Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?

Go down 
+14
mc666
Leatherface
nevermore
thejokeriv
ultmetal
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
Lari
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
Short-Fuse
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Empty
PostSubject: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 3:19 pm

Do you flash the "devil's horns" at concerts or other situations? Has it become way too mainstream, when even politicians or non-metal musicians such as Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift or even generic rock bands are seen sporting it. We all know the supposed Dio origins of said horns-also the supposed occult use, but what's your opinion? Does the horns truly represent a symbolic representation of heavy metal (or the devil)? I find it to be occasionally uncomfortable to actually do it anymore-it's been co-opted and commercialized to the point that I think it's lost it's original meaning. Should metal adapt a new symbol? I also find it ironic that when you do the horns upside down it resembles an "M" ( for Metal obviously). What other gesture could we possibly use to replace it?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 3:22 pm

Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? X-all-the-things-meme-generator-overanalyze-all-the-things-08707c

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37676

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 3:24 pm

^^ Laughing very hard What Shawn said.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Its still a metal symbol and YES
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 3:30 pm

Sure. Mostly at work or social gatherings. It still tends to make people feel uncomfortable and not get too close to me.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6342

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 3:33 pm

The future is this:

Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZp5SK5Ah2AgwZzZb2EBZMhwynq_QrLQfNzN6b368az0HHWd0uMg Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? 2Q==
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? X-all-the-things-meme-generator-overanalyze-all-the-things-08707c
Laughing very hard 

And yes I do. Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? 604261 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 3:39 pm

The simple and direct "raised fist" works good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
^^  Laughing very hard What Shawn said.
So, I take it you gentlemen are opposed to critical thinking? So, I should just take everything at face value? This reeks of anti-intellectualism. At what point do you gentlemen feel topics become "over analyzed"? Why are you insulting my topic and laughing at me? Can you not respond to the topic without being rude or would that hurt your brain? just kidding 
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 3:56 pm

Short-Fuse wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
^^  Laughing very hard What Shawn said.
So, I take it you gentlemen are opposed to critical thinking? So, I should just take everything at face value? This reeks of anti-intellectualism. At what point do you gentlemen feel topics become "over analyzed"? Why are you insulting my topic and laughing at me? Can you not respond to the topic without being rude or would that hurt your brain? just kidding 
In my experience, thinking critically is only beneficial when it's applied to topics that matter. Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? 438278 

Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Well it does matter to me. As a christian, the last thing I want is to show allegiance to the devil.
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:05 pm

This would be a good thing to ask Scott of Ultimatum, since he's in a Christian metal band. I've never seen a picture of him doing it...
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:06 pm

^^^^^ I don't think this is real
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:11 pm

I hear that the tooth fairy is a pretty nasty character too, be careful not to leave any change under your pillow.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37676

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Quote :
So, I should just take everything at face value? This reeks of anti-intellectualism. At what point do you gentlemen feel topics become "over analyzed"? Why are you insulting my topic and laughing at me? Can you not respond to the topic without being rude or would that hurt your brain?
Wow, you really DO have a "Short Fuse." So... it's not just a clever name.

Quote :
As a christian, the last thing I want is to show allegiance to the devil.
Oooookay, that sinks it. I'm leavin'. (Exits, stage left)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:13 pm

Short-Fuse wrote:
Well it does matter to me. As a christian, the last thing I want is to show allegiance to the devil.
Look up the origins of the "horns," which actually don't represent horns. They have nothing to do with the devil or religion, no matter what the satanic church wants you to believe. Best place to start is look for interviews with Dio on the subject.

There is at least one picture on NLTM of Scott flashing the horns, can't remember where it is.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:33 pm

corplhicks wrote:

There is at least one picture on NLTM of Scott flashing the horns, can't remember where it is.
View the evil here (twice!!)

http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/ultimatum.htm

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:40 pm

For years I stayed away from using the "horned salute". I can certainly understand why a Christian wouldn't want to associate with that symbolism Short-Fuse. In an of themselves symbols are meaningless and have no power whatsoever. As I Christian I hold to the Scripture, "Greater is He who is in me than he that is in the world". I was at a UNM football game and everyone in the crowd was doing the devil horns thing, including the cheer leaders. It was only slightly different from how most metal fans do the sign. It was a symbol of the school, and was suppose to look like a lobo (wolf). So to the school it has a completely different meaning than it does to metal fans.

Gene Simmons has been doing a similar salute since the 70's as well, holding his pick with his middle fingers and extending the outer fingers and thumb. In sign language this actually means "I love you", but to Simmons it was just a 'salute to the crowd'.

Basically I see the \m/ salute as meaning "METAL!" and not anything demonic or evil. I've done the salute from stage many times.

Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? C01_jd_09dec_murano

Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Gene_simmons_retro

Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? 149592_109739069091511_1070595_n

Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? 25786_380073344336_3602550_n

Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:43 pm

According to the Wikipedia page it's also a symbol for cuckoldry. So, it seems to have many negative connotations at any rate. From the Wikipedia page : "In Italy, when directed towards someone, the sign implies cuckoldry; the common Italian word for cuckolded is cornuto, literally "horned".
Of course you can't be assured of any thing you read in Wikipedia, but it's interesting none the less.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:47 pm

If something means everything then it can't mean anything.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:48 pm

It's a symbol and like any other symbol can have many different meanings. Dio told stories of his grandmother using it as it was suppose to 'ward off demons' or something like that.

The cross is a symbol as well. Depending on who you ask it will have different meanings. Upside down many people today seem to think it's a Satanic symbol. However, even the upside down cross was originally a Christian symbol and is still used and recognized by the Catholic church as representing the death of Peter, who was believed to be crucified upside-down as he did not think himself worthy to die in the same manner as his Savior.

It's an interesting discussion nonetheless.

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:49 pm

"I leave symbols to the symbol-minded" - George Carlin

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:54 pm

Could be horns on a steer for all I know........At least, that is what the University of Texas thinks. Dio, who made the horns popular in Metal took them from his grandma who used it as a sign to wart off evil.

I have no issue with flashing the horns and it is far from showing "allegiance to the devil"
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 5:04 pm

I used to wear the peace symbol as a kid and all the elders at church loved to tell me that it was the 'broken cross' turned upside down. Even got a tract on it one time.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 5:24 pm

I found this blog/article on the subject while searching for that photo of Gene Simmons...
http://thedaily23.blogspot.com/2010/04/is-sign-of-horns-hand-gesture-satanic.html

PostSubject: Re: Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?   Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you flash the "Devil's Horns"?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next