Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!

Go down 
+23
Eyesore
BearOnUnicycle
ishfar
Wargod
Wurthless
Citanul
MetallicSeminarian
akeldama
Orion Crystal Ice
James B.
bgsully
AutumnShantel
Addy
brokentulsa
manny
tohostudios
Lari
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
bass63
corplhicks
Boris2008
MetalRob331
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 6:26 am

For Slash it would be either the opening riff for Sweet Child O Mine or for Don't Damn Me
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 11:35 am

November Rain for me. It accentuates the feel of the song so well.
Back to top Go down
AutumnShantel
Metal novice
Metal novice
AutumnShantel

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:06 am

For Ritchie Blackmore, I choose Snake Charmer (partially because the bass line is equally as awesome as the guitar). With Catch the Rainbow second, or maybe tied...
As for Slash, I'd have to say Rocket Queen live, after the song changes three quarters of the way through. I get chills every time I hear it, even though I'm completely burnt out from GNR.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 11:07 am

Blackmore - Highway star
Slash - sweet child o' mine

Both over played songs, but completely unforgettable solos.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 1:17 pm

I love it in Highway Star when he goes deckadeckadeckadeckeadeckadeckadecka ah forget it...
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:31 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I love it in Highway Star when he goes deckadeckadeckadeckeadeckadeckadecka ah forget it...

lol! 

I love that part too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 3:03 pm

moving on to the next.. Richie Sambora...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 3:40 pm

I like Bon Jovi, but I can't think of a single solo that stands out to me as outstanding. IMO he plays strickly for the song, not much in showcasing his guitar skills

Last edited by manny on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 4:04 pm

manny wrote:
I like Bon Jovi, but I can't think of a single solo that stands out to me as outstanding. IMO he plays stickly for the song, not much in showcasing his guitar skills

Very true though I'm not a fan of Bon Jovi. HOWEVER.

If there is one time Sambora truly stood out, it was Bed of Roses. Someone here has to agree with me when I say that is one of the most passionate rock ballad solos out there.

Richie's also not a very complex player; his stuff is pretty simple. Mostly pentatonic work. But he's good still, miles above DeVille and Mars.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 4:40 pm

corplhicks wrote:
. But he's good still, miles above DeVille and Mars.

I have the opposite opinion, Sambora is miles below DeVille and an ocean away from Mick Mars. DeVille has chops galore but liked to cop Cheap Trick riffs. Mars had that Ace Frehley thang going on...played the solo for the song and alot of the solos were many songs in themselves (IMHDO)

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 4:53 pm

You guys def need to listen to more Sambora........ Sambora > Mars and Deville COMBINED!!!

My fav solo and one of my fav songs and solos of all time are in this song right here... Solo starts at around 6min mark...

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 4:54 pm

James B. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I have the opposite opinion, Sambora is miles below DeVille and an ocean away from Mick Mars.  DeVille has chops galore but liked to cop Cheap Trick riffs.   Mars had that Ace Frehley thang going on...played the solo for the song and alot of the solos were many songs in themselves (IMHDO)

I will say that is strange, sir. As an average guitarist, these are my observations:

Sambora: learned to fluently play all solos from Crossroads collection in a day.

DeVille: learned to fluently play all of Open Up and Say Ah in an hour.

Mick Mars: learned to fluently play all hits off of Decade of Decadence immediately after hearing them, on the first try.

Again, my playing has always been very average; I am still unable to nail a single EVH solo. One thing I will say for Mars is that he was a decent riff man, especially early on. I agree strongly with the DeVille/Cheap Trick comparison.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 4:59 pm

corplhicks wrote:
James B. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I have the opposite opinion, Sambora is miles below DeVille and an ocean away from Mick Mars.  DeVille has chops galore but liked to cop Cheap Trick riffs.   Mars had that Ace Frehley thang going on...played the solo for the song and alot of the solos were many songs in themselves (IMHDO)

I will say that is strange, sir. As an average guitarist, these are my observations:

Sambora: learned to fluently play all solos from Crossroads collection in a day.

DeVille: learned to fluently play all of Open Up and Say Ah in an hour.

Mick Mars: learned to fluently play all hits off of Decade of Decadence immediately after hearing them, on the first try.

Again, my playing has always been very average; I am still unable to nail a single EVH solo. One thing I will say for Mars is that he was a decent riff man, especially early on. I agree strongly with the DeVille/Cheap Trick comparison.

Stop!!! So what are you saying? LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:02 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
You guys def need to listen to more Sambora........ Sambora > Mars and Deville COMBINED!!!

My fav solo and one of my fav songs and solos of all time are in this song right here... Solo starts at around 6min mark...

It's a great solo, and I think Richie's good. I used to be all about Bon Jovi as a teen (now I abhor all that they've done except Bed of Roses) and learned a fair amount of his stuff. He's intensely melodic, but his technique and innovation is about average. I notice he likes to stay in the same mode for an extended length and build speed around those few notes in many songs. Of course, the guy loves his whammy bar; hell he even augmented it for his Fender model. Thought that was pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:07 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

It's a great solo, and I think Richie's good. I used to be all about Bon Jovi as a teen (now I abhor all that they've done except Bed of Roses) and learned a fair amount of his stuff. He's intensely melodic, but his technique and innovation is about average. I notice he likes to stay in the same mode for an extended length and build speed around those few notes in many songs. Of course, the guy loves his whammy bar; hell he even augmented it for his Fender model. Thought that was pretty cool.

BULLSEYE!! I think that's why I love the man so much...

I mean listen to this solo and tell me you don't hear Richie all over it and a lil Slash hahah...

Some of my other favs by Richie are

Only lonely
No Apologies (Very Eric Johnson like)
Stranger in this Town
Born to be my baby
Bed of Roses (THAT TONE)
Wanted Dead or ALive (Pinches)
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Not to derail things too much more but I'd take Mars overall as he's got the stronger rhythm hand, better slide, and a more individual voice in his playing, the latter is near priceless.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:27 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Not to derail things too much more but I'd take Mars overall as he's got the stronger rhythm hand, better slide, and a more individual voice in his playing, the latter is near priceless.

Mars plays for a HARDER rock style band which brings his VOICE and PLAYING to the front. If we were going by riffs I would say yea he is the better player as thats his strong suit.. Kinda LOL..
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:45 pm

TIL guitarists actually enjoy Mick Mars Razz 

You know, I think my dislike of Mars stems from Crue's later work before Vince left. I can't stand that shit, not one song after Shout except for Wild Side. And he really sucked when he tried to, ahem, 'shred.' I admit he also did well on the Corabi album but he also held back a lot in soloing as well, which worked in his favor.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:49 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

I respect your opinion

Sambora has more feel than maybe DeVille or Mars but DeVille has more variety in what he does than Sambora. Which makes him fun. Fun doesn't always equate to abilty, but that isn't what I rate players on.....mere abilty. I agree with what OCI stated, regarding Mars. Sambora was replacable IMHDO in Bon Jovi but that isn't the case with Poison and/or Crue. That says something in itself.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 6:13 pm

James B. wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

I respect your opinion

Sambora has more feel than maybe DeVille or Mars but DeVille has more variety in what he does than Sambora.  Which makes him fun.  Fun doesn't always equate to abilty, but that isn't what I rate players on.....mere abilty.  I agree with what OCI stated, regarding Mars.   Sambora was replacable IMHDO in Bon Jovi but that isn't the case with Poison and/or Crue.  That says something in itself.

This actually makes total sense when the comparison criterion is based on enjoyability rather than skill.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 6:21 pm

I don't know anything about playing guitar, but when I saw Bon Jovi live (It was a festival! Embarassed ) Richie was about the only one that impressed me (JBJ was drunk off his ass though!). I like the way he sounds within Bon Jovi although I can't think of any solo that he's done that has made me go Wow!!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 6:26 pm

corplhicks wrote:

This actually makes total sense when the comparison criterion is based on enjoyability rather than skill.

I grew up in one of the most densely populated areas of our country, Southern California. Guitar players were a dime a dozen and so were talented players at that. I could ride my skateboard down my street and hear dudes in garages and bedrooms playing "every" popular player of the day, note for note, and most of the time even had the tone in pocket. When the 80's came around and the dynamics of guitar playing changed to scales and styles that were not blues based for the most part, an over saturation of great players did not.

I dig fun and I dig chops too. Some average players just happen to be in the right place at the right time and hook up with a guy who can sing above average and write melodic, catchy tunes, that appeal to young girls who like to flash their boobs at concerts, and keep them relevant 25 years later due to them trying to live vicariously through the lives of thier own daughters by attending concerts with them.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 8:03 pm

Most guitar players nowadays do what you just said. Sit down and play albums note for note which IMO takes away from learning anything, Sure you can learn new scales and modes but come up with your own riffs and solos.

Why is this? I had a friend come over just the other day and I was jamming on my guitar and doing all kinds of crazy runs and he was just like, "dude that's cool" but when I started playing Sweet Child of Mine his face lit up and he asked me to play it again.

As far as Sambora, Deville, Mars, whoever.. It's all about what you prefer as a guitar player. I've played for almost 20 years and when I hear a Mars riff or solo I don't even get happy LOL.. When I hear a Sambora solo, I get chills...

Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Sambora - "born to be my baby" sticks out in my head.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 10:33 pm

bgsully wrote:
Sambora - "born to be my baby" sticks out in my head.

That's a killer choice Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next