Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath - Forbidden

Go down 
+24
ZombieHavoc
Gilbert
EmoElmo
Troublezone
Wurthless
journeyman
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
James B.
Required Fields
Shawn Of Fire
manny
Lurideath
Witchfinder
jstate
SAHB Healer
MoonChild
Temple of Blood
corplhicks
Alex Dee Rokket
Boris2008
candlemass
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Nothing from the Tony Martin lineup would make my top 30 Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Oh, several would for me, easily!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 10:58 am

I scored the Japanese import!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Sabbath-Forbidden-Japan-1-Sticker-/121278415372?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=JIUINZ5HdfeDLVyvY8rVUt3PxAw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 10:59 am

Another one up for bidding...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Sabbath-Forbidden-Japan-Obi-w-Sticker-1-Bonus-Track-1st-Press-/271410632533?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3f31559755
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 2:10 pm

I have plenty of Martin songs that crack my Top 30 for Sabbath.

I just wish Iommi would get around to doing the rest of deluxe editions for the Martin albums. I have a feeling that will never happen though.

Honestly, I would've taken the deluxe editions over the Ozzy reunion. Razz
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
I have plenty of Martin songs that crack my Top 30 for Sabbath.

There are quite a few good songs, overall the albums range from nice to bad. I was so disappointed after buying The Eternal Idol with only Shining being a good song. Headless Cross has some good songs if you don't take the lyrics too serious or be somebody who still believes and god and all the crap. Tyr has some good songs.
Forbidden has the proper name, it should be forbidden.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 7:07 pm

To each their own, I happen to think "The Eternal Idol" is a damn fine lp, and "The Shinning" is about my least favorite track on there. Can't believe more folks aren't all geeked up on "Ancient Warrior!"  headbanger 

As for "Forbidden", love that one!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 7:16 pm

I don't think that anyone has said that they don't like the Martin era. It's just that up to and including Mob Rules is pure gold. I think that some of those Martin era songs are very good, but they would need to be a whole lot better than very good to even crack the top 50 for me. One of my biggest problems with even the better ones is that they have that late 80's sound, which isn't to my taste, but I honestly think that whenever Iommi plugs in a guitar, something pretty cool comes out.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 7:26 pm

Had "Headless Cross" came out at the time and instead of "Seventh Star", it would've been HUGE!
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 9:49 pm

I am a Sabbath fanatic - but this album is a bowel movement compared to what came before and after. The only Sabbath album I do not have.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 10:42 pm

Yea, well I'm a Sabbath fanatic as well, and I really dig this one...so there!  insane 
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 11:41 am

candlemass wrote:
Had "Headless Cross" came out at the time and instead of "Seventh Star", it would've been HUGE!

I agree. It was a few years off the mark and Iommi & the Sabbath name had such a messy time from Gillan's run up to The Eternal Idol (and even afterwards, really) that it was overlooked, as was The Eternal Idol. I love Seventh Star though. Very disappointed with the two Iommi/Hughes collaborations since.

People knock the lyrics from Headless Cross but tons of bands at that time were writing in a very simple, gimmicky and obvious way. Tony Martin has said he only wrote lyrics that he *thought* was expected from a Sabbath album and has stated that no one, even Iommi, ever questioned his lyrics or made suggestions, even when Martin would ask for input. Of course, then you have Iommi going on his his autobiography knocking Martin's lyrics, but that's the Sabbath way -- be agreeable and passive, then when their back is turned, come out with the criticism. He's since said that he regrets a lot of the "spooky" lyrics for that album though. I think he grew a lot as a lyricist from album to album. Cross Purposes was probably his high point though.

Last edited by Metal Misfit on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 11:45 am

I have to agree that Tony Martin grew as a lyricist since 'Headless Cross'. IMO 'Headless Cross' is an excellent Black Sabbath album, not sure if calling the band Iommi or something else would have helped sales more.

Missing Geezer Butler, very true, but Iommi's killer riffs are still present and Tony Martin certainly did nothing to shame the name or legacy of the name Black Sabbath.

That being said, I find 'Forbidden' to be their worst album, completely uninspired and it seems all parties involved wanted to get the album over and done with and move on.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 11:48 am

manny wrote:

Missing Geezer Butler, very true, but Iommi's killer riffs are still present and Tony Martin certainly did nothing to shame the name or legacy of the name Black Sabbath.

Iommi was lucky to have found Martin, IMO. An incredibly gifted singer who was willing to take the abuse and torment of always having a Ozzy/Dio reunion looming over his head.

I think Iommi did more to damage the band during this time-frame than Martin did.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 12:39 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
manny wrote:

Iommi was lucky to have found Martin, IMO. An incredibly gifted singer who was willing to take the abuse and torment of always having a Ozzy/Dio reunion looming over his head.

I think Iommi did more to damage the band during this time-frame than Martin did.

Those Black Sabbath albums at the time were not only ignored but got a critical pounding, not just from the usual suspects at Rolling Stone, Spin and other magazines, but the metal press. Then suddenly in mid 2000's all the albums started getting reevaluated and have been getting some critical props. What harmed the band was Iommi replacing band members left and right.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Tony martin is the best sabbath singer. Even better than dio. And surely better than ozzy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 2:06 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Tony martin is the best sabbath singer. Even better than dio. And surely better than ozzy.

He might technically be a better singer than Ozzy, but he was NOT a better singer for Black Sabbath.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 2:20 pm

I like Martin's voice but I wouldn't say he was better than Dio. Ozzy? Maybe...
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 3:02 pm

Tony sounded great live up 'till about 90, when he came back in 94 his voice was not as strong live as it once was, and he'd be the first to tell you that...
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
candlemass wrote:

I agree. It was a few years off the mark and Iommi & the Sabbath name had such a messy time from Gillan's run up to The Eternal Idol (and even afterwards, really) that it was overlooked, as was The Eternal Idol. I love Seventh Star though. Very disappointed with the two Iommi/Hughes collaborations since.

People knock the lyrics from Headless Cross but tons of bands at that time were writing in a very simple, gimmicky and obvious way. Tony Martin has said he only wrote lyrics that he *thought* was expected from a Sabbath album and has stated that no one, even Iommi, ever questioned his lyrics or made suggestions, even when Martin would ask for input. Of course, then you have Iommi going on his his autobiography knocking Martin's lyrics, but that's the Sabbath way -- be agreeable and passive, then when their back is turned, come out with the criticism. He's since said that he regrets a lot of the "spooky" lyrics for that album though. I think he grew a lot as a lyricist from album to album. Cross Purposes was probably his high point though.

I was not at all disappointed w/"Fused", in fact I think it a better lp than "Seventh Star."

Nothing wrong w/Tony's writing on that lp, other than the too many "Satan per minute quota!"  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 3:23 pm

I may be in the minority here, but as I look across the entire net, it's a growing minority that has re-visited this lp and found it quite enjoyable. Far from uninspired, a lot of hooks and melodies that make for some really enjoyable songs, just lacks the epic jams that made Sabbath special in the past...
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 3:38 pm

Damn shame about that opening track, reworked a bit, different lyrics, vocal melody, that could've been the epic song that album lacked...
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Never heard Forbidden, but when I'm in the mood for Sabbath, I usually go for Headless Cross - Cross Purposes timeframe (Dehumanizer included). Kind of grew tired of H&H, and can't stand Ozzy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath - Forbidden
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4