Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Opinions on Dream Theater

Go down 
+37
Wayne
MetalRob331
Eyesore
adrian
QuothTheRaven
RAIDwarden
Leatherface
fingers
Sutekh
Lari
ultmetal
Shawn Of Fire
Citanul
SAHB Healer
BearOnUnicycle
chewie
GrandNational
Infinite
manny
bass63
mc666
bgsully
DevZor
Orion Crystal Ice
stepcousin
Boris2008
A Handful of Wayne
journeyman
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
jstate
Dark Horseman
Troublezone
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
41 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

General Opinions on Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 5:01 pm

So it's generally regarded that Dream Theater is king of Prog Metal, or at least they're the most well-known of the bunch, but after combing the board it seems there is a standard of dislike, or at least neutrality, toward the band. What is you current opinion on DT, and if you like them what is their best era? Overrated? Underrated?

As for me, I love the band, but I don't worship them. They were my fist exposure to prog metal and Pull Me Under was one of my first metal experiences. I do feel though that their songwriting was more dense and complex with Kevin Moore in the group. Awake was, IMHO, the greatest progressive album I'd heard out of many, and lyrically the strongest metal album in the genre (Space Dye Vest FTW). Though subsequent albums were lesser, there was still a lot to write home about (Metropolis 2 was quite a fun romp). From Systematic Chaos on, however, things became quite stale as production became dull, lyrics got goofy, self-cannibalization was evident, and things got very "samey." I can't say I've heard much of the latest album without Portnoy so no opinion there yet. I've also always been unsure of Rudess' noodling. It seems to be the same with every solo.

IMO John Petrucci is one of the greatest guitarists out there (although his solo project left a lot to be desired).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 5:16 pm

My general opinion: They're boring as hell. They're talented players and on paper they sound like something that should be right up my alley, but I've tried them out several times over the years and they've always bored the man-titties off of me.

(Shrug) I guess I just don't "get" them.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
My general opinion: They're boring as hell. They're talented players and on paper they sound like something that should be right up my alley, but I've tried them out several times over the years and they've always bored the man-titties off of me.

(Shrug) I guess I just don't "get" them.

My thoughts exactly. Boring wankfest. It says something that I find their covers much better than anything they've ever written.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 5:30 pm

The only song I like by them is Pull Me Under. Funny thing is, when I first heard it, I thought it was Metal Church.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 5:36 pm

What about compared to other prog metal bands, though? For me I've always found their songs more accessible than others'. Especially in later albums, which is another part of my complaint.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 5:44 pm

First two albums were very good, they really were fresh and sounded like they were relishing playing music. All down hill from there.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 6:13 pm

I have to be in the proper mood for Dream Theater. They aren't a group I can just pick off the shelf and play. But in that right mood I'm a fan.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 6:18 pm

"Images and Words" is a total masterpiece.

Their post-Kevin Moore stuff is very boring (with only a few exceptions here and there).
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 7:05 pm

Count me as a fan and first day buyer of DT new studio albums..... The 2nd and 3rd albums are fantastic (never really could get into WDADU.) A Change Of Seasons is fantastic too. Falling bored me to tears and I thought it was the end of DT..... fortunately they came back with SFAM. The albums after that are OK (Six Degrees, Systematic Chaos) to good (Octavarium, Black Clouds, Train Of Thought) that have some fantastic songs and some not so great tracks.

A Dramatic Turn Of Events is a great album and they best thing they have done since Awake - really looking forward to the new album, especially since Mangini was part of the writing sessions (as opposed to ADTOE, where he came in to record drums after the rest of the music had been recorded.)
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 7:37 pm

I like the first two albums. Haven't heard anything since. Pull Me Under was what hooked me after hearing it on the radio. Need to check out some of the other releases.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 7:56 pm

I think Pull me under was everyones intro to Dream Theater. That whole album is a masterpiece. After that Awake was kind of dissapointing to me. They completely changed their sound and it threw me off and it took me a while to get used to and get back into them again. I never really fully got into them like I was up until Octavarium and then Dark clouds which I thought was the best albums they have done in years. Then Portnoy left and they released a new album, I thought it was boring and I'm back to square one with them again. Maybe i'll like the new album better, but we'll see. I still love them. The songs I like of theirs are my favorites but there sure is a lot that I just don't like at all. If they were to break up today, I'd be ok with that. They have enough material to keep me happy when I need to hear them.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 8:49 pm

I haven't heard enough to really have an informed opinion, but the fact that they have been around forever and I have hardly listened to them tells it's own story. I love prog and I love metal, but for some reason I just can't get into prog metal, it just bores me.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:08 pm

jstate wrote:
I have to be in the proper mood for Dream Theater.  They aren't a group I can just pick off the shelf and play.  But in that right mood I'm a fan.

this. I really dig their music, there's nothing I've heard from them that I don't like. But unlike most of my favorite bands, I can't listen to 3 or 4 albums in a row by DT, usually it's one album and then another 3 months later I'll listen to another one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:25 pm

I admire Dream Theater for their technical ability and longevity, but it's just not the sound I gravitate toward.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:26 pm

I enjoyed them far more when they were trying to re-amp Rush than when they try to blend Tool and Pantera and other modernish gobbledy-gook. It's not even chock full of wankery, it's just directionless and boring. WatchTower or Spiral Architect are technically "full of wankery" if we go by that judgement (I don't), but every song on those records is in my brain. Listening to DT after 'A Change of Seasons' just makes me SMH....like what are you guys doing, why are you doing it, why does this sound so annoying......
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:36 pm

I'm a DT fanboy. I love most of there stuff. I've seen 'em twice, once on the systematic chaos tour and once touring for the last record with mangini. The last one blew the "systematic" performance out of the water.

My introduction to these guys was train of thought, which is one hell of a heavy metal record. I would agree that "a dramatic turn of events" is one of there better records. It's a top five DT record for sure.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:38 pm

Images and Words....Great album (Pull Me Under still gets my blood pumping)! Train of Thought was pretty decent, IMO. The rest I'm not that familiar with.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I enjoyed them far more when they were trying to re-amp Rush than when they try to blend Tool and Pantera and other modernish gobbledy-gook. It's not even chock full of wankery, it's just directionless and boring. WatchTower or Spiral Architect are technically "full of wankery" if we go by that judgement (I don't), but every song on those records is in my brain. Listening to DT after 'A Change of Seasons' just makes me SMH....like what are you guys doing, why are you doing it, why does this sound so annoying......

I echo this verbatim. Don't think I could say it any better. cheers 
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Also, if people want more 'Images & Words' they NEED to listen to Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance. I don't mean just 'band trying to sound like Dream Theater', I mean at that stage they REALLY studied that record and it almost sounds like a direct sequel, but evolved and still fairly unique to PM.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:48 pm

I suggest Awake for anyone who's never heard it. It has a heavy U2 influence throughout but still maintains a very dark metal approach. Moore's keyboards are just ethereal in every song, and I believe their Mind Beside Itself suite to be their masterpiece--ESPECIALLY the melody and lyrics of Voices which is very catchy and hooky and, like the entire album, f*cking esoteric as hell. Don't know why Petrucci doesn't write like that anymore; he seems to have gone straight-forward with his pen, losing a lot of the imagery and poetry that he and Kevin were going for. And Lifting Shadows Off a Dream is just gorgeous and textured. In all honesty--and I hope other fans can agree with me here--it's a completely different album than anything else they've ever released. In part this is frustrating: they refuse to revisit this complexity with every recording, and I scratch my head as to why.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:54 pm

oh yeah, gotta second that. 'Awake' has a totally unique atmosphere that is really self-contained. It's one of those where you play it when you really are feeling only the specific feeling the full record evokes, kind of like 'Rage For Order' is. Really good record.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:54 pm

I enjoy all of their records, except this last one. It just sounded weak to me.

bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:25 pm

First couple was albums were great. And I think Scenes From a Memory was brilliant. I haven't been interested in them after Portnoy left the band.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:30 pm

I actually like their music alot, I have to agree with MC666, there last album was just not very memorable, but I like their music, its both heavy and progressive.

One thing I used dislike was the vocalist James what's his face, but I have grown accustomed to him and could not imagine anyone else singing for them.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:35 pm

manny wrote:
I actually like their music alot, I have to agree with MC666, there last album was just not very memorable, but I like their music, its both heavy and progressive.

One thing I used dislike was the vocalist James what's his face, but I have grown accustomed to him and could not imagine anyone else singing for them.  

Labrie. Yeah he's really starting to drop his range but still trying too hard. Seen them in concert three times in the past five years and the man just fell apart on higher notes. I'm getting worn out myself by his wailing--his voice worked for earlier efforts but can't sustain itself any longer. I felt they needed a new vocalist before finding a new drummer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Opinions on Dream Theater   General Opinions on Dream Theater Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Opinions on Dream Theater
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next