Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn

Go down 
+5
Lurideath
Wrecked Neck
Boris2008
Temple of Blood
Witchfinder
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Empty
PostSubject: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 12:55 pm

I don't know if anyone else watches these, but Sam Dunn has a cool video series on youtube that dissects his metal family tree and tries to update it.  If you like to argue about what band belongs in what genre this if for you.  The latest video is my favorite genre - NWOBHM - and yes, it's loaded up with people saying nuh-wob-um, but Martin Popoff is the guest and he's certainly an expert in the field.

How about thrash?

Power Metal?

Doom?

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Thrash metal debate with who?

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 12:59 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Thrash metal debate with who?

The format is Sam is the host, there is one guest who is an expert in the genre, and people text in their comments. It's a live show on Facebook that they record and put on Youtube. They attempt to come to a consensus and update the bands on the tree.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 1:09 pm

Right. Does this guy seem like an expert on thrash to you?

I would love to see something like this with someone like Lilker or Hoglan.

Also, do you consider Anvil to be a thrash band?

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 2:23 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Right.  Does this guy seem like an expert on thrash to you?

That would be cool, but it seems like these are all guys that are from the Toronto metal scene where Sam is based.

Do I consider Anvil a thrash band? No.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Right.  Does this guy seem like an expert on thrash to you?

Pointless arguing about it when those two think that Tankard were more influential than Holy Moses (who influenced black metal in so many ways). Even if you love Tankard, it's difficult to see that they influenced anyone.

The unforgivable things here though were the omissions of Dark Angel, Possessed and Coroner and the inclusion of Metal Church, Exciter and Anvil.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 2:55 pm

Listening to these guys is annoying. They really don't know what they're talking about.

Sam Dunn does the best job out of everyone though. Far superior to Eddie Trunk.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 6:51 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Listening to these guys is annoying.  They really don't know what they're talking about.

Sam Dunn does the best job out of everyone though.  Far superior to Eddie Trunk.

The most annoying and clueless of the lot of them are the so called doom experts. Not a single clue between them.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 4:54 am

I get tired of all the genre talk dealing with metal bands, so I doubt I'd be interested much in that. I did like his documentary metal evolution though.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 6:15 pm

That thrash metal debate is full on bullshit. Pantera are NOT thrash! I try not to let these things bother me, but F^^^ THAT!!!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 8:17 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Listening to these guys is annoying.  They really don't know what they're talking about.

Sam Dunn does the best job out of everyone though.  Far superior to Eddie Trunk.

The most annoying and clueless of the lot of them are the so called doom experts. Not a single clue between them.

I have watched the doom episode and wasn't very impressed with their knowledge on the subject. So I haven't bothered to watch any other episode.
Back to top Go down
stpatrik
Metal student
Metal student
stpatrik

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Here's the one on Glam Metal:

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 5:02 pm

I've watched a bunch of them, some of them during the live streaming. I enjoy them.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 6:55 pm

This Thread introduced me to these videos and now I find myself binge watching them. Whether I agree or disagree they're very entertaining.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn   Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lock Horns - Video Series With Sam Dunn
Page 1 of 1