Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?

Go down 
+36
firestarter
Lurideath
Troublezone
metalhead777
Shawn Of Fire
Thelemech
James B.
MetallicSeminarian
SideShowDisaSter
DakotaRogers
Eyesore
Spiner202
Temple of Blood
Gilbert
BillRoxx
Metalfanjunior
CRIMSONMASK
Wargod
Chrome Locust
Coram Deo
nevermore
EmoElmo
TheseGoTo11
jstate
ZombieHavoc
Thrasher73
corplhicks
chilejay7
jettafiend
exact33
kyleblack
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
Dark Horseman
ultmetal
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Sodom's Epitome Of Torture is giving Destruction's latest a run for my favorite of the year. I love the title track with the way they pronounce epitome as "epitomb". Sometimes it's the little things that put a release over the top for me.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Yeah, some of Sodom's enunciations have been different through the years but still killer stuff.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 6:01 pm

From the stuff I've bought...

Atominated - World Without Flesh (EP)
Coldsteel - America Idle (EP)
Evil Whiplash - Evil Reincarnation (EP)
Evile - Skull
Integrity - Suicide Black Snake
Prowler - After You
Psychosis - By Our Hand (EP)
Reactory - Killed By Thrash (EP)
Rusted Brain - High Voltage Thrash
Xpulsion - Hunted (EP)

I'd say my favorite is Integrity. Some might take issue with that and say they're hardcore, which is partly true, but I think there is plenty of thrash as well.

My second choice would be Psychosis.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: 2013 Thrash    Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
The Voivod record is mighty! But not thrash.
Progressive thrash metal isn't thrash metal? Alrighty then.

Here's my top 15. Probably have to rearrange it after the Artillery and Amok albums drop:

15. Havok- Unnatural Selection (An unnatural snooze-fest)
14. Skeletonwitch- Serpents Unleashed
13. Hatchet- Dawn of the End (Crazy atmosphere, crazier riffs)
12. Annihilator- Feast ("No Way Out" and a bunch of other songs)
11. Evile- Skull (Your standard Evile fare)
10. Onslaught- VI
9. Toxic Holocaust- Chemistry of Consciousness
8. Diamond Plate- Pulse
7. Voivod- Target Earth
6. Hatriot- Heroes of Origin
5. Birth A.D.- I Blame You (One of the best new-school attempts at crossover.)
4. Sodom- Epitoom of Torture
3. Essence- Last Night of Solace (Severely underrated prog-thrash)
2. Warbringer- IV: Empires Collapse (Warbringer meets Vektor)
1. Death Angel- The Dream Calls for Blood
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Surprised no love has been given to my favorite of the year so far:

Razormaze - Annihilatia

Very close second between Ultra-Violence and Essence.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 6:18 pm

All this thread tells me is that I need more money.

But I do have Havok and Evile. Dig both headbanger
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 8:41 pm

Me likey Hatchet....Havok......Warbringer..... and...... Death Angel

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 9:20 pm

Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
Destruction - Spiritual Genocide
Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction Live
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 1:57 am

I'm still going with Accuser's Diabolic. I have every song memorized from start to finish, and that's rare with any thrash release. Lot's of GREAT stuff this year (just got Death Angel and Onslaught, both are insane), but Accuser needs recognition for being the most brutal and aggressive of the bunch.

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 8:51 am

Eyesore wrote:
I'd say my favorite is Integrity. Some might take issue with that and say they're hardcore, which is partly true, but I think there is plenty of thrash as well.
I haven't even listened to any of this new Integrity business, so I won't argue the point regarding the new release (though I should check it out).

But if it's anything at all like their 90s output, I would never in good faith be able to call them thrash, in any way.

And I had the majority of their LPs, 10"s and 7" from In Contrast of Sin through Seasons in the Size of Days.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 9:01 am

Since I only have 2 new thrash releases that I can think of off the top fy my head (Havok and Death Angel), I'll have to go with Death Angel's The Dream Calls For Blood.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 9:47 am

DakotaRogers wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Here's my top 15. Probably have to rearrange it after the Artillery and Amok albums drop:

15. Havok- Unnatural Selection (An unnatural snooze-fest)
14. Skeletonwitch- Serpents Unleashed
13. Hatchet- Dawn of the End (Crazy atmosphere, crazier riffs)
12. Annihilator- Feast ("No Way Out" and a bunch of other songs)
11. Evile- Skull (Your standard Evile fare)
10. Onslaught- VI
9. Toxic Holocaust- Chemistry of Consciousness
8. Diamond Plate- Pulse
7. Voivod- Target Earth
6. Hatriot- Heroes of Origin
5. Birth A.D.- I Blame You (One of the best new-school attempts at crossover.)
4. Sodom- Epitoom of Torture
3. Essence- Last Night of Solace (Severely underrated prog-thrash)
2. Warbringer- IV: Empires Collapse (Warbringer meets Vektor)
1. Death Angel- The Dream Calls for Blood
Good list. Add Accuser & Gama Bomb to it and you've got a winner. Havok will be much higher on my list as well. I'm not sure where you get "snoozefest". I think it's excellent.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 9:59 am

ultmetal wrote:
Good list. Add Accuser & Gama Bomb to it and you've got a winner. Havok will be much higher on my list as well. I'm not sure where you get "snoozefest". I think it's excellent.
After looking at this thread again, I finally listened to Accuser (on Spotify) this morning, due to the positive comments about it throughout.

I actually was not that into it, and I think it was the vocals.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 12:50 pm

ultmetal wrote:
It was very disappointing, being a huge step-back from "Time is Up." Although, the opening track is one of my favorite songs of the year. "Give Me Liberty..." is pretty enjoyable too. But the rest of it is so watered-down in comparison to their last effort, and the vocals (for whatever reason) are so cartoony and overly Megadave. The guitar work is significantly weaker as well, now it's reminiscent of your typical run-of-the-mill new 'frash band instead of the vicious shit heard on "Time is Up."

The only thing I really enjoyed about this one is the first two tracks, that dandy little solo on "Under the Gun" and... uh... I guess you can't really go wrong with the cover song either.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 12:59 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Didn't say that. I just said that the new Voivod album isn't thrash, progressive or otherwise. I don't think that they have been progressive thrash since Killing Technology, if they ever were.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 1:46 pm

The era of Voivod I like the most was Dimension Hatross through The Outer Limits and I would just call that progressive metal, not really any thrash (except a smidgen here and there on Hatross).
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 4:07 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Didn't say that. I just said that the new Voivod album isn't thrash, progressive or otherwise. I don't think that they have been progressive thrash since Killing Technology, if they ever were.
Lord, it's not like "Target Earth" was a continuation of the "Outer Limits"/"Angel Rat" material. This was like a much heavier, thrashier "Dimension Hatross," with elements from "Killing Technology." You won't find a description or a review that won't label them as progressive thrash metal. "Target Earth" was definitely a return to form.

Mechanical Mind... come on. \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 7:50 pm

Gaahhhh!!!!!! Why does everyone think that I'm trying to downgrade or insult a band if I don't agree with their labels. Target Earth is a Voivod album. Voivod are and always have been impossible to categorize, file, sort and plop neatly into a genre box (except maybe progressive) because they sound like no-one else. Yes for sure it's heavier than a lot of stuff since the 80's, sure it's maybe more metal than what they were doing in the early 90's but still nothing that would make me think of it as a thrash record. There were two bands from the early thrash scene that never really followed the scene and just did something much more original that set them apart and made it impossible to define them into a genre. One was Celtic Frost and the other was Voivod. It's no coincidence that they are the two bands from that scene that I listen to the most nearly 30 years later.

That new Onslaught record on the other hand? That's thrash, total thrash, in your face great thrash! lol! 
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
That new Onslaught record on the other hand? That's thrash, total thrash, in your face great thrash! lol! 
These new Onslaught albums are getting weaker and weaker. They probably won't top "Killing Peace" ever again-that was perfection. VI sort of petered out after the first two tracks, which were so f*cking bombastic \'arry \'eadbanger 

SKELETON... PARADISE! BORDERS DO EXTENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND! WELCOMETOMYREALMOFCHAOS!

There were some interesting moments when they tried some new shit, like on "Children of the Sand," but I found the material on "Sounds of Violence," and especially "Killing Peace" more memorable.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 3:06 pm

\'arry \'eadbanger 

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm getting old. 44 2013 releases purchased thus far and not a one is thrash. The only 2 that even come close are Megadeth's Supercollider and Anthrax's Anthems. And neither of them really register as thrash.

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 6:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm getting old. 44 2013 releases purchased thus far and not a one is thrash. The only 2 that even come close are Megadeth's Supercollider and Anthrax's Anthems. And neither of them really register as thrash.
I'm even older, no thrash this year, in fact the Black Sabbath album was really the only metal album I bought.

Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm even older, no thrash this year, in fact the Black Sabbath album was really the only metal album I bought.  

If you're only gonna get one, that's a good choice!
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Skeletonwitch-Serpents Unleashed
By a mile I might add. This album has me hooked. It just dropped like a month ago and I've already listened to it more times than possibly any other album I own.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 11:55 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
These new Onslaught albums are getting weaker and weaker. They probably won't top "Killing Peace" ever again-that was perfection. VI sort of petered out after the first two tracks, which were so f*cking bombastic \'arry \'eadbanger 

SKELETON... PARADISE! BORDERS DO EXTENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND! WELCOMETOMYREALMOFCHAOS!

There were some interesting moments when they tried some new shit, like on "Children of the Sand," but I found the material on "Sounds of Violence," and especially "Killing Peace" more memorable.
I prefered VI to Sounds of Violence but not as good as Killing Peace. I'm just glad to see them back and doing what they do because they have always been great but took a few wrong turns business wise in the 80's and I thought that would be the last we heard from them

But I'm like some of the other cranky old guys on here and I've heard very little thrash this year (millenium). I just pay attention to Onslaught because they were a special band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?   Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best thrash release of 2013 (so far)?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next