus no greedy record label jerks get a piece of the pie.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Troublezone wrote:
adrian wrote:
Plus no greedy record label jerks get a piece of the pie.
For sure.

By the way, I don't know if anyone else has already pledged but I did and the preproduction sample of PAAB sounds great!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Yea I pledged a few days ago. Sounds cool so far i'm just sure about the vocal part. Not sure he can do the screams.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 10:07 pm

What no one seems to understand about pledgemusic is, that your money is NOT taken until the project is 100% funded by a certain deadline. I don't see the problem in doing this sort of thing especially when they have a lot of cool extras you can get. the money is going to the band and not some record label and they arent asking astronomical amounts of money.

The other day I saw Manowar post that they have a new web shop. So i went to take a look. I noticed they had some signed cds and I was going to grab one until I saw the price of $175!!! Now thats a scam if I ever saw one.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 9:23 pm

I already own this. So I'll pass.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 9:36 pm

If they were going to do something different with the material that might be interesting. Different arrangements, maybe live-in-the-studio, etc. But if it's just a straight re-record with no changes what's the point (aside from financial)?
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Just got my copy today! Really great, Erik AK's vocals are expectedly a little lower most of the time but he still hits those really high notes where they were on the original album.

Also interesting is that they updated the lyrics to Hard on You to be more relevant to today since the PMRC is no longer a thing.

I really am satisfied with it and they actually used jewel cases instead of cheap digipacks this time around!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Will this be available through Metal Blade?
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 8:27 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Metal Blade or Nuclear Blast picks it up just like has happened with the last two albums. Hasn't been any announcement on it yet though

Edit: Some other interesting things: they got Mike Spencer back to do bass on this album (I'm reading that he was the bassist on the pre-production demo of the original album), Mark Simpson did a solo, and Chris Poland does a few solos as well!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 2:11 am

Too bad they didn't get Troy Gregory to do the bass again. He kicked ass on the original.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 7:44 am

It's a sad state of affairs when bands need to re-record albums. The music business needs a rework. I don't have a problem with re-recording, considering the reasons and purpose for doing so. The thing is, it is like rewriting history. The many years of life experiences will undoubtedly filter in, which all together isn't a bad thing, but the essence of the original isn't there. A live studio version or a re-worked version paired with new material would probably be a better way to go. This gives long time fans a fresh look and perspective fans a glimpse into past glories. The music industry is screwed up and we all pay the price for the short sightedness that will undoubtedly leave gaping holes in the collective catalog for future generations.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 9:57 pm

The band should have been able to buy the rights back from Electra. But since they couldn't, they had to do what they needed to.
Back to top Go down
Ravenscraig
Metal student
Metal student
Ravenscraig

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 3:48 am

It totally sucks they don't own the rights to the album.

No Place for Disgrace is in my Top 5 of all-time thrash... so I'm totally on the fence. I love Flotsam and I've been a fan since like forever.

I will see them supporting Sepultura in less than a month! I might as well ask Erik AK what it's all about.

Last edited by Ravenscraig on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.veilofdeception.com
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 3:49 pm

Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Oh cool so Metal Blade did pick it up!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 9:39 pm

adrian wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Oh cool so Metal Blade did pick it up!

And they didn't have to pay for it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 10:12 pm

Supposedly they had planned to reissue a deluxe edition of No Place but the master tapes cannot be located. Whether that is true or not I have no idea.
Back to top Go down
Ravenscraig
Metal student
Metal student
Ravenscraig

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 3:08 am

PAAB doesn't tell me much... anybody have Dreams of Death or Escape from Within?
Back to top Go down
http://www.veilofdeception.com
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Did anybody like / purchase EXODUS' re-recording on Bonded By Blood ("LET THERE BE BLOOD").?
Did you really like it? Do you STILL like it more than the original album?
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:58 pm

PASS!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:

That doesn't sound bad but I prefer the original. This just isn't quite right to my ears. And...what does P.A.A.B. stand for anyhow ?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 9:25 pm

Sounds good. But I'd rather have heard a proper remixing of the original album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!   Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flotsam & Jetsam plan to re-record No Place For Disgrace!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next