Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro

Go down 
+15
DallasBlack
jstate
Required Fields
nevermore
krokus
A Handful of Wayne
Eyesore
Dark Horseman
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
EmoElmo
stormspell
mc666
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Empty
PostSubject: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 2:13 am

was this album really as bad as the reviews suggest? i think it's an amazing record. Erik A.K. especially.... he really shines on this one. thrash? not at all, but some really great metal here!

stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 3:48 am

I think it was similar to Testament's The Ritual - they knew the thrash era is over and didnt know what to do, so they played "safe" writing a heavy metal album. Unfortunately it came quite bland and boring. IMHO at least.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:26 am

Yeah, back in the days when Thrash bands wanted a piece of the Seattle Sound, or at least tone-down a bit in order to cater those Grunge fans

'Cuatro' wasn't their style to begin with ... When you have your favorite band responding to Record Company pressure like that, you know it'll going to suck ... OTOH, I kinda liked 'The Ritual' ...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 8:52 am

Cuatro was my first Flots album. I think it's one of their best and the production is excellent. There was nothing Grunge about it...
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39554

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:51 am

Cuatro was one of my first Flots albums also. Never understood the disdain for it. I think it's great.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 10:01 am

It wasn't my first Flots album, but I got it pretty early on so I never had any issues with it. It's not their best work, but it's certainly not the dog some folks would make you believe.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 10:15 am

mc666 wrote:
was this album really as bad as the reviews suggest?

No, and in fact, I just re-wrote my review of that album.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 11:53 am

I'm not getting the grunge issue, thrash wasn't taking the beating hair metal was, maybe they just wanted to do a different type of album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I'm not getting the grunge issue, thrash wasn't taking the beating hair metal was, maybe they just wanted to do a different type of album.

You don't get it because grunge has NOTHING to do with this. It's a "post-Black Album" release, people seem to forget that Metallica record had ALOT to do with the directional changes similar bands tried post-1991.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 12:13 pm

I don't think it had to do with Grunge. I think the band needed a change in sound. "When the Storm Came Down" was a flop and didn't have the energy or the songs that "Doomsday" or "No Place for Disgrace" had. It was time for a change and "Cuatro" is what they came up with. It's still heavy metal, it's just not thrash metal.

I also agree that Metallica's success might have had a hand in the sound of "Cuatro".

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 1:25 pm

I can see Black album having more influence then grunge. So i'm not totally crazy.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 1:30 pm

I dig this album. I no longer own it, though. Sold all my Flotsam long ago in the Air Force. Been meaning to rectify that.

Anyway, I enjoyed the album quite a bit. But it came out right around the time I was really branching out and exploring other styles of music. All the so-called "sell-out" albums by metal bands came out at that time, so that's why I enjoy them all. Haha. To me, that was the band, you know.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Its a great album some people just don't like change. As long as its done right its fine and this is one of those albums.

Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 2:01 pm

ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:
was this album really as bad as the reviews suggest?

No, and in fact, I just re-wrote my review of that album.
that's good. i look forward to reading it.

krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 3:03 pm

S.D. wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

You don't get it because grunge has NOTHING to do with this. It's a "post-Black Album" release, people seem to forget that Metallica record had ALOT to do with the directional changes similar bands tried post-1991.

+1. Same happend with I HEAR BLACK by OVERKILL or THE RITUAL by TESTAMENT.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 3:24 pm

I think Cuatro is a really good album. Nothing horrible or "grunge-y" about it to me.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:33 pm

I agree with those who say that grunge had nothing to do with so many thrash bands changing their sound. It's not like any of them became grunge bands. A lot of these albums are more in the vein of the Black Album than anything.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Quote :
All the so-called "sell-out" albums by metal bands came out at that time

I always dug all those albums. My take was good for them if it'll break them bigger. If I liked it, why should I hate on them for trying to sell a few more records or reaching a broader audience.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:51 pm

I think the change that most of those bands did in the early 90's was much needed. They had to break up the monotony of just playing fast all the time. Even Slayer eventually joined them when they put out Diabolus in Musica.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Love Cuatro even if it wasn't my first F&H album (which it was). Favorite songs are Double Zero, Natural Enemies, Hypodermic Midnight Snack, Are You Ready, Secret Square, and Swatting At Flies.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:31 pm

I saw F&J on the tour for this album and thought the songs sounded way better live than on disc. I've owned Cuatro twice in the past (once on cassette and again years later on CD) and it didn't do much for me either time.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18924

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 2:36 am

I haven't gave this one a listen in years. Not god awful, but nothing that really clicked with me. Flotsam is a band I think is guilty of trying too hard to be different or original. It's clear that they wanted to distance themselves somewhat from the thrash bands of the time, but the change in direction didn't sound always very natural. Having said that, I'm sure some of their later records were probably worse than this one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 11:02 am

I need this one still. Have seen a copy for 3.99 for the past few weeks and am always tempted but haven't gone for it yet
Back to top Go down
Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 12:53 am

It's a really solid album. Swatting Flies is killer.

Anybody heard the Metal mind remaster? (Not that there's anything wrong with the original version)
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 2:36 am

Troublezone wrote:
I think the change that most of those bands did in the early 90's was much needed. They had to break up the monotony of just playing fast all the time. Even Slayer eventually joined them when they put out Diabolus in Musica.
Slayer might have even been first with South of Heaven. but yeah, i agree. albums like Sound of White Noise, The Ritual, Distortion, Act III, Something Wicked this Way Comes, Countdown To Extinction, Reborn Dogs, Art of Rebellion, Force of Habit, Metallica, Cuatro, Renewal, I Hear Black, & King of the Kill were very important in continuing the genre, without just copying it.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro   Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next