Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?

Go down 
+15
Stender
Wurthless
mc666
metalheaded
ultmetal
MetalRob331
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
Boris2008
ElectricEye93
ZombieHavoc
MetalGuy71
corplhicks
Orion Crystal Ice
Short-Fuse
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 11:18 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
priceless!!! lol! Sad that it has to be a church story though, but what can you do. lol! 
metalheaded wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Sooooo I led worship for a youth group once upon a time, during my more religious years. Pretty sizable group on the posh side of town, good kids, a little higher on the confidence scale for Fresno. Anyway, after mid-week service a bunch of us would get together and draw for one lucky person's CD to be played uber-loud over the PA. Being worship leader and mentor I usually just shied away from this and listened with the kids. Sure enough, this topic came up when I slipped and asked if they were getting bored of all the bands sounding the same (lots of screamo and post-punk, Vans festival or whatever you call it type shit). THE WHOLE CROWD of fifteen-to-nineteen-year-olds turned on me with something along the lines of "dude this is heavy metal, it's not about that, it's about being heavy and loud, yo," etc. So I shrugged. Kid who won that night had Lostprophets. While they 'moshed' and cranked Last Train Home up, I went out to my Camaro and grabbed Slayer, switched Lostprophets off, and spun Criminally Insane.

Room went quiet. No 'moshing.' I just stood in the corner.

When all was over, an uncomfortable silence hung in the air, and one of the kids looked at me to say "What is wrong with you, man? That's messed up."

BOOM. Phone call the next day from worship pastor. Angry parents questioning what I did. Kids feeling uncomfortable around me. Is was really the beginning of the end of my job there. In the end, I asked one of the kids why everyone was so uncomfortable after I did that, to which he replied, "that was some scary stuff you put in there, man. You're a worship leader." I asked him if I had at least made my point.

"Well," he mentioned, rubbing the back of his neck, "that's the funny thing. You think you could burn that CD for me and a couple buddies?"
Dude...now THAT was awesome.  I've done similar things in a Baptist church I went to years ago...played full-on real metal over the PA.  And in the sanctuary, too!  OH, NO!!
It's a great way to stir things up, and virtually every church...I've been through a dozen of them...reacts the same way. Their version of rock n roll are those trite cruise ship beach party anthems with all the smiles and glitter. phhbbbt. SLAYER BITCH. But seriously, I have many church stories, and the metal ones are the best Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 11:22 pm

I met my friend Ben/Skyliner drummer at youth group, and we would always bring music and trade and stuff, and he sometimes also played drums for a random service and so was sometimes practicing in the sanctuary, so I would always go along and one Wednesday I put in 'Ride The Sky' by Helloween and sang along in the PA until the people outside kicked us out.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 11:28 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I met my friend Ben/Skyliner drummer at youth group, and we would always bring music and trade and stuff, and he sometimes also played drums for a random service and so was sometimes practicing in the sanctuary, so I would always go along and one Wednesday I put in 'Ride The Sky' by Helloween and sang along in the PA until the people outside kicked us out.
tr00 
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 6:52 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Nice!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 9:29 am

I love metalcore. BMTH is a decent enough band, but not outstanding.

Saying all metalcore sounds the same, is like saying all thrash metal sounds the same.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:31 pm

mc666 wrote:

Saying all metalcore sounds the same, is like saying all thrash metal sounds the same.
I know. I was joking but everyone was waiting for someone to say it.

I will say that thrash has a much wider range of vocal styles than metalcore. All metalcore vocalists strive for that same style of 'waaaaarrrrgh' vocals. Back in 2004 I was walking through the middle of Cornerstone Festival in Illinois and as I passed by the various stages it seemed like there was a metalcore band on every stage. It almost sounded like the same vocalist was on all the stages at the same time. I realize it's more because I'm not a fan of the music and don't pick up on the various nuances and differences, but I found it funny at the time. :-)

I don't hate all metalcore. I like a handful of bands here and there. I just rarely find a band that grabs my attention and holds it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:43 pm

They need to understand what metal is before deliberately trying to play an offshoot of it. There's just too many bands that have this idea of emulating some genre or subgenre and completely missing the boat on passion and also not knowing the history.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 11:32 pm

I can somewhat agree with OCI here, metalcore (or more specifically, trendy melodic metalcore) is hilariously watered down to the point of there neither being much metal -- or hardcore influence left.

I've found that both the purest forms of metalcore (Converge, Botch, Poison the Well, etc) and the proggier side of the genre (Between the Buried and Me, Protest the Hero, Misery Signals, Dillinger, etc) are what draw me in. The middle ground, such as Bring Me to the Horizon, early Avenged Sevenfold, and BFMV is what turns me off.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 1:05 am

ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:

I know. I was joking but everyone was waiting for someone to say it.

I will say that thrash has a much wider range of vocal styles than metalcore. All metalcore vocalists strive for that same style of 'waaaaarrrrgh' vocals. Back in 2004 I was walking through the middle of Cornerstone Festival in Illinois and as I passed by the various stages it seemed like there was a metalcore band on every stage. It almost sounded like the same vocalist was on all the stages at the same time. I realize it's more because I'm not a fan of the music and don't pick up on the various nuances and differences, but I found it funny at the time. :-)

I don't hate all metalcore. I like a handful of bands here and there. I just rarely find a band that grabs my attention and holds it.
Not much changed between 2004 and 2012..
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 8:02 am

another short lived band. nobody cares bout in 10 yrs nor in 30yrs.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 8:53 am

Can't it be both amazing metalcore and terrible false metal? I don't think those things are mutually exclusive.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 9:38 am

You must find...another shrubbery!

Then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must place it here beside this shrubbery, only slightly higher so you get the two-level effect with a little path running down the middle.

Then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... with... a herring!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Cut down a tree with a herring? It can't be done.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Is this from a movie?

Suspect 

Die Hard? Dick Tracy? Doctor Zhivago?
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Holy Crap, you don't know that movie? What do they teach youngster nowadays.

(Holy Grail)

Someday all this will be yours.

The Curtains?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Yeah, I'm just being obnoxious. \'arry \'eadbanger 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:24 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Yeah, I'm just being obnoxious. \'arry \'eadbanger 
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Well, I fart in your general direction.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 6:08 pm

I hate all metalcore. Ever notice how almost every damn metalcore singer sounds like Phil Anselmo?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 6:15 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I hate all metalcore. Ever notice how almost every damn metalcore singer sounds like Phil Anselmo?
C'mon, now, Phil's a little more unique than that.

But love Phil or hate Phil, he has the douchiest manner of talking. Kind of like a metal pimp?
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 6:20 pm

I'm in no way a fan of Pantera or Superjoint or what that movement wrought/inspired, but I've seen some really recent videos of Phil and he seems very honestly far more healthy in mind and attitude than I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I'm in no way a fan of Pantera or Superjoint or what that movement wrought/inspired, but I've seen some really recent videos of Phil and he seems very honestly far more healthy in mind and attitude than I've ever seen.
I'll have to check them out. I saw him on TMS when he was a guest. He was in no way unlikable (I kind of dig the guy's musical enthusiasm) but remarkable how forced and excessively masculine he comes across. Kind of like when Joe has testosterone rage on Family Guy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 6:25 pm

I had the displeasure of meeting Phil once, let's just say I wouldn't piss on that motherf*cker if he was on fire.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 1:02 am

I've always read that he could be a real d*ck, but a bunch of us smoked a joint with him after a Superjoint show a few years ago & he was cool as hell with us

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 1:32 am

I'm pretty sure there was some heavy substance abuse (hard shit) involved when I met him, this was near the end of his run with Pantera.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?   Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bring Me the Horizon-terrible false metal or amazing metalcore?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next