Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath - Forbidden

Go down 
+24
ZombieHavoc
Gilbert
EmoElmo
Troublezone
Wurthless
journeyman
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
James B.
Required Fields
Shawn Of Fire
manny
Lurideath
Witchfinder
jstate
SAHB Healer
MoonChild
Temple of Blood
corplhicks
Alex Dee Rokket
Boris2008
candlemass
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm listening to Forbidden now as I type this and it's not a bad album.

The problem as I see it, as I see with pretty much every Sabbath album that isn't Ozzy or Dio, is that it doesn't sound like a Black Sabbath album. Sure, there are a few Iommi signature riffs here and there, but if you didn't know who it was, you can't really tell it was a Sabbath album. At best, it sounds like someone trying to sound like Sabbath.

'Rusty Angels' sounds like a Dokken tune to me.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:56 pm

The first riff on the album may be the best BLACK SABBATH riff ever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 9:05 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

The problem as I see it, as I see with pretty much every Sabbath album that isn't Ozzy or Dio, is that it doesn't sound like a Black Sabbath album.

About as close as they came was Cross Purposes because at least you had the Tony/Geezer tandem (which is the core of the Black Sabbath sound, those two guys playing together). However, the songwriting was a letdown on that record.

I really consider all the Tony Martin stuff to be Iommi solo albums (and Seventh Star of course which is a solo album), it's just not Black Sabbath as far as I'm concerned. I like a good bit of the material on those records but if someone asked me to play them some "definitive" Black Sabbath songs I would never choose anything from those albums.

Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 10:42 pm

I think it sounds better green, yet the dogs haven't driven home yet...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Personally, I like this album. They had absolutely nothing to lose and were able to do some experimenting.

I have more of an emotional attachment to the post-Ozzy Sabbath albums so those will always be my go-to albums when listening to Sabbath.

IMO, Dio was the voice of Sabbath, followed closely by Tony Martin, way down is Gillan and lastly Ozzy. I know that seems like it's biased by my dislike of Ozzy, but I totally think just about anyone could have sang on the 1970's albums and they would be considered classic. The band and the music is what makes them memorable, not the squealing over top of the music.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 11:16 pm

Forbidden is strange in that it is Sabbath going down a new road. I like the album, but it is probably their weakest. I didn't know the Body Count tie-in, but now it makes sense in what I was hearing and couldn't place it. Tony's guitar isn't sounding as "bada$$" as it usually does. Cross Purposes or Headless Cross are far better representations of the Martin era.

Born Again is one Black Sabbath that has a bad rep that isn't deserved.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 12:08 am

This and Cross Purposes are actually the only Sabbath albums I haven't heard yet. I really do like TYR and Headless Cross, though. One of these days I'll eventually get around to jamming them.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 1:14 am

Isn't it fair to say that the Dio records were a bit removed from early Sabbath as well? Sure you've got the styles of the original artists, and perhaps it sounds closest to the final two Ozzy albums, but they were far more rocking and had more of a radio-ready construction. Gone were all the prog and even slow dirge elements that were the staples of the Ozzy years, for the most part. And the overt drug references.

And as for Ozzy, he had charisma and melody. That last one I cannot emphasize enough.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 1:36 am

Wurthless wrote:
This and Cross Purposes are actually the only Sabbath albums I haven't heard yet. I really do like TYR and Headless Cross, though. One of these days I'll eventually get around to jamming them.

I have never heard a note off of Cross Purposes, but since I really enjoy Tyr, Headless Cross, and The Eternal Idol, and have heard good things about it, then I should check it out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 2:48 am

My main complaint with the Forbidden album is that the production sucks!
The producer was Body Count's guitarist Ernie C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 3:31 am

Nobody else sounded like Ozzy in the 70s. As I've said about a million times now...was he a great singer? No. Was he completely unique and memorable? Yes.

Black Sabbath and vocalists to me....

#1 Ozzy. No contest.
#2 Dio (equally as memorable, but the sound of the band changed as well)
#3 Ian Gillan
#4 Ray Gillen (Eternal Idol demo)
#5 Tony Martin

I didn't include Glenn Hughes because Seventh Star is a solo album, only WB wanted it to be called a Black Sabbath record. However, if you have to include it then place Glenn Hughes above Tony Martin in the list.

Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 6:02 am

It's definitely a grower. Not the type of album that you'd like instantly though
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 7:13 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

It may be. But I'm pretty sure it isn't. Razz
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:02 am

S.D. wrote:

I really consider all the Tony Martin stuff to be Iommi solo albums (and Seventh Star of course which is a solo album), it's just not Black Sabbath as far as I'm concerned. I like a good bit of the material on those records but if someone asked me to play them some "definitive" Black Sabbath songs I would never choose anything from those albums.

My feelings exactly ! Like ya mentioned in another post, Geezer in the equation gives it an integral ingredient that makes it Sabbath.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 2:46 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

It may be. But I'm pretty sure it isn't. Razz

laughing
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 9:34 pm

candlemass wrote:
Bonus track on the import is not bad either...

Anyone have a good version of this song on mp3? Sure like to have me a copy...
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 1:09 am

As long as tony martin is behind the mic, I like.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Old thread, it seems...but it's okay. I really dig this record. I never understood the hate.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 5:18 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I totally think just about anyone could have sang on the 1970's albums and they would be considered classic. The band and the music is what makes them memorable, not the squealing over top of the music.

EPIC FAIL!  angry 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 5:27 pm

candlemass wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
I totally think just about anyone could have sang on the 1970's albums and they would be considered classic. The band and the music is what makes them memorable, not the squealing over top of the music.

EPIC FAIL!  angry 

He hates Ozzy. He also doesn't post here any longer so your baiting will bear no fruit.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Wasn't really baiting him, just pointing out the absurdity!
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 6:13 pm

I've always thought the album was decent and that it has an undeserved reputation. Not a classic but I wouldn't even say it's their worst album (I'd probably give that to Never Say Die or Technical Ecstasy).

I was recently reading about this album at Black Sabbath Online and the webmaster there considers "Kiss of Death" to be one of Sabbath's greatest songs. Thought that was interesting.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 6:22 pm

I don't even think that song is the best on that lp...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 6:36 pm

The best songs (as far as I'm concerned) are "Can't Get Close Enough" and "Kiss Of Death", the rest of the album I can live without.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Wow, really? I dig about everything on there...but I'm no idiot, don't think there's anything on there that would even crack their top 30!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath - Forbidden
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next