Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!

Go down 
+23
Eyesore
BearOnUnicycle
ishfar
Wargod
Wurthless
Citanul
MetallicSeminarian
akeldama
Orion Crystal Ice
James B.
bgsully
AutumnShantel
Addy
brokentulsa
manny
tohostudios
Lari
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
bass63
corplhicks
Boris2008
MetalRob331
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Eddie has great riffs. But it's not about what he writes per se. It's what he does with them. Kind of like how Iommi takes his riffs and shakes the hell out of them? Well, Ed takes his and shakes them, breaks them, beats them, rapes them, grates them, and squeezes them hard until the piss is gone. They're kamikaze, out of control, suicidal, manic, maniacal, OTT, psycho, ready to kill. He doesn't just find a good riff and play it, he maximizes and exploits it. Remember Take Your Whisky Home? How nasty and decadent it sounds? Or the end of Light Up the Sky? Like a fuckin chromatic roller coaster? That kind of energy and abandon was unprecedented at the time, and still unmatched by most. Also worth noting is how most of the Roth catalog is instantly recognizable.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:59 pm

bgsully wrote:
I'm not really a VH fan....but I guess I would pick Jump.

Jump is just soooo fun and amazing sounding...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:11 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
bgsully wrote:
I'm not really a VH fan....but I guess I would pick Jump.

Jump is just soooo fun and amazing sounding...

Jump is fun, but 1984 is my least favorite of the Roth albums. Panama and Hot for Teacher are incredible, but the rest of the album isn't as memorable as the earlier work. Plus the production was cleaned up too much on purpose, dialing down that badass brown sound. Of course, you can also hear the tensions between Dave and Ed (and Ted) throughout.

Here's a fun activity: track down their Gene Simmons-produced demo boot (titled "Zero"). It's a fun listen, sounds great (although Ted captured the band with greater accuracy), and you get to hear House of Pain (from 1984) with double bass.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:21 am

corplhicks wrote:
Eddie has great riffs. But it's not about what he writes per se. It's what he does with them. Kind of like how Iommi takes his riffs and shakes the hell out of them? Well, Ed takes his and shakes them, breaks them, beats them, rapes them, grates them, and squeezes them hard until the piss is gone. They're kamikaze, out of control, suicidal, manic, maniacal, OTT, psycho, ready to kill. He doesn't just find a good riff and play it, he maximizes and exploits it. Remember Take Your Whisky Home? How nasty and decadent it sounds? Or the end of Light Up the Sky? Like a fuckin chromatic roller coaster? That kind of energy and abandon was unprecedented at the time, and still unmatched by most. Also worth noting is how most of the Roth catalog is instantly recognizable.

He def had a sound of his own... You a Nuno fan?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:40 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

He def had a sound of his own...  You a Nuno fan?

You know, I want to say yes, but I've heard two Extreme songs, which yes is very weird. I really need to explore their catalog at some point. Regardless, I've heard so much about him, and the dude plays Carvin which at the time was unheard of in the metal world (Carvin was big in Jazz and World). Badass guitars.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 1:28 am

MANNNNNNNNN!!! If you love EVH that much Nuno is him with funk hahaha!!
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 2:49 am

Lari wrote:
The thread title reads FAVORITE SOLO IS BY GUITARIST.

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is bugged by things like that.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 2:13 pm

Moving on to Jimmy Page....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Tea For One from Presence (1976)

Not just the guitar solo (which is gorgeous), but all the guitar work throughout the song. A textbook lesson in restraint.

Always loved the little lick he plays at the 5:35 mark.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 2:29 pm

I know I'm being basic here, but Heartbreaker. I had heard it before Eruption. A huge foundation for me.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:16 pm

Tea for One is killer as is Heartbreaker... Imma have to dig and relisten to some of my favs cuz Jimmy has a few gems...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:31 pm

Got to go with this one...

Stairway to Heaven is up there as well as Black Dog but Ive heard them too many times...
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:34 pm

'Levee'
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 4:10 pm

No Quarter. That song is already haunting....Page's solo accents it nicely.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Van Halen - Eruption

Jimmy Page - I can't say. I was thinking of the Rover, maybe.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 8:56 pm

Page's tone selected for each solo is just as much of an impact as the notes and/or scales he plays in them. I dig "Tea For One" alot but then you can't overlook the subtleness found in 'All Of My Love". Page has always been one of my favorite players and I miss the improv aspect found in those first couple of tours when they hit the scene. As time went on, he got sloppy in the live setting but only a few can compare to what he did in the studio, both as a player and producer. Genius applies in so many ways, but being human....the man was fallible.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 3:53 pm

Moving on to one of my fav players out there... Neal Schon
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 4:31 pm

I haven't had a lot of exposure to Journey, and of those I like a total of four songs; however, the solo in "I'll Be Allright Without You" is great!
...That's baby making music right there. lol!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Tough one, so many to choose from. It would have to be between Who's Crying Now, Send Her my Love, and Stone in Love. A very underrated guitar player. I've yet to hear his solo output.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 4:46 pm

very hard to choose... lots of great Journey...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 5:06 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Tough one, so many to choose from. It would have to be between Who's Crying Now, Send Her my Love, and Stone in Love. A very underrated guitar player. I've yet to hear his solo output.
His work with Soto in Soul SirkUS is stellar and his solo albums are very moving and they have a ton of different themes to choose from.   Irish Field is one fine lil minute epic guitar masterpiece and he also does an album full of HUGE HITS on guitar and uses it as his "Voice" which is the title of the album...

:O  AMAZING SOLO!!!  

Lights would be my fav Schon solo followed by Stone in Love and New Position...
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Santana
Schon & Hammer
HSAS
Hardline
Bad English

Never knew the Soul Sirkus was w/ Soto (thanks) gonna have to scope on that

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 5:14 pm

James B. wrote:
Santana
Schon & Hammer
HSAS
Hardline
Bad English

I forgot he played with Santana.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 5:51 pm

James B. wrote:
Santana
Schon & Hammer
HSAS
Hardline
Bad English

That's a super band and then some.. I mean you have the great Virgil Donati on drums.. That guy is humble 
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 6:46 pm

"Mother, Father."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!
Page 4 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next