Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?

Go down 
+36
firestarter
Lurideath
Troublezone
metalhead777
Shawn Of Fire
Thelemech
James B.
MetallicSeminarian
SideShowDisaSter
DakotaRogers
Eyesore
Spiner202
Temple of Blood
Gilbert
BillRoxx
Metalfanjunior
CRIMSONMASK
Wargod
Chrome Locust
Coram Deo
nevermore
EmoElmo
TheseGoTo11
jstate
ZombieHavoc
Thrasher73
corplhicks
chilejay7
jettafiend
exact33
kyleblack
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
Dark Horseman
ultmetal
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 8:36 am

Thrash was always a genre that I liked, but it was never "down in my bones". When a lot of people were listening to Master Of Puppets and Hell Awaits, I was listening to Slippery When Wet and 5150. I've tried to explore it beyond the obvious bands, but while I thought a lot of it was cool, it wasn't "repeated listens" cool.

The only time I listened to what I consider a lot of Thrash was when I was only listening to Christian Music...I played Deliverance, Sacrament, The Crucified, Vengeance, and Seventh Angel a lot over the course of about 3 years. But even then I was giving more time to Mastedon, Guardian, Angelica and Shout.

That being said, when the new Metal record comes out that I just recorded, there is one straigth up THRASH song (IMO) that I LOVED recording...it ended up one of my favorite songs on the album.

I do have Thrash albums that I like, but they're more obvious titles...Never, Neverland, Show No Mercy, Ride The Lightning, Rust In Peace, Weapons Of Our Warfare, maybe a few others...but I never had the encyclopedic knowledge you guys have of the genre.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:26 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Thrash was always a genre that I liked, but it was never "down in my bones". When a lot of people were listening to Master Of Puppets and Hell Awaits, I was listening to Slippery When Wet and 5150. I've tried to explore it beyond the obvious bands, but while I thought a lot of it was cool, it wasn't "repeated listens" cool.

The only time I listened to what I consider a lot of Thrash was when I was only listening to Christian Music...I played Deliverance, Sacrament, The Crucified, Vengeance, and Seventh Angel a lot over the course of about 3 years. But even then I was giving more time to Mastedon, Guardian, Angelica and Shout.

That being said, when the new Metal record comes out that I just recorded, there is one straigth up THRASH song (IMO) that I LOVED recording...it ended up one of my favorite songs on the album.

I do have Thrash albums that I like, but they're more obvious titles...Never, Neverland, Show No Mercy, Ride The Lightning, Rust In Peace, Weapons Of Our Warfare, maybe a few others...but I never had the encyclopedic knowledge you guys have of the genre.
I like everything from Slayer to Journey. Smile 

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:44 am

I'm still waiting on the new Deliverance. It will most likely make my list as well. Also, despite have a ton of new thrash releases, I still don't have the new Sodom, Evile, Hatchet, Hatriot, Battlecross, etc.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:46 am

ultmetal wrote:
I'm still waiting on the new Deliverance. It will most likely make my list as well. Also, despite have a ton of new thrash releases, I still don't have the new Sodom, Evile, Hatchet, Hatriot, Battlecross, etc.
I'm still missing a lot, but I do think the new Evile is fantastic. I think you'd like it quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:54 am

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm getting old. 44 2013 releases purchased thus far and not a one is thrash. The only 2 that even come close are Megadeth's Supercollider and Anthrax's Anthems. And neither of them really register as thrash.
I'm even older, no thrash this year, in fact the Black Sabbath album was really the only metal album I bought.  

I bought plenty of metal this year, just no thrash.

I think I'm getting to the same point with thrash that I am with glam/hair/sleaze. I enjoy the old stuff for nostalgic purposes, but the new generation of thrash bands just don't do it for me anymore. I can spin an old Megadeth or Metallica album and it takes me back to a time and place that newer bands like Havok or Evile just don't do. Even a new album from older bands gives me more satisfaction than new bands that are re-hashing an old formula (not that there's anything wrong with that).

There's always gonna be exceptions of course, but I'm going to be way more selective on the stuff I purchase. Well, try to anyway. Very Happy

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 11:10 am

Protector - Reanimated Homunculus
Izegrim - Congress of the Insane
Hateform - Sanctuary in Abyss
Death Angel - The Dream Calls For Blood
Anger As Art - Hubris Inc
Annihilator - Feast
Masters Of Metal - Masters Of Metal
Feared - Furor Incarnatus
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 1:32 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I enjoy the old stuff for nostalgic purposes, but the new generation of thrash bands just don't do it for me anymore.
When I get into the nostalgic mood to listen to some thrash I'm content grabbing an old Slayer album or Coroner or Kreator to fill that urge. I don't need any new additions from the genre...unless Coroner gets back together and records another album, I'd make an exception for that.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 1:34 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I enjoy the old stuff for nostalgic purposes, but the new generation of thrash bands just don't do it for me anymore.
When I get into the nostalgic mood to listen to some thrash I'm content grabbing an old Slayer album or Coroner or Kreator to fill that urge.  I don't need any new additions from the genre...unless Coroner gets back together and records another album, I'd make an exception for that.  

Have you listened to Vektor S.D.?

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 1:42 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Yes, I've heard Outer Isolation from them. They are a very good band, it's just not really a style that I reach for more than a few times a year.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 1:43 pm

S.D. wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Yes, I've heard Outer Isolation from them.  They are a very good band, it's just not really a style that I reach for more than a few times a year.  

Cool. I just saw you mention Coroner, and that reminded me of Voivod and Vektor who I think are creative and progressive like Coroner was.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 2:32 pm

VEKTOR can't hold a candle to CORONER or VOIVOD.

And really, their riffs are nothing like CORONER. They sound like a cross between DESTRUCTION's late 80s technical period and 80s VOIVOD.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 3:32 pm

I was going to ask about Destruction because I thought they had a release out this year but after a quick search I found that their last release was from 2012.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 5:00 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
When I get into the nostalgic mood to listen to some thrash I'm content grabbing an old Slayer album or Coroner or Kreator to fill that urge.  I don't need any new additions from the genre...unless Coroner gets back together and records another album, I'd make an exception for that.  
Just so I don't totally lose my street cred, I did buy some thrash albums this year. None of them were released in 2013 though. headbanger 

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 2:45 am

After one listen on Bandcamp I'm confident that this joins Onslaught on my very limited 2013 thrash list

Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Hypert10

Very rooted in the time when thrash was starting to get deathy (think Seven Churches/Scream Bloody Gore) but there's lots of melody on this record too. Great, heavy, thrashy fun! headbanger 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 2:50 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Just so I don't totally lose my street cred, I did buy some thrash albums this year. None of them were released in 2013 though. headbanger 
I think it's interesting that I don't really listen to thrash very often anymore...but I absolutely LOVE High On Fire. They may not technically be a thrash band (closer to Motorhead than Exodus for example) but that is definitely an element to their sound.
Back to top Go down
firestarter
Metal student
Metal student
firestarter

Number of posts : 109

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 5:16 am

Top 10 of 2013

1. Hatchet - Dawn Of The End
2. Evile - Skull
3. Impalers - Power Behind The Throne
4. Onslaught - VI
5. Anger As Art - Hubris Inc.
6. Psychosis - By Our Hand
7. Demencia - Religion Of Sin
8. Extreme Attack - ... In The Name Of Thrash Metal
9. Accu§er - Diabolic
10. Hatriot - Heroes Of Origin
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 11:45 am

This new Death Angel is insane. I can't believe how intense the entire album is. These days I tend to divide thrash albums into two, side A and B, so I listen to half and return to the second half later. Why? It's just easier to digest and less taxing (I'm getting old, I guess, but a good thrash album does wear me down). In the case of DA, though, The Dream Calls for Blood is something I can take from start to finish, for good reason.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm not really familiar with recent thrash releases, but here's one local band I can recommend: Panikk, heavily influenced by Bay Area scene, especially Vio-Lence:

http://www.reverbnation.com/panikk

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Panikk/3540292994

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
VEKTOR can't hold a candle to CORONER or VOIVOD.

And really, their riffs are nothing like CORONER.  They sound like a cross between DESTRUCTION's late 80s technical period and 80s VOIVOD.
Coroner! One of the most unique thrash bands ever.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 3:41 pm

I like the latest Evile album.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Chemistry Of Consciousness - Toxic Holocaust

Just got this a couple of days ago and I must say it is killer, easily my favorite thrash release this year.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Nice call on that Panikk, Bostjan! Surprised it hasn't gotten any attention.

Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 6:09 pm

Looks like the coveted "album of the year" has been revealed. Move over Death Angel.

15. Havok- Unnatural Selection
14. Skeletonwitch- Serpents Unleashed
13. Evile- Skull
12. Annihilator- Feast
11. Onslaught- VI
10. Toxic Holocaust- Chemistry of Consciousness
9. Voivod- Target Earth
8. Diamond Plate- Pulse
7. Hatriot- Heroes of Origin
6. Birth A.D.- I Blame You
5. Sodom- Epitome of Torture
4. Essence- Last Night of Solace
3. Warbringer- IV: Empires Collapse
2. Death Angel- The Dream Calls for Blood
1. Artillery- Legions
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I like the latest Evile album.
headbanger 
Back to top Go down
cruedevil71
Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

Number of posts : 104

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Death Angel - The Dream Calls For Blood
High On Fire - Spitting Fire Live
Metal Church - Generation Nothing
Onslaught - VI

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next