Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Opinions on Dream Theater

Go down 
+37
Wayne
MetalRob331
Eyesore
adrian
QuothTheRaven
RAIDwarden
Leatherface
fingers
Sutekh
Lari
ultmetal
Shawn Of Fire
Citanul
SAHB Healer
BearOnUnicycle
chewie
GrandNational
Infinite
manny
bass63
mc666
bgsully
DevZor
Orion Crystal Ice
stepcousin
Boris2008
A Handful of Wayne
journeyman
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
jstate
Dark Horseman
Troublezone
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 3:16 am

Wayne wrote:
its the heaviest album since train of thought.
That's what I f*cking want to hear...!

iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 3:51 am

FII is best
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 8:59 am

Awesome - looking forward to the new release!
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 1:42 pm

I dig Dream Theater... But I do enjoy prog, being a Rush fanboy.... but DT is pretty stellar.... top 20 band for me.... Saw 'em on the last tour and thought they were FAB.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 3:58 am

So this was mentioned in Classic Rock magazine:

[quote]"#5 Dream Theater Illumination Theory

The epic closing track of the progressive-metal band's new self-titled album twists and turns like a twisty turny thing incorporating a symphonic segment and even a false ending that takes it past the 22-minute mark."[\quote]

Woah.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 10:47 am

I'd say I'm a casual fan of the band. I have a few early releases and a few later releases with a buncha gaps in the middle. I have to be in the mood for them I guess. If the new albums sounds decent, I'll pick it up. If not, they're not a group that I have to purchase everything.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:04 am

Twists and turns like a twisty turny thing? That's some stellar jounalism right there.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 12:47 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Twists and turns like a twisty turny thing? That's some stellar jounalism right there.
It was tongue-in-cheek; in the actual clipping there's a (©Blackadder) after the phrase. Still goofy, though.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 2:24 pm

There's definitely a touch of the symphonic with this new album. The opening track had a whiff of nightwish/JP's Nostradamus but trust me when I say I would not compare the album to anything nightwish have done nor would I compare it to Nostradamus, those where just points of reference to try and explain the symphonic feel that was aparant on some tracks.

The album as whole is heavy and nicely tight and focused. I kept thinking of symphony x in parts, especially the last couple of albums paradise lost and iconclast but again not as a direct comparison more a point of reference.

Overall it's heavy, focused, a touch symphonic in parts. contains some amazing drumming, a dollop of familiar dream theater prog but still offers enough new ideas to make this one hell of an album.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Wayne wrote:
There's definitely a touch of the symphonic with this new album. The opening track had a whiff of nightwish/JP's Nostradamus but trust me when I say I would not compare the album to anything nightwish have done nor would I compare it to Nostradamus, those where just points of reference to try and explain the symphonic feel that was aparant on some tracks.

The album as whole is heavy and nicely tight and focused. I kept thinking of symphony x in parts, especially the last couple of albums paradise lost and iconclast but again not as a direct comparison more a point of reference.

Overall it's heavy, focused, a touch symphonic in parts. contains some amazing drumming, a dollop of familiar dream theater prog but still offers enough new ideas to make this one hell of an album.
Sounds great... Now if only Petrucci could whip out some Romeo type riffs and they might be my fav band ever haha...
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 2:47 pm

There's a track available on iTunes called 'the enemy inside'. Worth listening too as it nicely sums up the feel of the album.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Wayne wrote:
There's a track available on iTunes called 'the enemy inside'. Worth listening too as it nicely sums up the feel of the album.
I've heard that song and being that it's their first single, I hope the rest of the album is a lot more aggressive..
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 3:38 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Wayne wrote:
I've heard that song and being that it's their first single, I hope the rest of the album is a lot more aggressive..
Just going by memory some of the other songs might offer a tad more punch but not a lot. I thought the enemy inside was quite an aggressive track, certainly for a dream theater song anyway.

I would say the new album is about train of thought heavy.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Wayne wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Just going by memory some of the other songs might offer a tad more punch but not a lot. I thought the enemy inside was quite an aggressive track, certainly for a dream theater song anyway.

I would say the new album is about train of thought heavy.
Train of Thought was very heavy and prolly their least prog album in their catalog. If it's anywhere near that album I will love it. The songwriting is what really grabbed me on ToT...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:21 pm

I hate stirring things up here, and I'm most likely in the minority, but this is all disappointing news to me. My beef with DT with the last few albums is that's the top priority is being heavy. Just my opinion but I don't want a heavier Dream Theater. What I miss is the sophisticated prog with the unexpected changes and ambient flourishes. That seems to be lost now, most likely because they're seeking a wider audience. But their songs have become so...predictable. A good example is the new single. I'm sorry everyone, but I listened to it again and I can't honestly stand it. It's awful. It's the same old same old. Everything went about the way I expected it to be. I miss it when their music slapped me in the face and I would be blown away at every single turn. That's not the case here. My hope--and perhaps Wayne has some insight into this--is that the rest of the album doesn't follow suit. The blurb about the closing track gives me some hope.

I mean, sorry I'm not terribly enthusiastic about this but after being disappointed several times in a row my passion has been whittled down, especially after Black Clouds and Silver Linings (IMO the worst album in their catalog). I should mention I finally had a listen to Turn of Events, and it is miles better than Black Clouds, and Mangini does a killer job, so here's hoping...

Okay, everyone; fire away.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:28 pm

I want it to be better too. I don't dislike the new song, but does it say "Choose me!" over a lot of amazing prog metal bands that exercise compact songwriting, like Lanfear, Pagan's Mind, Threshold, and et al? Nope......... DT excels when they are actually branching out..
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I want it to be better too. I don't dislike the new song, but does it say "Choose me!" over a lot of amazing prog metal bands that exercise compact songwriting, like Lanfear, Pagan's Mind, Threshold, and et al? Nope......... DT excels when they are actually branching out..
You brought up Pagan's Mind, whom I've been listening to all day, and made my point. \'arry \'eadbanger 

That's the thing, though...DT is in fact better when they branch out, when they takes risks--like SFAM and COS--and for some time now they've been rehashing. And getting heavier is not what I/we mean by "branching out."
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:49 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
You brought up Pagan's Mind, whom I've been listening to all day, and made my point. \'arry \'eadbanger 

That's the thing, though...DT is in fact better when they branch out, when they takes risks--like SFAM and COS--and for some time now they've been rehashing. And getting heavier is not what I/we mean by "branching out."
Dream Theater is def going away from their extreme prog roots. CORP it's time to put DT away and join us with Pagans Mind...

or some Andromeda headbanger 

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:54 pm

That was another band I was thinking of. You especially can't go wrong with 'Extension of the Wish' or 'Chimera', Andromeda is fantastic.

I think DT feels a little forced when they try to be extremely heavy or what have you, they just need to let it flow and a good album should come out. I hope there's some more of that courtesy of Mangini.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 5:59 pm

corplhicks wrote:
My beef with DT with the last few albums is that's the top priority is being heavy. Just my opinion but I don't want a heavier Dream Theater. What I miss is the sophisticated prog with the unexpected changes and ambient flourishes. That seems to be lost now, most likely because they're seeking a wider audience. But their songs have become so...predictable. A good example is the new single. I'm sorry everyone, but I listened to it again and I can't honestly stand it. It's awful. It's the same old same old. Everything went about the way I expected it to be. I miss it when their music slapped me in the face and I would be blown away at every single turn.

All of this!!!!!!!

Also, tired of Ruddess' ragtime solo on... every... album.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 6:28 pm

chewie wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
My beef with DT with the last few albums is that's the top priority is being heavy. Just my opinion but I don't want a heavier Dream Theater. What I miss is the sophisticated prog with the unexpected changes and ambient flourishes. That seems to be lost now, most likely because they're seeking a wider audience. But their songs have become so...predictable. A good example is the new single. I'm sorry everyone, but I listened to it again and I can't honestly stand it. It's awful. It's the same old same old. Everything went about the way I expected it to be. I miss it when their music slapped me in the face and I would be blown away at every single turn.
All of this!!!!!!!

Also, tired of Ruddess' ragtime solo on... every... album.
Yeah it was cool on SFAM but the novelty wore off the more he implemented it. Like a bad joke.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 25, 2013 11:20 am

Christmas present from Dream Theater - free live tracks from the last tour not included on the recently blu-ray. FLAC files:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-releases-free-compilation-of-live-tracks/

rogressive metal giants DREAM THEATER have released the following statement:

"To our fans all over the world! It is because of all of you that 'A Dramatic Tour Of Events' was such a success. We enjoyed playing to you all each and every night on the road!

"As a special 'Thank You,' we are releasing a compilation of live tracks that were not included on 'Live At Luna Park'. With these now being available, you have a complete documentation of all the songs that were played during the tour (with the exception of cover songs.)

"Happy Holidays, and we look forward to having you 'Along For The Ride' in 2014."
CD1:

01. Under A Glass Moon (Phoenix, AZ 12/4/11)
02. Forsaken (London, UK 7/24/11)
03. Peruvian Skies (London, UK 7/24/11)
04. Endless Sacrifice (Austin, TX 10/26/11)
05. Drum Solo (Austin, TX 10/26/11)
06. YtseJam (Austin, TX 10/26/11)
07. The Great Debate (London, UK 7/24/11)

CD2:

08. Another Day (Austin, TX 7/7/12)
09. Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy (Montreal, QB 10/7/11)
10. To Live Forever (Huntington, NY 7/19/12)
11. Learning To Live (Tel Aviv, Israel 7/19/11)
12. The Count Of Tuscany (London, UK 7/24/11)
13. As I Am (Shibuya, Japan 4/24/12)

Concept: Rai "Weymolith" Beardsley
Produced by John Petrucci
Archive management and selection: James LaBrie, John Petrucci
Keeper of the archives: Maddi Shieferstein
Live sound engineer: Nigel Paul (Tracks 1-3, 7, 11-13)
Mixing and mastering: Richard Chycki
Artwork: Hugh Syme

This material included in this special holiday 2013 release has been copied and communicated to you by or on behalf of DREAM THEATER / Ytse Jams Inc and is copyrighted.

All music and lyrics by DREAM THEATER and published by Ytse Jams (ASCAP)

Distribution of this electronic file set is allowed as long as this information file is included and remains unaltered. Sale strictly prohibited.

Download the torrent here.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-releases-free-compilation-of-live-tracks/#fkqUo4Qq3rbAEo0t.99
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 7:02 am

I could never get into this band.

I do own some of their albums, but i must admit not being a fan of those long songs.

Not a big fan of progressive in general.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Opinions on Dream Theater
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4