Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Have started listening to Christian Metal

Go down 
+38
Sword Of The Heretic
James B.
Svengo
choosemetal
Sutekh
jstate
manny
TheGreatDuck
kmorg
mc666
GrandNational
tul
jettafiend
SAHB Healer
Hadley
Lurideath
mr.electric39
MetallicSeminarian
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
bgsully
Addy
Dark Horseman
BearOnUnicycle
Tur-Thalion
MoonChild
exact33
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
stepcousin
Eyesore
ultmetal
Orion Crystal Ice
Boris2008
Stender
corplhicks
Alex Dee Rokket
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 7:57 am

corplhicks wrote:
King James and Joshua weren't bad if you like the metallic AOR stuff. Fabulous guitarists, although I never really cared for Whitecross...too derivative of Ratt and VH and that stupid In the Kingdom ballad was awful.
"We're alive! We are strong! We're a nation! We belong! Let us all stand together in the kingdom!!!"
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:14 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
King James and Joshua weren't bad if you like the metallic AOR stuff. Fabulous guitarists, although I never really cared for Whitecross...too derivative of Ratt and VH and that stupid In the Kingdom ballad was awful.
"We're alive! We are strong! We're a nation! We belong! Let us all stand together in the kingdom!!!"
sick 
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:30 pm

corplhicks wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
sick 

You're welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 602

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm a huge Petra fanboy, and have been since I discovered them in 1991, back when I was still in 8th grade. Lots of nostalgia for me. I love the older stuff as much as the newer stuff, even though the styles are miles apart from each other.

Same goes for Disciple. A lot of folks have given them crap since they put out their self titled back in 2005 up to today. Again, like Petra, I have learned to appreciate all of their albums, and all of them have ministered to me in one way or another.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
For the longest time I avoided Christian Metal as though it was infected with leprosy but I don't know why... Admittedly I had preconceived ideas about this whole sub-genre. I didn't like the idea, I felt like metal had to be "dark" sounding for me to enjoy it.
Christian metal is cool. Still retains that underground feel that is long lost for most other types of metal.

Myself, I cannot say I'm a religious man but I find the lyrics refreshing and interesting.

I wonder how many people who were not born or raised Christian actually listen to Christian metal?
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Lari wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
For the longest time I avoided Christian Metal as though it was infected with leprosy but I don't know why... Admittedly I had preconceived ideas about this whole sub-genre. I didn't like the idea, I felt like metal had to be "dark" sounding for me to enjoy it.
Christian metal is cool. Still retains that underground feel that is long lost for most other types of metal.

Myself, I cannot say I'm a religious man but I find the lyrics refreshing and interesting.

I wonder how many people who were not born or raised Christian actually listen to Christian metal?
Here, here! I hardly ever focus on lyrics so it doesn't make any difference to me whether a band is Christian or not. Not that it should matter btw.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 6:57 am

exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

But that music video!

Laughing very hard Priceless!!

I remember years 'n' years ago, I walked into a newly-opened Christian book/music store near my college and asked the girl behind the counter if they had any stuff by Christian metal bands... her reply was "Hummm... I think we've got some Petra."

I think I offended her when I replied "PETRA ISN'T METAL!" in a horrified tone of voice. Very Happy
i dont like being a genre snob but you are right - Petra is not metal, Petra means rock Smile
HAHAHA Literally too
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Louder
Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 8:56 am

corplhicks wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Beat the system was horrid, drum machines, programmed keyboards.....
But that music video!

I love Beat The System.  My little sister didn't, though--probably because I would often change the lyrics to "...dare to beat your sister".  
I still sing it that way.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 10:36 am

Sword Of The Heretic wrote:
I'm a huge Petra fanboy, and have been since I discovered them in 1991, back when I was still in 8th grade. Lots of nostalgia for me. I love the older stuff as much as the newer stuff, even though the styles are miles apart from each other.
Ditto, although I will say that Unseen Power is my favorite album by far. They have not released a clunker album, and each one has solid stuff on it. My into to Petra was Beyond Belief back in 8th grade. It was the first cassette that I bought with my own money. Shortly after a girl my mom babysat gave me Never Say Die and my Uncle gave me On Fire. I like all the era's of Petra personally.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 11:53 am

jettafiend wrote:
Ditto, although I will say that Unseen Power is my favorite album by far. They have not released a clunker album, and each one has solid stuff on it. My into to Petra was Beyond Belief back in 8th grade. It was the first cassette that I bought with my own money. Shortly after a girl my mom babysat gave me Never Say Die and my Uncle gave me On Fire. I like all the era's of Petra personally.
the whole era starting with This Means War! and ending with Wake Up Call is great, what I believe is the second great period after Washes Whiter Than to Not of This World. No Doubt was pretty weak but I did like God Fixation. Jekyll was kinda meh.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Louder wrote:

I love Beat The System.  My little sister didn't, though--probably because I would often change the lyrics to "...dare to beat your sister".  
Now why didn't I think about that? lol! 

Anyway Jekyll was supposed to be their big comeback album and really it was just another grungy heavy rock album. Very blase. Those praise albums drove me up the wall as well.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 1:57 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Louder wrote:

Anyway Jekyll was supposed to be their big comeback album and really it was just another grungy heavy rock album. Very blase. Those praise albums drove me up the wall as well.

While Jekyll and Hyde is far from a favorite, I think it's got some killer riffs and Schlitt sounds fantastic, as usual. The only Petra album I actively dislike is Double Take.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 7:37 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Louder wrote:

While Jekyll and Hyde is far from a favorite, I think it's got some killer riffs and Schlitt sounds fantastic, as usual. The only Petra album I actively dislike is Double Take.
double take is really really bad.

Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 8:01 pm

I couldnt really get into God Fixation, sounded too much like 90s adult alternative to me (think toad the wet sprocket or gin blossoms or bands like that). I thought an underrated Petra album was Unseen Power. Not as good as its predecessor Beyond Belief or its follow up Wake Up Call, but a solid album (though admittedly it did take some time to get into), that just happened to be placed between two excellent albums.
Back to top Go down
Singwhatyoucan'tsay
Metal novice
Metal novice
Singwhatyoucan'tsay

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 pm

I bought a Petra greatest hits album, expecting something heavy, then got home and realized I'd bought a rock album! I like it, but I was disappointing because my expectations were so high.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 602

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Hey, sing, are you Bridget from the goth.net boards?
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:02 am

A nice band:
Back to top Go down
Singwhatyoucan'tsay
Metal novice
Metal novice
Singwhatyoucan'tsay

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 8:39 am

Yes, that's me! I haven't been on there in months, I should probably go back and see what's going on. I used to be on the CMR as well.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 pm

another good one:

Chryztyne Tales of Paradise

Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 8:46 am

Singwhatyoucan'tsay wrote:
Yes, that's me!  I haven't been on there in months, I should probably go back and see what's going on.  I used to be on the CMR as well.
I've been part of the CMR for years, but haven't been on in maybe six months. Anyway, welcome to this board!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 9:16 am

Years ago (I think I was still in high school), I was at Six Flags Great Adventure amusement park in New Jersey on a day when Petra was playing a concert there. I didn't stick around for their show, but it was very odd seeing Petra t-shirts on nearly everyone that walked by for the entire day. Up till then I don't think I'd ever seen a Petra t-shirt. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 9:39 am

I was around 13, I hung out with this youth group and the youth minister ( great guy, still friends with him as a matter a fact) tired to steer me a way from secular rock and bought me two Petra albums. One them had a song 'Stand Up' ( Stand up!!/Take a stand up for Jesus) and the follow up album, personally I couldn't stand them.

He had a little more success, talking me into liking Stryper. Still not a huge fan, but they were at least decent. Plus I thought it was a bit weird to have a Christian metal band, that did not just play with other Chrisitan bands or Christian venues such as churches etc.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 10:11 am

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
A nice band:
I like this band quite a bit. Have a couple extra copies of the CD reissue of this for sale/trade if anyone is interested.

Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 10:34 am

How about some Christian un-black metal, Frost Like Ashes?
Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 6009_photo
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 11:20 am

Christian black metal, ANTESTOR seems to be pretty popular.

PostSubject: Re: Have started listening to Christian Metal   Have started listening to Christian Metal - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Have started listening to Christian Metal
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next