Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix

Go down 
+2
Boris2008
Witchfinder
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Empty
PostSubject: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 11:49 am

I hope this happens:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/tony_iommi_promises_remix_of_controversial_black_sabbath_album.html?no_takeover

"Tony Iommi Promises Remix of Controversial Black Sabbath Album

Fans of Black Sabbath's much-maligned Tony Martin era have been dealt something of a raw deal when it comes to reissues.

While all of the Ozzy and Dio albums have seen new (and excellent) remasters in recent years, as well as some rather tasty deluxe packages, the only album featuring vocalist Tony Martin to have been given the same treatment is 1987's "The Eternal Idol." With the original Tony Martin Sabbath CDs out of print, it seems that his era of the band has been consigned to the history books.

All the might be set to change, however, with Tony Iommi having revealed that he is planning to remix the band's final album with Martin, 1995's "Forbidden." Arguably the most controversial album in the Sabbath catalog (the other contender is 1983's "Born Again," featuring Deep Purple's Ian Gillan on vocals), "Forbidden" is often criticised for its paper-thin mix, courtesy of Body Count's Ernie C, and dubious guest appearance from Ice T.

Writing on Facebook (via Gibson), Iommi detailed the re-mix plans, stating:

"[Black-Sabbath.com webmaster and Sabbath superfan] Joe Siegler reminded me that June is the 20th anniversary of 'Forbidden.' I really like the album but I was never happy with the overall sound so I'm going to re-mix it before it comes out again. Can't say when, too much going on right now."

Hopefully, Iommi will find a way to fit this project in alongside his current commitments with the Ozzy-fronted incarnation of Black Sabbath. If he could find the time to work on some other Martin era remasters (particularly 1989's excellent "Headless Cross"), that'd be even better."

Last edited by Witchfinder on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 12:27 pm

This article is based on a short blurb where Iommi mentioned remixing Forbidden. Born Again was never mentioned in that discussion.

Iommi wanted to remix Born Again several years ago but the master tapes cannot be found in the Warner Bros. archive, so the plans were shelved. I have heard no announcement that they have since been located. My guess is the guy that wrote this article just threw Born Again in as another "potential candidate" for remix without actually doing his homework and discovering the master tapes are lost.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 12:41 pm

S.D. wrote:
This article is based on a short blurb where Iommi mentioned remixing Forbidden.  Born Again was never mentioned in that discussion.  

Iommi wanted to remix Born Again several years ago but the master tapes cannot be found in the Warner Bros. archive, so the plans were shelved.  I have heard no announcement that they have since been located.  My guess is the guy that wrote this article just threw Born Again in as another "potential candidate" for remix without actually doing his homework and discovering the master tapes are lost.

My mistake, I had Born Again on the brain. I knew this was about Forbidden. I blame my love of genre labeling. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 12:41 pm

S.D. wrote:
This article is based on a short blurb where Iommi mentioned remixing Forbidden.  Born Again was never mentioned in that discussion.  

Iommi wanted to remix Born Again several years ago but the master tapes cannot be found in the Warner Bros. archive, so the plans were shelved.  I have heard no announcement that they have since been located.  My guess is the guy that wrote this article just threw Born Again in as another "potential candidate" for remix without actually doing his homework and discovering the master tapes are lost.

I thought that they always made copies of the master and these are often used instead of the original master for remixing as they tend to have been used less. I have to admit that my only knowledge of this is from hearing the guy who's remixing the Maiden albums though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 12:54 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

I thought that they always made copies of the master and these are often used instead of the original master for remixing as they tend to have been used less. I have to admit that my only knowledge of this is from hearing the guy who's remixing the Maiden albums though.

You are thinking about the stereo master tapes (and safety copies) that are used for remastering purposes. Those are 2-track tapes that contain the final mix. There are also LP masters that were specifically EQ'd for pressing to vinyl. There are often multiple copies made and good mastering engineers always get all the material that exists from the label so they can compare the different copies to find the best sounding elements to use for the remaster.

To actually remix an album you have to possess the original multi-track tapes from the session. Depending on what equipment was used they could be 8 track, 16 track, 24 track, 48 track, etc. To remix you have to have access to all the individual elements so you can build a brand new mix from them.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 1:04 pm

S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

You are thinking about the stereo master tapes (and safety copies) that are used for remastering purposes.  Those are 2-track tapes that contain the final mix.  There are also LP masters that were specifically EQ'd for pressing to vinyl.  There are often multiple copies made and good mastering engineers always get all the material that exists from the label so they can compare the different copies to find the best sounding elements to use for the remaster.

To actually remix an album you have to possess the original multi-track tapes from the session.  Depending on what equipment was used they could be 8 track, 16 track, 24 track, 48 track, etc.  To remix you have to have access to all the individual elements so you can build a brand new mix from them.

Gotcha  cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 1:14 pm

On a similar note Steven Wilson has been remixing the Jethro Tull catalog (in both 5.1 and stereo) but the multi-track tapes for the album Stand Up are missing so that title cannot be done.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 2:50 pm

A similar fate befell Fish from Marillion. He is prepping reissues of four solo albums, but two of them can't be remixed because he can't afford the tape baking/tranferring costs (no real chance to recoup) and another was recorded to hard drives that have long since failed, leaving the multi-tracks lost forever.

Sad to think of the material that's been lost over the years that we're only now starting to become aware of. Fortunately, there's still the original mixes/masters AND plenty of good stuff that can still be tidied up and given a fresh coat of paint.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 5:03 pm

This album is terrible. The songs are terrible. The mix in it I never cared about because of how shitty the songs in general are. They need to remaster The Headless Cross and Tyr! Was The Eternal Idol ever remastered?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 5:07 pm

I like Kiss Of Death and Can't Get Close Enough To You. Those are the only 2 tracks that made my unofficial "Tony Martin Sabbath" compilation.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 5:09 pm

Lurideath wrote:
This album is terrible. The songs are terrible. The mix in it I never cared about because of how shitty the songs in general are. They need to remaster The Headless Cross and Tyr! Was The Eternal Idol ever remastered?

The Eternal Idol has already been done: http://www.amazon.com/ETERNAL-IDOL-BLACK-SABBATH/dp/B004222UC8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1434488926&sr=1-1&keywords=black+sabbath+eternal+idol

The IRS albums are all in limbo - except for Dehumanizer which has already been done. Iommi has said in the past that he will remaster them all including The Headless Cross and Tyr.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 5:51 pm

I liked "Illusion of Power" and "I Won't Lie to You" a lot.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 10:41 pm

I hated this one when I first got it, but it really grew on me. Once I washed my mind of what it should sound like, I found myself really liking the songs. Really hope all the Martin era lp's get the polished treatment!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 10:48 pm

Best Sabbath video ever!

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix   Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath - Forbidden - Remix
Page 1 of 1